You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Maybe the Mancs whine about them about ten times more than we do.

In all honesty I can not see why the mans want shut of them. The money Man U have spent on transfers is astronomical with regards to the teams achievements since old whiskey nose called it a day.

Just now, Strontium said:

It's funny, nobody seems to dispute that the Glazers are terrible owners, and United spend about ten times as much as we do.

The roofs leaking lad! 

FSG are too stringent I don't know if anybody can argue against that. They are not outwardly bad owners but their frugality has gone beyond the point where its actually holding us back and for it to be at a time when we have a manager capable of actually taking us to the pinnacle it just feels unjust.

• Upvote 1

Are we really comparing FSG to the Glazers. I don't really like FSG as the are overly cautious. But they didn't bundle us with the debt of buying the club,allow the stadium and training ground to rot and have no plan on the field. 

FSG have many issues with them but the only thing the Glazers have done better(if they really have,as its been pissed away) is spend

21 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

I know. I posted it last transfer window too. Its not far off the truth though.

I’m not sure. I’m normally the one posting ‘buy somebody you cunts’ but this summer feels different. I think they are going to spend on a few players. We’ll see shortly.

31 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

What’s to respond to? They’re dogshit owners, the evidence is there for all to see, they won the lottery with Klopp. No Klopp no trophies and lower mid-table hovering, you think they’re good knock yourself out fella 

What do you mean what's to respond to? You have a definitive opinion that is definitively wrong. I added a caveat that is more in line with reality which you didn't seem to know how to respond to. That's your problem.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The roofs leaking lad! 

FSG are too stringent I don't know if anybody can argue against that. They are not outwardly bad owners but their frugality has gone beyond the point where its actually holding us back and for it to be at a time when we have a manager capable of actually taking us to the pinnacle it just feels unjust.

I think you’ve contradicted yourself there tbh. We’re either one of the biggest clubs in the world or we’re not. If you believe that we are then the frugality they have employed is outrageously bad and is surely the work of terrible owners.

1 minute ago, Red Hot said:

In all honesty I can not see why the mans want shut of them. The money Man U have spent on transfers is astronomical with regards to the teams achievements since old whiskey nose called it a day.

They moan about them because they reckon they put it all on the club but they are able to write off expensive flops casually then go and spend more money on shite players. They can't moan about them backing managers or paying high wages so start moaning about Old Trafford being a dump. If they were winning league titles no one would give a shit. Just the odd Norwich scarf every so often to prove how edgy they are. 

It's also funny that when both clubs were being possibly taken over by Arab states Spirit of Shankly got together with the Manc equivalent to oppose the clubs being taken over But as soon as the Mancs got a serious sniff of cash from Qatar they just fucked SOS off and forgot about protesting it. 

They just want to be the best at everything just to have bragging rights. They barely enjoy the foort but love all the top bantz about scousers being shit and having one PL title. 

FSG get the club to pay for the stadium upgrades rather than fund it themselves and spend as little as possible on the squad, they brag about sponsorship deals but then act like a club on the verge of administration when it comes to paying for anything. I'd love to see the Mancs cope with them as owners. I think some of them would actually top themselves. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think you’ve contradicted yourself there tbh. We’re either one of the biggest clubs in the world or we’re not. If you believe that we are then the frugality they have employed is outrageously bad and is surely the work of terrible owners.

Because there's examples of owners across football that run football clubs into the ground to the point their existence is in jeopardy. We will always be run financially sound so that's a positive tick but we can spend over 300 million quid and not be close to being in FFP trouble that suggests they really are treating us like a hedgefund treats any business be it a chicken farm or clothes factory and that's not what elite level sports is, we shouldn't accept existing to be their portfolios little earner.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Because there's examples of owners across football that run football clubs into the ground to the point their existence is in jeopardy. We will always be run financially sound so that's a positive tick but we can spend over 300 million quid and not be close to being in FFP trouble that suggests they really are treating us like a hedgefund treats any business be it a chicken farm or clothes factory and that's not what elite level sports is, we shouldn't accept existing to be their portfolios little earner.

Well yeah, at the end of the day they are nowhere near good or ambitious enough for a club of our size. I just don’t see how this can be argued. It’s so overwhelmingly obvious. The evidence is all there . They really need to go, they are awful

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

They moan about them because they reckon they put it all on the club but they are able to write off expensive flops casually then go and spend more money on shite players. They can't moan about them backing managers or paying high wages so start moaning about Old Trafford being a dump. If they were winning league titles no one would give a shit. Just the odd Norwich scarf every so often to prove how edgy they are. 

It's also funny that when both clubs were being possibly taken over by Arab states Spirit of Shankly got together with the Manc equivalent to oppose the clubs being taken over But as soon as the Mancs got a serious sniff of cash from Qatar they just fucked SOS off and forgot about protesting it. 

