You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So we are playing that dirge tomorrow then...

an tha

Club has confirmed it will be playing that fucking dirge of a so called national anthem ahead of kick off tomorrow....

I suppose they feel they had no real choice, I find it very disappointing personally. 

Will be interesting to see how ground reacts and of course the inevitable pile on from the media and social media if as feel is likely there is significant opposition to it.

The PL IMO should have left this alone, absolutely no need for it.

Liverpool believe they have been put in an impossible situation after taking the decision to play the national anthem before their home game against Brentford on Saturday - despite strong opposition from some supporters.

The Premier League contacted clubs last week to "strongly suggest" the anthem was played ahead of matches this weekend to mark the coronation of King Charles III and the Queen Consort at Westminster Abbey, and provided a list of activities for clubs to be involved in.

And the Reds have now decided to acknowledge the coronation by also playing the national anthem, which will take place before kick-off when players and officials will congregate around the centre circle.

Liverpool have held discussions with many stakeholders this week and are aware there is strong opinion against playing the national anthem. A significant number of supporters made clear their opposition to the suggestion with chants during Wednesday's Premier League win over Fulham at Anfield.

However, Liverpool are aware the strength of feeling on the issue has put them in an impossible position, with fans at Anfield having a personal choice how they mark the coronation and react to the anthem being played.

I hope instead of just booing (although there should certainly be booing) that there's some quality chanting.  Certainly "Stick your coronation up your arse" should get a rendition during it.  But also some other stuff, and let it continue after the shite song finishes too..

2 minutes ago, Baltar said:

An absolutely stupid decision. Wtf does this have to do with football matches? We should save ourselves the hassle and backlash by not playing the anthem. 

Problem is they'd get stick for not playing it 'disrespectful' 'every other club plays it' blah blah blah.

So it was always gonna be either get stick for not playing it or get stick when play it and fans boo it/sing over it....

Club/s should never have been put in this situation by PL.

57 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If I was a British Liverpool player (which fortunately for you lot I’m not) I’d fuck the centre circle off and go and stand with the Kop.

Any English International has it before every England game anyway.

I woukd prefer a malevolent silence with every Liverpudlian crowd member looking like they would be happy to peg William with a cactus.

I'm going to be pedantic and point out that The Sex Pistols song title & lyrics are no longer applicable.

With regards the enforced playing of it, I would boo if I was there but honestly I can't believe how stories like this become 'News', Football is such a circus now.

I'm already pissed off that there will be more outrage at Anfield booing than there will be homeless people being removed so they don't appear on the coronation footage. DM reporters will already be praying that there is widespread boo's so they can be OUTRAGED! I fucking hate this country. 

• Upvote 3