You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Stepping down at the end of the season

dandyman

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Are people for real? He signed a contract until 2026. Not just him but his whole staff are going AS WELL.

Something clearly has happened behind the scenes.

Another fine mess by FSG

8 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Anyone speculating about motives, falling outs, anything like that, just watch the video

I'm at work so can't really watch a video.

Does he explain why he's announced this now?

This has totally thrown me, had my head buried in work this morning and happened to see one of my FB chats that is usually dead popping off as it's full of WUM football supporter mates of mine(you can guess the chat already going on there).

Klopp was my favourite manager before he came to the club and absolutely is an all time great to myself personally so it's sad to see him go, I'll sure as fuck enjoy the rest of the seasons with him and hopefully he can get a proper goodbye after all the footballs done.

1 minute ago, Funkasy said:

How the hell have we lost probably the best setup in world football with everyoke behind the scene and now our front figure and club symbol all fucking off in the span of 18 months?

It's probably worth pointing out that in that period Klopp also signed a new deal.

Just now, Mook said:

Not really- points out he hasnt got the energy to keep going again and again.

Which is a worry given the hectic run-in on the horizon 

1 minute ago, Mook said:

He basically said it couldn't be kept secret 'in the world we live in' and in an ideal world he'd have waited till we'd won 4 trophies at the end of the season. 

Just now, Tj hooker said:

Stop with the conspiracy theories he's worn out give the man a break just remember the great times he's given us 

Its strange, I thought he had a glint back in the eye after looking exhausted last season.

He's looked refreshed. 

Just now, rubble-rouser said:

He basically said it couldn't be kept secret 'in the world we live in' and in an ideal world he'd have waited till we'd won 4 trophies at the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Not really- points out he hasnt got the energy to keep going again and again.

Which is a worry given the hectic run-in on the horizon 

Thanks both.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

It’s 24 minutes long and I haven’t listened to all of it yet but it seems that he told ‘the club’ of his intentions at the end of last year. I think he’s just run out of energy and needs a normal life for a while.

There was never going to be a ‘right’ time but this way is absolutely in keeping with everything we know about him

• Upvote 1

I think he saw signs of it all falling apart like at Dortmund last season, that would burn out most people but he's built another team with a tonne of young talent and wants to leave in a positive place.

Makes sense to me.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

And yet that would have taken the shine off any achievements. This way gives everyone time to get accustomed to what’s coming and enjoy every last bit of the ride

• Upvote 5

Whatever happens for the rest of the season will be spun into a retrospective narrative. 

Every game we win will be because the players are giving their all. Every one we don't will be because they feel undermined. 

Who know how they will react?

The bigger concern, the more I think about it, is how to keep a lid on who the new manager is before the start of next season. I don't think we will or can. New signings will want to know (a real possibility of how this will have been leaked anyway). 

The saving grace is that, like the Ferguson/Moyes scenario (and let's hope this is where the parallels end) Klopp has the full respect of every player at the club. Nobody will be downing tools. Ferguson took THAT United team to the league after he'd said he was going. It's a reason to be cheerful, no more.