You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-Season 2023

TD_LFC

8 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

As things stand I don't even know who we will play as a 6. 

If Bajectic and Thiago are injured and we don't sign anyone - who plays the 6? Seriously, help me. 

We'll sign someone.

Although it is unlikely now IMO that whoever it is will play in opening game/s.

Bit concerning how Leicester got behind us in the first 15 mins, but after what looked to be Klopp giving VVD a bollocking, I thought we were very good.

Happy for Nunez to score again. Jota & Clarke took their goals well. Couple of nice assists from Mo. Shame we didn’t get a few more in the 2nd half.

Klopp really does look to have a tough decision to make on who starts v Chelsea up front. I’d still lean towards Mo-Gakpo-Diaz, I’m not as convinced as I was when everyone reported back.

22 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Only pre-season obviously, but our midfield just looks infinitely better with the added injection of athleticism, mobility, pace and quality of Macca and Szobo, and without the sluggishness, negativity and creative vacuum of Fabinho and Al-Hendo.

It's  a massive upgrade. Our midfield was everton quality.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Bit concerning how Leicester got behind us in the first 15 mins, but after what looked to be Klopp giving VVD a bollocking, I thought we were very good.

Happy for Nunez to score again. Jota & Clarke took their goals well. Couple of nice assists from Mo. Shame we didn’t get a few more in the 2nd half.

Klopp really does look to have a tough decision to make on who starts v Chelsea up front. I’d still lean towards Mo-Gakpo-Diaz, I’m not as convinced as I was when everyone reported back.

Diaz, Nunez, Salah, for me. 

Think it's been mentioned but in addition to the minimum of 1 midfielder we will definitely get, a centre back would also be very helpful. But, if as is likely with us we don't get one, not having cl should be huge and we shouldnt be playing virg or Konate until the late stages of Europa, cotton wool treatment for them both 

For now, the bad defending feels more to me like an individuals issue than a system issue. An older van Dijk and then Matip and Gomez who are worse players. At our best, because of the new midfield, I think it will be like 21-22 where people complained about the way we defended and how risky it was, but actually we squeezed teams really well.

But there will be times where individuals are exposed and they will look really bad.

• Upvote 1

With regard to the smaller crowd today - The organisers of the "Festival of Football" hiked ticket prices massively.

Most locals opted to just pick up tickets for the game against Bayern on Wednesday.

A designated "home" or "away" ticket is priced at S$199 (~£116). The cheapest tickets that had been made available were half that cost at S$99 (~£58).

Not sold out for the Bayern game yet either according to Ticketek, though should be a much bigger crowd than today.

1 hour ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

You can't go far wrong picking any 3 of them really. The forward line isn't a problem; I think most would agree with that. 

Agree with this, we have an embarrassment of riches up front. Pick any three and tell them to get fucking scoring.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mook said:

Agree with this, we have an embarrassment of riches up front. Pick any three and tell them to get fucking scoring.

Imagine defending against Diaz, Gakpo and Mo for an hour and then looking up to see Jota, Darwin and Kylian waiting to come on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Mo

Jota

Darwin

Spoilt for choice. Pace, hunger and goals for days.

I still don’t think Klopp fully trusts Nunez. His comments after the game were on the press not being 100% and allowed Leicester their opportunities to play out and cause issues. 

When asked about Nunez, he said this…

IMG_9682.png

…maybe I’m reading too into it, to me I still think Klopp thinks Nunez isn’t 100% on the press / defensive side of things yet. 

I actually thought our shape first half was decent and I liked how Mac Allister would press beyond the front 3, which made the ball back to the keeper a more difficult pass. I’m on holiday and only watched it on my iPad by the pool, I can’t say it had 100% my attention. I trust Klopp saw more areas to work on than I did. 

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'd be tempted to start Gakpo centrally until our midfield is settled. He drops intelligently, providing something more akin to Firmino.

The more I see of Gakpo, the more I think he'll be giving us those joyous "You cheeky bastard" moments that Firmino used to provide.

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

I'd start Jota, Gakpo, Salah.

2 hours ago, Em City said:

Jota - Gakpo - Salah

Although I think Diaz will start, Jota starting wouldn’t surprise me. 

Based on Klopp’s comments, I think Jota has more of a claim to start than Nunez. 

3 hours ago, Allan said:

With regard to the smaller crowd today - The organisers of the "Festival of Football" hiked ticket prices massively.

Most locals opted to just pick up tickets for the game against Bayern on Wednesday.

A designated "home" or "away" ticket is priced at S$199 (~£116). The cheapest tickets that had been made available were half that cost at S$99 (~£58).

Not sold out for the Bayern game yet either according to Ticketek, though should be a much bigger crowd than today.

Thats shit on the locals, basically pricing a lot of them out.

We look so much more composed and much more suited to keeping and recycling the ball with Gakpo in the 9 especially against teams where we're expected to have most of the ball.

Also be interested to see a really compact City-esque set up of 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Nunez - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gakpo - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Soboszlai

- - - - - - - - - Jones - - - - Mac Allister - - - - - - - - - - 

given a go in a few cup games to see how it works, 4 really hard working, high pressing, transitional players behind an out an out 9.

12 minutes ago, an tha said:

Over a £100 to watch a fucking pre season kick about.

The greedy bastards deserve the stadiums to be empty.

Football really is a fucking cesspit of greed.

It's a crazy price, having said that salaries in Singapore are much higher than they are here.