You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Land Of Nod.

YorkshireRed

How Do You Sleep?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. My sleeping skills are abysmal. What about you?

• I sleep like a baby every night.
    • I have the odd bad night, but I’m mostly ok.
    • I sleep well post nooky (or masturbation for the married and/or Star Wars fans) but struggle otherwise.
    • I have no problem falling to sleep, but wake up in the early hours and struggle from there on in.
    • I sleep well, but only if I’ve medicated myself in some way (legal or otherwise).
    • Sleep is for wimps.
    • I have young children, or an old prostate, so it is what it is.
    • I normally struggle with sleep, but now I’ve opened this thread, I can feel a nap coming on.

I have Obstructive Sleep Apnoea which means I stop breathing whilst asleep so use CPAP which has really helped tbh.

I've been plagued with cramp for the last few weeks though which interrupts sleep, that and the fact I'm of a certain age and up for a piss 2 or 3 times a night.

Shite this getting old lark.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Jammy sod.

I get by on 5 - 6 hours but it's nearly always broken.

Apart from the reaction when I had the first Covid jab I don't think I've had 10- 12 hours since my teens.

Tbh I never feel particularly great for it, I don’t feel all refreshed and ready to go or anything, for some reason I just need tons of sleep

Getting to sleep is a piece of piss, nod off quickly. Staying asleep if I am disturbed is an utter bastard though, often occurs when sleeping in the day after a nightshift especially when you have a screamy toddler and a 4 year old. And a ravenous cat that is never full. And a wife that constantly needs to rifle through the wardrobe 15 times a day. And a mind that starts obsessing with trivial shit when I have just woken up.

Fucks sake.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yay! I got almost 5 hours straight last night,the best unbroken sleep in months. Must have been adrenaline come down from a certain sporting event yesterday.

Similar. I did a straight 5.5 hours. Almost unheard of.

It’s clear that the answer to a better nights sleep is Liverpool beating City in the unmentionable. 

I have a daughter with autism. Sleeping through the night is a distant memory. Four hours if I'm lucky and that's with intermittent waking patterns included in those four hours. Daughter will fall asleep around 9pm after a dose of melatonin a couple of hours earlier, I'll sleep from about 11 and be woken at any time between 2am-3am. Sometimes for an hour and then fall asleep, but usually up for the night then. We may even sometimes (about 20% of the time) go out for a drive around 4am if she's upset, up and down motorways to calm her. I've been known to park up in supermarket car parks for a quick 20 minute nap if she's settled in the back.

If we're up through the night and I'm working from home that day I'll fire up the laptop, do what I need to do and use the day to keep an eye on emails and have an hours kip on my dinner hour, but I've been office based solid for the last couple of months, so I'll watch a film or box set on my phone with earphones in while she runs round the house burning off energy.

The wife does 12 hour shifts in a hospital, I manage a team in construction/maintenance, so our jobs are pretty full on. Our families don't help out one bit. I'm really fucking tired.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Furmedge said:

I have a daughter with autism. Sleeping through the night is a distant memory. Four hours if I'm lucky and that's with intermittent waking patterns included in those four hours. Daughter will fall asleep around 9pm after a dose of melatonin a couple of hours earlier, I'll sleep from about 11 and be woken at any time between 2am-3am. Sometimes for an hour and then fall asleep, but usually up for the night then. We may even sometimes (about 20% of the time) go out for a drive around 4am if she's upset, up and down motorways to calm her. I've been known to park up in supermarket car parks for a quick 20 minute nap if she's settled in the back.

If we're up through the night and I'm working from home that day I'll fire up the laptop, do what I need to do and use the day to keep an eye on emails and have an hours kip on my dinner hour, but I've been office based solid for the last couple of months, so I'll watch a film or box set on my phone with earphones in while she runs round the house burning off energy.

The wife does 12 hour shifts in a hospital, I manage a team in construction/maintenance, so our jobs are pretty full on. Our families don't help out one bit. I'm really fucking tired.

My youngest Grandchild has Downs Syndrome as well as being autistic and I've seen what he's like for sleeping and what it's like for his mum and my lad.

My lad's a HGV driver with his shifts starting at various times, with 4:00 AM starts common so his poor mum bears the brunt. 

She's like a zombie sometimes so my missus insists he come here for a couple of hours a day so she can grab a bit of kip.

Autistic kids can be a nightmare. I don't envy you one bit.