You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Manager Poll (Sans Alonso)

Next Liverpool Manager  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Next Liverpool Manager

• Ruben Amorim
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Julian Nagelsmann
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Marco Silva
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Michel Sanchez
    • Unai Emery
    • Vitor Pereira
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Julen Lopetegui
    • Simone Inzaghi
    • Graham Potter
    • Other (Specify in comments)

20 hours ago, sir roger said:

BBC gone down the computer analysis route, and roughly come up with the order of my preferences.

Screenshot_20240329-230830_Samsung Internet.jpg

One for the shitness of modern football

29 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

So no flash in the pan, genuinely knows his stuff?

He got his two previous clubs promoted. Less of a surprise with Rayo, quite surprising with Huesca. It just seems likely he'll go to City due to the style of football and the fact UAE also owns Girona. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

He got his two previous clubs promoted. Less of a surprise with Rayo, quite surprising with Huesca. It just seems likely he'll go to City due to the style of football and the fact UAE also owns Girona. 

All things being equal, would it be Inzaghi, Motta and/or Girona guy?

This is assuming Edwards and Hughes are too backwards to make Olid manager.

18 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

All things being equal, would it be Inzaghi, Motta and/or Girona guy?

This is assuming Edwards and Hughes are too backwards to make Olid manager.

I think that is quite difficult to answer because a post Klopp world is going to see a lot of recalibration regarding expectations. Inzaghi is the best manager now, but I'm not really sure how he'd take to having the 6th highest budget in the league or whatever it is. He also doesn't strike me as someone who would take much fucking around from people "above" him at the club. 

We've really had no right to be competing like we have done. Klopp's overachieving has been enormously undersold by the media over the last few years. Partly in deference, for different reasons, to the two Manchester clubs. 

I think whoever we choose is in all likelihood going to have us doing about as we "should" for a while and that, to some, won't be acceptable. 

15 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I think that is quite difficult to answer because a post Klopp world is going to see a lot of recalibration regarding expectations. Inzaghi is the best manager now, but I'm not really sure how he'd take to having the 6th highest budget in the league or whatever it is. He also doesn't strike me as someone who would take much fucking around from people "above" him at the club. 

We've really had no right to be competing like we have done. Klopp's overachieving has been enormously undersold by the media over the last few years. Partly in deference, for different reasons, to the two Manchester clubs. 

I think whoever we choose is in all likelihood going to have us doing about as we "should" for a while and that, to some, won't be acceptable. 

There are a lot of variables in a post Klopp world.

One, that might be getting undersold, is that Guardiola is very likely on his way out within the next two years. 

Whatever City’s huge financial advantages are, they’ve been extremely fortunate to have a world class manager in charge. Whomever they bring in will be a downgrade and extremely unlikely to replicate the success.

We’ve seen both Chelsea and the other Mancs spend extraordinary amounts of money to either be 9th(and playing for penalties in a cup final, not sure how Pochettino wasn’t sacked for admitting that) or be almost comedically coached, that second half against the mancs being a prime example.

I would say, though, that an outstanding has been making herself known:

https://instagram.fman2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t51.29350-15/364998413_3548601668757446_2912934850211530851_n.webp?se=7&stp=dst-jpg_e35&_nc_ht=instagram.fman2-1.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=_wuzet6BoQEAX-o6iZX&edm=AOQ1c0wBAAAA&ccb=7-5&ig_cache_key=MzE2MTg5ODU3OTA0MjM0MjUzMg%3D%3D.2-ccb7-5&oh=00_AfC_7CDRcuoksU77EV_vAHvMUmjO47eCeRAL42RvFJ0O7w&oe=660E61AF&_nc_sid=8b3546

https://instagram.fman2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t51.2885-15/277477365_176363731387638_2827116215841062144_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_e15_p320x320&efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6ImltYWdlX3VybGdlbi43MjB4MTEyMC5zZHIifQ&_nc_ht=instagram.fman2-2.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=wGkuntt4WxkAX_rvAw5&edm=APU89FABAAAA&ccb=7-5&oh=00_AfD3KmDXoFCdarYFifAucbLa5dHf6sGAyHlVCFdtmAUf0w&oe=660E5C37&_nc_sid=bc0c2c

https://instagram.fman2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t51.29350-15/210688256_886377635282810_6453358187815267154_n.jpg?stp=c0.135.1080.1080a_dst-jpg_e35_s320x320&efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6ImltYWdlX3VybGdlbi4xMDgweDEzNTAuc2RyIn0&_nc_ht=instagram.fman2-1.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=vpfWOd9tLZIAX-sYaHS&edm=APU89FABAAAA&ccb=7-5&oh=00_AfBrp7SwZLuloynIufW5YyJVlMmUUGnp0OFBwVfcpKgbYA&oe=660E7CA7&_nc_sid=bc0c2c

