You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't hate Cantwell as a midfield option. It would just be nice to know why he hasn't played much this season, but I see him as a player that Klopp would like. 

Wasn't that to do with the contract impasse so they didn't put him in. 

They all copied the Cantwell story from my post a month or so ago when I said I wouldn't be shocked if we signed him on a free. 

At worst you sell him on for a decent profit. Villa we're offering something like 30ml last year for him. 

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

They all copied the Cantwell story from my post a month or so ago when I said I wouldn't be shocked if we signed him on a free. 

At worst you sell him on for a decent profit. Villa we're offering something like 30ml last year for him. 

I believe that was the arguement for signing Shaq, minamino & Davies. These players can be harder to sell on at a profit than you think and in the mean time they're yet another player who barely contributes chewing up a salary. We've enough players who barely contribute. What we need is to sign players we can get on the pitch and help us win football matches. Cantwell won't be doing that, he can't get a start for a team who are one of the worst ever to play in the league. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I believe that was the arguement for signing Shaq, minamino & Davies. These players can be harder to sell on at a profit than you think  

Villa offered over 30ml for him 6 months ago. We wouldn't be paying a fee unlike the other players, he got good reviews in the premier league a couple of years ago, same last season. They'd easy sell him for 15ml plus in a season. 

Not saying I want him as I don't think he is great. But last summer showed how stretched we have been on the home grown quota and forced to register players who could ha e been left out due to age. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The point with Cantwell was he at one point looked like he could go on a Grealish type trajectory. That doesn't seem likely anymore unless he just needs a change of scenery, but he looks to have regressed.

To who... Stevie Wonder?

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Villa offered over 30ml for him 6 months ago. We wouldn't be paying a fee unlike the other players, he got good reviews in the premier league a couple of years ago, same last season. They'd easy sell him for 15ml plus in a season. 

Not saying I want him as I don't think he is great. But last summer showed how stretched we have been on the home grown quota and forced to register players who could ha e been left out due to age. 

Villa have a different manager now. In fact the one that wanted to sign him at villa currently doesn't play him. He would cost us a fee now and if we waited for a bosman, it would be 2 seasons from that time when villa will have offered that money and in the mean time he'd have had 12 months on the bench at Norwich and 12 months struggling to make the bench at Liverpool because imo he's nowhere near the level of Chamberlain. This last summer, even after a half decent loan spell at Southampton, we couldn't even get our money back on minamino. Yet the 1 line everyone preached when we got him is how it was a no brainer because we could make money on him. He's actually just an excuse for the club not to buy someone as "there's no room in the squad"

And honestly, what difference does it make if there's a chance of flipping him and making a 10m or 15m profit? We'll need to give him a good signing on fee and good wages, plus a load of agent fees, because he's not coming on a bosman without his agent getting weighed in. There won't be much left of any fee after that. 

We should start every single decision on signing a senior player with 1 question. There's more to follow, but you should always start with "will he improve us?". If the answer is no, then we shouldn't get involved. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly don't see the point in these signings where we "flip" them for a profit. 

Seems a lot of effort to sign average players to sell them on in a couple of years. It's not like we're getting a Ferran Torres deal. Just the odd couple of million here and there, meanwhile they just eat up wages sitting g on the bench or playing against Preston in the Carabao Cup.

Could really do with picking a striker up on loan or bringing forward a signing. 

Vlahovic has 18 months left on his deal, coincides with Bobby contract running out.  Could be something we do now, he'd be straight into the team as well, no 'bedding-in' periods waiting for a chance to play. 

Moussa Dembele at Lyon, another one at a good age with scoring pedigree and 18 months left.  

Might also be a catalyst for that Fabio Carvalho from Fulham.  Not a proper striker but a wide forward.  Which we also need. 

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Why on earth did they not sell him? £30 million for a player with a year left on his contract is a crazy fee for a club of that size.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The point with Cantwell was he at one point looked like he could go on a Grealish type trajectory. That doesn't seem likely anymore unless he just needs a change of scenery, but he looks to have regressed.

In terms of being a shit haired try hard I couldn't agree more

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Could really do with picking a striker up on loan or bringing forward a signing. 

Vlahovic has 18 months left on his deal, coincides with Bobby contract running out.  Could be something we do now, he'd be straight into the team as well, no 'bedding-in' periods waiting for a chance to play. 

Moussa Dembele at Lyon, another one at a good age with scoring pedigree and 18 months left.  

Might also be a catalyst for that Fabio Carvalho from Fulham.  Not a proper striker but a wide forward.  Which we also need. 

Absolutely ZERO chance we will be in for Vlahovic.

He's a decent player on a hot streak of finishing. The last time Liverpool bought such a player was ... Carroll? Hasn't happened since Edwards came in, for sure. We're more likely to exploit market inefficiencies by buying players who are fundamentally sound (finding themselves on the end of chances), but on a cold streak, like Mane.