You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool enter talks with Saudi Arabian and Qatari consortiums over a potential £3BILLION takeover

Paulie Dangerously

Well, it's all gone tits up since this 'news' hit the shit fan, hasnt it?

Hard to think that just 6 months ago or maybe even less, the picture of the club was like that of a swan serenely swimming along a mill pond flat water way even if unseen, it was paddling ungainly as fuck to move along. Now, we seem a bit like a ship being blown off course in a typhoon with a broken rudder and engine that can only go in reverse and laboured at that.

Since this news broke on the back of some hack in the US, picked up by Ornstein(?) and given legs by countless media outlets, the twatterati and the perenial FSG Out crew, just about everything connected with the club has gone wrong.

We shouldnt be surprised really. You look at other clubs that have had ongoing ownership issue and they became or are right basket cases. They might be lower league clubs but you look at Blackpool, Oldham, Forest etc who all had ownership issues in the past that co incided with them becoming basket cases if only for a period of time until they were resolved.

Newcastle are a classic case. Yeah, their new owners have spent but on the pitch, they're punching well above their weight with quite ordinary players.

I dont think we're in that state but it kind of shows what can happen when everyone isnt pulling in the same direction.

Ive no idea if the proposed sale guff has influenced supposedly key people at the club to jump ship for fear of being pushed if the club was sold. It baffles me how Ward for example, said not 12 months ago he was in his dream job only to jib it 12 months later.

The medical department has been a complete mess although that can be said of it before the sale news broke. I think we've been unlucky with the number of players getting injured in games. It's part and parcel of the game. But we also seem to pick up an awful lot of injuries in training.

We also seem to get the best treatment wrong too often and seem reluctant to put players under the knife and get it done with. Instead we give it time then, 3 months down the line when the player still isnt right, get them down to The Spire and hey presto, the player is now out longer!

The transfer strategy has turned a bit pants as well. I hate it when we seem to buy a player to stop him going to united or spurs or chelsea. While we did well with Diaz, I always remember the King and Glen fucking Hysen.

Buy a player on the back of a few World Cup Final games? Phil fucking Babb!

The Melo loan, WTF? Nothing against the boy, it seems he did everything in an effort to get fit, too much in fact that he broke himself doing so. I hate the loan system and dont think PL clubs should be allowed to bring a player in on loan except a keeper in emergencies.

Me old ma used to say strike while the iron is hot so if we want a player, get in there and make it fucking happen. Leave it for a year and everyone else is sniffing around. They know we wont generally give new signings a wedge starting with two hundred thousand never mind three and know how easy it is to trump us.

The club must be very confident of signing Bellingham and holding as much cash back for that. Im not convinced we're signing Bellingham even if we do meet Dortmund's valuation. Real, city, united and outsiders chelsea and newcastle can afford the fee and give him a bigger wedge than we could offer.

But Ive also noticed the elephant in the room as our form has tanked. Loads are giving it the owners, the players even Lijnders book and his influence. I dont think there's any single reason we are where we are. I do think Jurgen needs to look objectively where we are, what the problems are and address them.

Are the problems centered on the players or, have some of his coaching and backroom staff gone a bit stale?

I dont believe Lijnders book spilled our secrets to any oppos coaching staff that they didnt already know, the same as I dont believe Jurgen's appearance on that Monday Night Show gave oppo managers etc info they didnt already know.

There are signs he is addressing some of these problems and maybe he should have been a bit more proactive rather than reactive?

We've got that fucking hill to climb again but, I think we're going to find it a lot harder this time with so many questions going unanswered.

• Upvote 1

Been trying to think about this logically today - do we really need a some Middle Eastern brigade to keep us competitive with the sides at the top of the league?

I was thinking that some other American company buys in at, for example 20%. 

At a valuation of £3bn, that’s £600m.

Continue to qualify for the CL (or re-qualify as it might be), a CL Reform (ie we can have our on sponsors for the games), more sponsors, new TV deals (streaming?) etc etc, whatever additional value could be added to the club and say in 5 years it’s worth £5bn and that £600m is now worth £1bn. 

Given FSG have grown revenues etc since 2010, they clearly can be viewed as having a track record in asset growth. 

Unfortunately, given the current climate at home Chelsea are spunking money everywhere, would a figure such as £600m be enough long term?

Again, hypothetical, if we were to sign Bellingham, Caicedo and Nunes in the summer, that’s likely c.£250m of that £600m gone. 

Throw in long term VVD replacement or a long term Salah replacement and it’s lasting very long at all. 

You’d hope we wouldn’t need that sort of outlay every summer, it still doesn’t feel the money would go that far. It might last us 5 years. 

And what do we then do after 5 years?

Do we look for another round of investment or completely sell? I’d assume the longer we wait, the few billionaires there would be to purchase us. 