11 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Well yeah, Liverpool football club “should” be winning silverware every single season so anything below that and it won’t be acceptable. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Well yeah, Liverpool football club “should” be winning silverware every single season so anything below that and it won’t be acceptable. 

If we're getting massively outspent by City, United, Arsenal, Newcastle and Chelsea, with a good manager (rather than the best in the world), then reality isn't going to give a fuck about we "should" be doing.

44 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

If we're getting massively outspent by City, United, Arsenal, Newcastle and Chelsea, with a good manager (rather than the best in the world), then reality isn't going to give a fuck about we "should" be doing.

Don’t forget Tottenham and Villa, another two clubs that have a considerably higher net spend over the last five years.

History is one thing, but unless FSG are prepared to spend that sort of money post-Klopp, annual Europa League qualification with the occasional punt at top five (assuming the PL gets and keeps the extra place) might be a good achievement in context. 

I’m not expecting us to throw money around like Man Utd and Chelsea, but we can’t expect the magic to continue without Klopp if we’re still spending like West Ham.

• Downvote 1

I thought de Zerbi showed what he can do today. 

Yes they lost but fuck me he has had he squad battered by sales last summer and injuries. I think i read 7 players out today and while we were fairly comfortable in the second half half we made adjustments he showed he gets his teams set up to play his tactics and the players know their job and can slot in for injured players. Not saying he should be the first choice but i think if you put him at Sporting or Benfica he would have at least matched what Amorim etc have done. 

4 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Don’t forget Tottenham and Villa, another two clubs that have a considerably higher net spend over the last five years.

History is one thing, but unless FSG are prepared to spend that sort of money post-Klopp, annual Europa League qualification with the occasional punt at top five (assuming the PL gets and keeps the extra place) might be a good achievement in context. 

I’m not expecting us to throw money around like Man Utd and Chelsea, but we can’t expect the magic to continue without Klopp if we’re still spending like West Ham.

Either I'll be pissed off because FSG will continue to be minge bags, making the next managers job difficult and we'll underachieve. 

Or I'll be pissed off because they'll stick their hands in their pockets for a change for the new guy, and I'll be questioning why they couldn't do that for our once in a generation manager. 

• Upvote 1

On 29/03/2024 at 19:17, Paul said:

If we’re going to take a punt, I’d be just as happy with Ljinders than one of these other sub-Xabi bums. 

That was my feeling if we couldn’t get Alonso and I still feel the same.

2 hours ago, Aventus said:

Either I'll be pissed off because FSG will continue to be minge bags, making the next managers job difficult and we'll underachieve. 

Or I'll be pissed off because they'll stick their hands in their pockets for a change for the new guy, and I'll be questioning why they couldn't do that for our once in a generation manager. 

Wouldn't worry about the latter happening.

Just a point on De Zerbi and his pretty little possession stats.

We don’t need to be twatting around at the the back while trying to pull people out of shape that deep.

Thats mid table stuff, and works clearly, but we ain’t mid table and he’d have to find something else quickly as what he does would only be necessary against a couple of teams, away, per year.

I can see us going for Nagelsmann. He'll be free to leave the German team in the summer, unlike Amorim who will cost £20M just to release him from his contract. I think that will weigh heavily in his favour as far as FSG is concerned. I wouldn't mind him as the next manager either, since Alonso is now out of the running.

• Upvote 1

I like Nagleman but there's plenty of question marks over him the last 18 months or so. The reports all started on Amorim the week Alonso ruled himself out. It all seemed leaked by the club imo, started with Amorim is the main option behind Alonso,then Alonso rules himself out, to Amorim the front runner. 

I think we know who it is, just waiting on Sporting to wrap up their season however it ends. Portuguese cup semi final 2nd leg tomorrow, taking a 2-1 lead to Benfica and play Benfica at home at the weekend and a win would put them just about out of reach with a 4pt lead and a game in hand. 

