You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Course you can. Klopp is only going for someone now because Thiago & Jones are long term injuries. And probably Keita as well. Plus Ox of course, even though he probably wasn’t going to play much.

Fab and Hendo also seem to be carrying knocks.

We’re after a “shit, everyone’s injured” player. It’ll definitely be a fill in type. 

Klopp said yesterday that Thiago and jones are close to being back. As are several others. 

Stupid wages for the likes of De Jong and Rabiot notwithstanding, I think in this new era of 5 subs, we can afford to carry another midfielder or 2 in our squad, as they will get plenty of game time. It allows us to also not look thoroughly depleted when any 2 are out injured at any one time, or when 1 or 2 are carrying knocks.

I don't think a game-changer for their position like Ali or Virg is particularly necessary at the moment (though I would welcome it all the same), but someone capable of contibuting as a rotation option and making an impact (like Diogo up front for example) should not be ignored.

Depth and rest are critical this season in particular for any team with ambitions being in with a real shout at the business end of the season.

• Upvote 1

'I know that' - Journalist now claims midfielder would be 'open to a Liverpool move' (msn.com)

Journalist Ben Jacobs has claimed on The Done Deal Show that Youri Tielemans would be very keen on a move to Liverpool this summer.

While it appeared that Liverpool were well and truly done when it came to arrivals this transfer window after splashing out on Calvin Ramsay, Fabio Carvalho and Darwin Nunez, their poor start to the season may have caused a rethink.

This is because against Manchester United, Jurgen Klopp selected a midfield trio of James Milner, Jordan Henderson and Harvey Elliott, which doesn’t exactly scream title challengers.

Talk has been rife of them potentially signing a new midfielder, and Jacobs believes that Tielemans, who is available this summer, would love to join Liverpool.

He said: “There’s a variety of midfielders that, of course, could be considered by Liverpool that are either cheaper or perhaps more stopgap options. One is Youri Tielemans, of course, who would be open to a Liverpool move.

“I know that because his agent had pushed Liverpool links earlier in windows, particularly in January when the Arsenal interest was just beginning and was more formative.”

TIF Thoughts on Tielemans to Liverpool…

Although there are very few links suggesting that Liverpool are interested in a move for Tielemans, it would make a lot of sense on paper, as the player wishes to play Champions League football and is said to only have a price tag of around £25m on his head.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Those comments are before whatever the fuck has happened with keita, he made them on the same day as he said keita was ready for the game on Monday. They didn't come out till Sunday because of the embargo, but they were 2 days old when they first hit the press. I personally think the keita situation (whether that's injury or he's leaving) has changed the situation. I don't think anything has changed about who is available. I think what has changed is how much we're willing to spend..exactly how much rains to be seen, it could have gone from zero to Davies/kabak, but hopefully it stretches further than that, especially if keita is leaving. 

I thought he said the bit about things changing was yesterday hence my moderate excitement. 

In general though I agree with you. Hopefully they have just decided the risk of not spending the additional us greater than the risk of spending.

Be interested to see how injured Naby is. Like someone said yesterday they would know what the issue is by now.

20 minutes ago, No2 said:

Is Paquetta not a Coutinho/Ronaldinho type?

He's played centre mid for Lyon, he could do the job Harvey Elliott is doing for us. Wouldn't be an ideal signing from a squad development perspective though.

Laimer would be a better fit stylistically - he presses a LOT - but he'd be coming from the Bundesliga. As we've seen with Keita, signing a player from there based on the amount of work they get through doesn't always go so well.

If we could convince de Jong to accept a reasonable salary of like £150k a week then I think he'd be our first choice, that's a ginormous if though.

I must say transfer fees being paid by PL clubs this year are lunacy. Chelsea paying nearly £60m for Cucurella and offering £60m for Gordon, the Mancs offering £73m for that Antony and paying over £50m for a midget centre back, the Saudis paying over £60m for that Isak, Forest agreeing a deal that could go over £40m for Gibbs-White. The rest of Europe must stand back in amazement at the fees they can get when a PL club comes calling. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I don't know who's crazier with that Anthony Gordon deal, Chelsea for offering that much or Everton for turning it down. I'm not even sure he's better than Hudson-Odoi.

I’d definitely take Eze and Olisie from Palace before I’d entertain that diving twat Gordon. I reckon both of those could be bought for less than the £60m Gordon is allegedly going for. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I don't know who's crazier with that Anthony Gordon deal, Chelsea for offering that much or Everton for turning it down. I'm not even sure he's better than Hudson-Odoi.

Hudson-Odoi is way better. Gordon is total shite, he only runs fast and falls over. If Chelsea pay 60 million for that, they are insane.

Boehly was given a free, FFP exempt £200m+ transfer splurge for preventing the club falling into admin and as part of the sale of the club under Abramovich.

It's all wrapped up in the extra billion quid in the sale (yeah, chelsea were 'valued' at market plus £1bn!) and supposedly includes an amount to upgrade their shithole of a ground. So far, he's spent a couple of grand of that money having a few murals of chelsea players put up, mainly inside the ground.

The PL gave it their blessing. One can only wonder why the other clubs in the PL went along with the FFP exempt transfer budget but I guess at least two other clubs, city and Newcastle were ok with it.

• Upvote 1