You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Napoli (A) - CL, Wed 7th Sep 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

None of us really know the dressing room dynamics- they probably all knew Mane was vital and felt he should have a got a better deal- he goes- Salah gets top dog salary despite form falling off a cliff from Jan onwards and going missing in biggest game of season against Madrid (in all 3 finals actually)

We sign a player to replace Mane- some of the quotes from his initial training in pre-season were worrying- a work in progress, very raw- he will learn. That's great if you aren't going to instantly rely on him.

Due to injuries we go from a midfield engine that did astronomical miles per game coupled with an entrenched knowledge of how the system works, to kids from Fulhams academy- brilliant players in their own right but to be basing the midfield around them is a huge change- albeit a forced one.  

The senior players look out of sorts as they cant execute the system had become so accustomed to due to the change in personnel.

In terms of system/high line/press etc- I have a feeling this morning may be the moment that the senior players and Klopp have it out as I think the players know it cant work as it stands whereas Klopp seems to think we just need to persevere    

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, fair point. It would potentially provide Salah, Diaz and Nunez with a bit of space to run into too. 

I thought that was what we were doing already? Oh,you mean the defence. The more open we play the worse we look with the likes of Zebedee,I mean Elliott(joking of course) not able to do much in his current position due to lack of pace. Then when our attack breaks down and the fullbacks are 50 yards upfield the opposition just stroll through the midfield and defence,even Palace did this. The system is fine..with the right players and our current starters are not the right players. Matip and Thiago made us look ten times better last night but we know they wont be available again after two or three games due to injury. Klopp has been left high and dry here and thoroughly deserves better from owners who he has made millions,even tens of millions from a club that was locked in mediocrity.

I am don't understand the "Nunez is very raw" - he played in Portugal for 2 years after playing for smaller teams. Pretty similar to Haaland who also played for smaller clubs before playing in Germany for 2 years.

I don't think he is shit. He needs to be integrated, he needs to learn the language, other players need to get used to playing with a central striker. Whole team needs to improve before we can properly judge him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I am don't understand the "Nunez is very raw" - he played in Portugal for 2 years after playing for smaller teams. Pretty similar to Haaland who also played for smaller clubs before playing in Germany for 2 years.

I don't think he is shit. He needs to be integrated, he needs to learn the language, other players need to get used to playing with a central striker. Whole team needs to improve before we can properly judge him. 

We probably need to start him in most games, too. It's not like he's a £7m punt who we're hoping might turn out okay. 

On a completely separate thing, it was perhaps the night's only high point (along with the efforts of Alisson and Diaz) to see Thiago back on the pitch for us. We're a different team with him, and I'd make a similar argument about Matip. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We probably need to start him in most games, too. It's not like he's a £7m punt who we're hoping might turn out okay. 

On a completely separate thing, it was perhaps the night's only high point (along with the efforts of Alisson and Diaz) to see Thiago back on the pitch for us. We're a different team with him, and I'd make a similar argument about Matip. 

Agree on both. Matip is a great defender and elevates VVD's game to the next level. He quietly gets on with the job and gets annoyed with himself every time he makes a mistake. Unlike Trent and Gomez who shrugs off the mistakes they make. 

Also agree Nunez has to start most games. He needs to know that too which will make him more confident and at ease. 

21 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Judging by your first sentence you may be familiar with Nunez language barrier.