Nagelsmann is the youngest manager ever to win a Champions League game, he has taken three different clubs to the CL, he has won the Bundesliga, he has taken RB Leipzig to the semi finals of the CL, he has reached the quarter final frequently with good teams.

I like to look at how a club has done before and after a manager to try and see the bigger picture. This is how it works out for Nagelsmann. It looks like he will either keep a team at a high level or improve it when he takes charge, thats certainly what Im looking for in the new manager. The fact he has done it for three different teams like Hoffenheim, Leipzig and Bayern is a good security to bring with you into the job at a club like Liverpool. 

Yes he was sacked at Bayern when he was 1 point behind Dortmund after 25 games and in the quarter finals of both the CL and the German cup, but the results stayed the same and Bayern won it because Dortmund dropped more points the last 9. 

Being a young manager can be difficult, especially in such a strong experienced group as Bayern with big personalities. The people who fired him at Bayern are no longer in the job though, maybe the problem at Bayern was something else than Nagelsmann, this season kind of confirms that. 

But like everyone else, Nagelsmann gets older every year, this summer he will turn 37. He is the young manager with the best background availible, he has got the experience and he has got the results, above all he knows how its like at a top club in Europe and his results in the CL have also been good. 

TSG Hoffenheim:

Before Nagelsmann.

12/13: 16. 34 8 7 19 42-67 31p (win playoff to stay in Bundesliga)

13/14: 9. 34 11 11 12 72-70 44p

14/15: 8. 34 12 8 14 49-55 44p

15/16: 17. 20 2 8 10 18-30 14p

Nagelsmann appointed manager 11. February 2016.

15/16: 5. 14 7 2 5 21-24 23p

(15/16: 15. 34 9 10 15 39-54 37p)

16/17: 4. 34 16 14 4 64-37 62p ( CL)

17/18: 3. 34 15 10 9 66-48 55p ( CL)

18/19: 9. 34 13 12 9 70-52 51p (announced before the season it was his last)

After Nagelsmann.

19/20: 6. 34 15 7 12 53-53 52p

20/21: 11. 34 11 10 13 52-54 43p

21/22: 9. 34 13 7 14 58-60 46p

RB Leipzig:

16 /17: 2. 34 20 7 7 66-39 67p

17/18: 6. 34 15 8 11 57-53 53p

18/19: 3. 34 19 9 6 63-29 66p

Nagelsmann appointed.

19/20: 3. 34 18 12 4 81-37 66p (semifinal CL)

20/21: 2. 34 19 8 7 60-32 65p (last 16 CL, lost to us)

After Nagelsmann.

21/22: 4 34 17 7 10 72-37 58p

22/23: 3. 34 20 6 8 64-41 66p

23/24: (5. 27 15 5 7 60-32 50p) ( season not finished)

Bayern München: 

18/19: 1. 34 24 6 4 88-32 78p

19/20: 1. 34 26 4 4 100-32 82p

20/21: 1. 34 24 6 4 99-44 78p

Nagelsmann appointed

21/22: 1. 34 24 5 5 97-37 77p (knocked out in CL quarter finals)

22/23: 2. 25 15 7 3 72-27 52p ( still in CL quarter final and DFB - Pokal quarter final)

After Nagelsmann from 24th of March

22/23: 2. 9 6 1 2 20-11 19p

(22/23: 1. 34 21 8 5 92-38 71p) ( finish equal points with Dortmund, better GD)

23/24 2. 27 19 3 5 78-33 60p ( season not finished yet)

For his time with Germany I found this.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/how-will-germany-line-up-julian-nagelsmann-euro-2024-24849

To sum it all up, he’s probably the best availible option out there, the only negative I have found is the fact he’s a vegan, but I can live with that as long as he gets the results. If he’s not, then Alonso will be brought in next season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

Nagelsmann is a non starter for me as he'll be focused on the Euro's all summer.

Replacing Klopp is a big enough ask, and even harder if you only have around five weeks before your first league game.

The final is on the 14th of July, if we make a deal with Nagelsmann it would be sorted long before the Euros start, most players will not be back for pre-season before that anyway. 

The Copa America final is on the same date.

The new backroom staff will be able to take care off those not on international duty.

The new season kicks off the 17th of August, we will play Community Shield as PL winners the week before that though.