They just want to be the best at everything just to have bragging rights. They barely enjoy the foort but love all the top bantz about scousers being shit and having one PL title. 

FSG get the club to pay for the stadium upgrades rather than fund it themselves and spend as little as possible on the squad, they brag about sponsorship deals but then act like a club on the verge of administration when it comes to paying for anything. I'd love to see the Mancs cope with them as owners. I think some of them would actually top themselves. 

Spot on

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The roofs leaking lad! 

We constantly go in to a season 2 or 3 players short, and that makes a big difference at the business end of the season. 

Scrambling around on the last day of the transfer window and signing Arthur Melo summed it up.

This season we've already announced that we aren't signing a right back despite Trent looking better further forward, we might only sign one more midfielder despite needing at least three.

• Upvote 1

Liverpool have beaten Premier League rivals Manchester City to the signing of Wolfsburg defender Micky van de Ven, according to reports.

The Reds are looking to sign a new defender in the summer transfer window as they look to improve the depth of Jurgen Klopp’s squad.

Following a disappointing first two thirds of the season, Klopp decided to make some tweaks to his system which saw Liverpool win seven and draw two of their last nine Premier League matches.

Liverpool flourished with Trent Alexander-Arnold in a hybrid role and now Klopp is looking to bring in a new left-sided central defender to improve the system further still.

Sporting Lisbon’s Goncalo Inacio, Ajax’s Jurrien Timber, Chelsea’s Levi Colwill and Wolfsburg Van de Ven are among the centre-backs linked with a move to Liverpool.

And now Spanish publication Nacional claim that Liverpool ‘beat’ Man City ‘at auction’ for Van de Ven, who is described as a ‘phenomenon’ by the outlet.

The Netherlands under-21 international has been in brilliant form for Wolfsburg this season after moving to the Bundesliga club in 2021 from Dutch side Volendam.

Liverpool are prepared to pay ‘ten times’ the €3m that Wolfsburg paid to Volendam for Van de Ven with Klopp predicting that he can become the ‘new Van Dijk’.

The Liverpool boss is said to be ‘amazed by the potential’ of the centre-back and the Dutchman has said ‘yes’ to joining Klopp at Anfield.

Man City have also been ‘immersed in the auction’ for the 22-year-old but Liverpool and Klopp now have ‘the advantage’.

Leicester City playmaker James Maddison is wanted by a number of Premier League clubs, including Tottenham and Newcastle, but former Liverpool defender Glen Johnson reckons he “has the class to play for” the Reds or Chelsea.

Johnson told Betfred: “It’s hard to say that any player from a relegated club would be good enough to make the huge jump to playing for one of the top six clubs in the Premier League, but sometimes you can find a few gems. I believe that West Ham United would be over the moon to sign a player like James Ward-Prowse.

“James Maddison is probably the one player from the relegated clubs that has the class to play for a Chelsea or a Liverpool. I doubt they’d be able to do that deal on the cheap because he’s Leicester City’s prized asset and he’s far too good to be playing in the Championship next season.”

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

It's funny, nobody seems to dispute that the Glazers are terrible owners, and United spend about ten times as much as we do.

I think it's mainly because of Klopp. Similar to how the Glazers out mob were a lot quieter when they had Fergie in charge.

Once Klopp leaves we will drop like a stone and then we'll start to see more FSG out protests.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Megadrive Man said:

I think it's mainly because of Klopp. Similar to how the Glazers out mob were a lot quieter when they had Fergie in charge.

Once Klopp leaves we will drop like a stone and then we'll start to see more FSG out protests.

This is exactly what will happen. Dreading the day Jurgen walks

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I’m not sure. I’m normally the one posting ‘buy somebody you cunts’ but this summer feels different. I think they are going to spend on a few players. We’ll see shortly.

It's been a whole 2 days in to the transfer window, why aren't you panicking yet?!

as for that Van De Ven article, if it was anyone else than Nacional id be inclined to believe there is something to it. With that being said get the last signed up, his name is belting.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

Obviously the dividends aren’t great, but the reason the Mancs hate them is the lack of success. If the transition to Moyes or whoever had gone well, they wouldn’t give a shit.

If FSG used their business and organisational nouse, as they have, but coupled with some spending but taking out a dividend, I don’t think I’d mind that much.

FSG can quite justifiably point at the trophy count over last 5 years and say their model is superior to the mancs and arsenal for example.

The question about FSG for me centres around not doing enough to really kick us on from a position of unprecedented strength for the club in the PL era.....and the almost constant noise around/from the 3rd highest revenue generating football club in the world, and 2nd highest by fair means, of being "skint".

• Upvote 3