You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-Season 2023

TD_LFC

8 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Bit concerning how Leicester got behind us in the first 15 mins, but after what looked to be Klopp giving VVD a bollocking, I thought we were very good.

Happy for Nunez to score again. Jota & Clarke took their goals well. Couple of nice assists from Mo. Shame we didn’t get a few more in the 2nd half.

Klopp really does look to have a tough decision to make on who starts v Chelsea up front. I’d still lean towards Mo-Gakpo-Diaz, I’m not as convinced as I was when everyone reported back.

I don't see how Jota is left out. 

We really need Nunez to be less involved in build-up, he's crap at passing. 

Diaz isn't having a good time at the moment either, but a great impact sub. 

6 hours ago, Scott_M said:

When asked about Nunez, he said this…

IMG_9682.png

I'm starting to wonder at this stage if Nunez will ever be the player Klopp wants him to be. Not sure if that'll happen and if not he'll just have to try and force his way into the team by consistently scoring goals instead.

9 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I'm starting to wonder at this stage if Nunez will ever be the player Klopp wants him to be. Not sure if that'll happen and if not he'll just have to try and force his way into the team by consistently scoring goals instead.

He looks as likely to score and cause chaos as ever but the ball’s in his court now isn’t it, he’s been here over a year.

5 hours ago, kemskem said:

He looks as likely to score and cause chaos as ever but the ball’s in his court now isn’t it, he’s been here over a year.

I agree with this . If we don’t see a lot more end product from this lad then I’m concerned. We seem heavily invested in Nunez to deliver and if he bombs then I think we’ll struggle up front 

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

I agree with this . If we don’t see a lot more end product from this lad then I’m concerned. We seem heavily invested in Nunez to deliver and if he bombs then I think we’ll struggle up front 

Klopp seems more concerned with his pressing at the moment though so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gakpo or Jota chosen ahead of him even if he nets before they do.

8 hours ago, kemskem said:

Yeah I hope he doesn't end up one of those players where we wonder if he could've scored enough goals if he'd had enough time on the pitch. I know he got a fair amount of time last season but not sure if he's going to get as much in future if Klopp is more settled with Gakpo.

I have no issues with Gakpo either, I like them both but want them both to be in the team together as well at some point.

With the league cup and early rounds of the UEFA cup all happening in the first half of the year I think we'll keep a core of the young players around for the first half of the season.

I'd expect the likes of Quansah, Clarke, Doak (maybe even McConnel and Scanlon) to stick around until January before some disappear off on loan for 6 months once opportunities dry up and we get to the business end of the competition.

I wonder if they'll keep Morton and Gordon around as well or whether they'll take the Ramsay approach and decide that following injuries they're best served getting a full season of play time (they may be ultra cautious with Gordon give him a local loan and have him training with the club for a few days a week to monitor him). 

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

With the league cup and early rounds of the UEFA cup all happening in the first half of the year I think we'll keep a core of the young players around for the first half of the season.

I'd expect the likes of Quansah, Clarke, Doak (maybe even McConnel and Scanlon) to stick around until January before some disappear off on loan for 6 months once opportunities dry up and we get to the business end of the competition.

I wonder if they'll keep Morton and Gordon around as well or whether they'll take the Ramsay approach and decide that following injuries they're best served getting a full season of play time (they may be ultra cautious with Gordon give him a local loan and have him training with the club for a few days a week to monitor him). 

I imagine Connor Bradley will get some games at right back this season.

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I imagine Connor Bradley will get some games at right back this season.

Already considering him part of the first team squad at this point, I don't think he's one that get's considered for a loan in January. 

I probably shouldn't have added Doak on the same basis.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Where’s Luke Chambers been for pre-season?

4 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Think he was left with the U21's because there's chance he goes off on loan to Leverkusen.

Not seen his name mentioned in any of the match reports for the friendlies that the 21s have played so far, and the line-ups for each of the 3 games they've played have not been posted in any of the offal match reports.

There are highlights of the Kidderminster friendly on YouTube, though I cannot see that he's playing in this game.

Suggests to me that he either has a knock, or is indeed just being wrapped up ahead of a potential loan move. It was always likely that he'd be heading back out on loan this coming season anyway, regardless if he was with the first team squad or the 21s during pre-season.

Leverkusen have brought in Alex Grimaldo from Benfica on a free during the summer, so he'll be first choice left back/wingback - With that in mind, Chambers would at best be 2nd choice behind Grimaldo if a loan move were to pan out. Obviously the step up in quality from Kilmarnock or our 21s would be massively beneficial for Chambers, but I would have concerns about his game time.

I want him on loan up at Aberdeen. He'd get loads of game time there, and would have group stage European football, be it in the Europa League or the Conference League.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

Where's Konate?

Edit - ignore me, my eyesight is fucked.

I skipped over the defence and assumed he was there, minus Matip, will be the side against Chelsea.

Would guess this team will play the majority of the minutes today and then Darmstadt will get the reverse team.