You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Southampton 1 (Nov 12 2022)

tlw content

matchreportheader.png

There was a lot to like about this but there were also some things that make me glad we’ve got this break coming up. We’ve definitely got plenty to work on but at least we’re doing it on the back of successive wins and having crept up into the top six.

The first half was really good, the second half was shit. Like last week at Spurs. It was a different kind of shit this time. Last week we forgot how to pass the ball. This week we just seemed to lose energy and allowed Southampton to get on the ball and enjoy the kind of possession they had none of in the first half.

When we’re able to play at the intensity and tempo that this team is known for, we still look boss. When we don’t have that, teams create chances against us and we look vulnerable. It’s been like that all season and we saw both aspects of it in this game. 

What we need is for Klopp and the staff to figure out how to prevent what we saw in the second half from happening, and to have us sustain the kind of levels we saw in the first half for much longer periods.

Because the first half was boss. We played some great football and looked really dangerous. Three goals scored and the one we conceded was a set-piece. Other than that we didn’t give Southampton much of a sniff. Then in the second half Alisson needed to make three brilliant saves from really clear chances. As I say, it was our season in a microcosm.

We were without Konate and Henderson and that was noticeable after the break as a lot of Southampton’s best work came on that side of the pitch in the areas that Konate and Hendo would be helping to patrol. I’ll get to that in a bit though, I want to focus on the good stuff first.

View full article

• Upvote 1

I'd like to think that the midfield issues will be addressed in January and we make a proper go of it second half of the season.  Title is probably gone but if we finish second again behind City it's make up for a poor August to November. 

Don't want Arsenal winning. The fans are getting very cocky at present.  Need taking down a peg or two. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'd like to think that the midfield issues will be addressed in January and we make a proper go of it second half of the season.  Title is probably gone but if we finish second again behind City it's make up for a poor August to November. 

Don't want Arsenal winning. The fans are getting very cocky at present.  Need taking down a peg or two. 

What is it with Arsenal fans , all of a sudden on a run and now its like they are gonna clean up. I have never forgotten their shouts of “hoof” when they thought they were god’s gift to English football.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

What is it with Arsenal fans , all of a sudden on a run and now its like they are gonna clean up. I have never forgotten their shouts of “hoof” when they thought they were god’s gift to English football.

They're dopey cunts? Apparently Arteta is the greatest manager in the league and will lead them on to world domination. 

• Upvote 1

Spot on review.

The goal before half time was huge for us because I can only truly relax when we have a 2 goal lead at the moment to be honest.

Obviously it’s unreasonable to expect to not give up any chances against us. But what concerns me are the number of clear cut chances we allow. It was at least 4 against Southampton, and we were grateful to Ali for keeping us in the match with some unbelievable saves. The same went for the Spurs game, which of course is more understandable, but again there were at least 4 or 5 gilt edged chances. Hopefully the break allows us to work on whatever it is that is making it so easy to create clear chances against us. 

PS thought Harvey was exceptional. Such class and composure on the ball for someone so young. Struggles with the physical side but I’m hoping that will come.

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic
35 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Have seen a bit of criticism for Virgil and Joe  around their goal, but the dodgy stream I watched it on showed an angle across the box and they held the line , and the scorer was only kept onside by Darwin and one other retreating into the box at the back of the line.

It was just a perfectly hit free kick. 

Similar story to quite a few games this season - plenty to be pleased about, but enough to be concerned about too. They were the better team for the first 15, despite our early goal, and we could have been one down in the first couple of minutes when Adams got in between Trent and Joe Gomez ( a recurring theme) for a header. For the next half hour, we were really good and could easily have been 5-1 up.

Second half was a bit messy, and the concern, as others have said is how easy they (and Leeds, and others) created big chances.  It should be said, however, that one of Ali's brilliant one-on-ones came directly from the counter attack following the non-penalty award.... and then play went on for seemingly an age before going out whilst we were all waiting for VAR to do the necessary. Except it was that dopey cunt Marriner on VAR and he failed to see two, maybe three clear contacts from behind by the defender's knee and foot, and the little tug thrown in for good measure. And it came a couple of minutes after the most ridiculous free kick was given against Mo. I was calling that little shitbag Tierney all the names under the sun...... only to feel stupid a bit later when it turned out to be Simon Hooper (my eyes aren't quite what they were - not sure what Dave's excuse is!). But it's the ref who should feel stupid because once again, consistency proved to be an alien concept. Not just the two Mo situations, but early on he awarded a free-kick against Nunez, when the centre half threw an arm in his face, missed, then threw himself to the floor. You can have all the technology in the world but when the people using it are idiots......

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

I was calling that little shitbag Tierney all the names under the sun...... only to feel stupid a bit later when it turned out to be Simon Hooper (my eyes aren't quite what they were - not sure what Dave's excuse is!). 

Wait, what? It wasn't Tierney? My eyes are worse than yours.

• dave u unpinned this topic