Given the current football landscape with on transfers, earning qualifications, current TV & sponsorship packages etc, it feels we’d never be able to reach the c.£8bn valuation of Dallas Cowboys or something. 

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Been trying to think about this logically today - do we really need a some Middle Eastern brigade to keep us competitive with the sides at the top of the league?

Continue to qualify for the CL (or re-qualify as it might be), a CL Reform (ie we can have our on sponsors for the games), more sponsors, new TV deals (streaming?) etc etc, whatever additional value could be added to the club and say in 5 years it’s worth £5bn and that £600m is now worth £1bn. 

Given FSG have grown revenues etc since 2010, they clearly can be viewed as having a track record in asset growth. 

Unfortunately, given the current climate at home Chelsea are spunking money everywhere, would a figure such as £600m be enough long term?

Again, hypothetical, if we were to sign Bellingham, Caicedo and Nunes in the summer, that’s likely c.£250m of that £600m gone. 

Throw in long term VVD replacement or a long term Salah replacement and it’s lasting very long at all. 

You’d hope we wouldn’t need that sort of outlay every summer, it still doesn’t feel the money would go that far. It might last us 5 years. 

Do we look for another round of investment or completely sell? I’d assume the longer we wait, the few billionaires there would be to purchase us. 

Given the current football landscape with on transfers, earning qualifications, current TV & sponsorship packages etc, it feels we’d never be able to reach the c.£8pm valuation of Dallas Cowboys or something. 

None of what you say is wrong. 

But who, in their right mind, would invest a minority stake in us, just so fsg, who have the majority stake, and controlling interest, don't have to spend any of their own money. It's not going to happen. 

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Given the current football landscape with on transfers, earning qualifications, current TV & sponsorship packages etc, it feels we’d never be able to reach the c.£8pm valuation of Dallas Cowboys or something. 

To answer your question, the way I see it is, do you want to be the best 'cheater' just to make sure you win?

An anecdote: Ive been running for the best part of 35 years. Im not an athlete, I just do it to try and keep my weight down and hopefully stay healthier to live longer.

Ive kept a log and time of each run as I did it. As Ive got older, invariably Ive slowed down and doing my distances has got a lot harder. But, I could have cheated whenever I wanted and pressed the start \ stop button on my stopwatch later when starting and earlier when finishing to cut my times so they remain similar to what they were 10 years ago never mind 5.

But what's the point? I'll have cheated, known my running times were false and cheated myself. I may as well not bothered.

I dont get why others see wanting the club to cheat the same as others but have slagged them off for doing so makes it worthwhile devoting time, effort and money to watching the game.

12 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

But who, in their right mind, would invest a minority stake in us, just so fsg, who have the majority stake, and controlling interest, don't have to spend any of their own money. It's not going to happen. 

It's a myth all investors want a majority shareholding or nothing. FSG itself is made up of minority shareholders. They get the benefit of being in a bigger group able to invest in professional sports without full ownership.

David Moores was majority shareholder of the club. At one point he 'only' owned 51% of the club meaning others owned 49% but couldnt outvote him. They retained their investment until he sold to the 2 cowboys.

13 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

The growing £600m to £1bn example answers that. 

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

To answer your question, the way I see it is, do you want to be the best 'cheater' just to make sure you win?

An anecdote: Ive been running for the best part of 35 years. Im not an athlete, I just do it to try and keep my weight down and hopefully stay healthier to live longer.

Ive kept a log and time of each run as I did it. As Ive got older, invariably Ive slowed down and doing my distances has got a lot harder. But, I could have cheated whenever I wanted and pressed the start \ stop button on my stopwatch later when starting and earlier when finishing to cut my times so they remain similar to what they were 10 years ago never mind 5.

But what's the point? I'll have cheated, known my running times were false and cheated myself. I may as well not bothered.

I dont get why others see wanting the club to cheat the same as others but have slagged them off for doing so makes it worthwhile devoting time, effort and money to watching the game.

As a supporter, I have to admit, I wouldn’t be calming down on my celebrations of us winning the league because we had some bogus sponsors. 

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

As a supporter, I have to admit, I wouldn’t be calming down on my celebrations of us winning the league because we had some bogus sponsors. 

It would have a fucking massive asterisk against it, just like Ive been saying every one of city's trophies since 2008 has, just like all chelsea's trophies under Abramovich have.

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I certainly wouldn't judge anyone for celebrating such a victory but I think a lot of good Reds would have walked away by that point.

11 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It would have a fucking massive asterisk against it, just like Ive been saying every one of city's trophies since 2008 has, just like all chelsea's trophies under Abramovich have.

Do you think those City or Chelsea supporters give a shit what we might think? 

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

I certainly wouldn't judge anyone for celebrating such a victory but I think a lot of good Reds would have walked away by that point.

Define a lot.

A few hundred? A few thousand? 10’s of thousands with Anfield half empty?

IMO, those who walk away will be like a drop in the ocean.