You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

23 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I think we need to get our priorities straight here. What if this chip problem affects the PS5?

And I wasn't making it out to be some world breaking thing, more that it's another example of how these sanctions are creating even more chaos when things are already in a bad mess.

18 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

There’s still a massive shortage. Chips previously costing $2 are going for $100.  The car industry is hoovering them up because they have the margin but goods like, say, electricity meters that cost £50 each just can’t take the hit. 

I’ve not read the article but Ukraine also provides a lot of the raw material used in their manufacture.  

I'm actually leaning more and more towards lifting the sanctions, except the ones for weapons industry, in exchange of opening up the ports and corridors and allowing Ukraine to sell the grain and buying whatever they need on the weapons market for the money on top of giving them what they want paid by the land lease. 

36 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Why on earth would we lift the sanctions? So that we can have cheaper computer chips?

Some of you truly are the kind of people who would unplug a stranger's ventilator so you could charge your phone.

I'd swap sanctions for weapons, it works much faster.

44 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Why on earth would we lift the sanctions? So that we can have cheaper computer chips?

Some of you truly are the kind of people who would unplug a stranger's ventilator so you could charge your phone.

There is a world that exists outside of Ukraine incase you forgot, and sanctions affect a lot more than Putin's war machine (a war machine that hasn't stopped after months of sanctions.)

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/06/1120502

20 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Surely you are familiar with the late Herman's take on Libya?

Nope, I don't remember ever hearing of him before searching for that clip. I found the Libya thing too though and I guess he'd have had some issues with foreign policy if he'd been president by the looks of it. Must have been mad watching his campaign.

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

Nope, I don't remember ever hearing of him before searching for that clip. I found the Libya thing too though and I guess he'd have had some issues with foreign policy by the looks of it.

I seem to recall he was actually in the lead at an early stage when Romney got the nomination, but it turned out he was more interested in labia then Libya.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

There is a world that exists outside of Ukraine incase you forgot, and sanctions affect a lot more than Putin's war machine (a war machine that hasn't stopped after months of sanctions.)

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/06/1120502

Yes, I have friends that are from those countries, and many of their relatives depend on those remittances.

But I also know that those countries are under oppressive regimes largely because of their dependence on Russia, and this war, and especially the sanctions are gradually undermining that system. Look at Kazakhstan - a few months ago, they were inviting the Russian army in to keep the peace after protests. Now this week their president, wary of the way his country is exposed to the same kind of military adventurism that is going on in Ukraine, stood up on the same stage as Putin and said that Kazakhstan wouldn't recognise the so-called DNR/LNR republics.

Sanctions are a long-term policy. Russia will continue on for months, possibly even a year or two before they really start to bite, but they are already having a material effect on Putin's ability to supply his war machine.

On 17/06/2022 at 18:47, Numero Veinticinco said:

That’s because no country is stupid enough to attack the US directly. If NATO or the US gets attacked, you’ll see the full might of American military power. I think people look at Iraq and Afghanistan and think ‘it took them ages there’, nope, it took them hours to beat them conventionally. With a fraction of what they have and the desire not to kill innocents. If a world war kicks off, baby you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. The world would rock. 

Will the rocking be shown live on tictok?

I like articles from the logistics insiders because they usually dispel various myths or shine a light on what most people usually don't think about, like how are Russians delivering all those shells if they are really firing 50k a day.

However, they tend to overlook political considerations, for example, they are saying now that the US won't be delivering announced four Grey Eagle drones which are supposed to be vey deadly, because second review concluded it has security sensitive equipment the first review overlooked. Lets say I am sceptical about this because the news comes after articles were leaked the US may not be too pleased at how Ukrainians are using the Switchblade drones and some other stuff about training etc. HIMARS are heavy, but so are Polish tanks, and they have apparently delivered over 200 of them. They were delivering 18 US howitzers every few weeks, now the next batch of 18 would take until August. If you look at other countries, it is clear obstacles are mostly political, not logistics. Numero says, Nato can deliver troops into Russia quicker than Russia can deliver troops into Russia. Surely four heavy rocket launchers and 48 rockets are not all that challenging then. Especially since they were already in Europe before  June 1st. Plus 3 from UK. And additional 3 from Germany which have already been delayed and will probably never be delivered anyway.

So, the assistance has been massive, but it is also quite obvious it gets switched on and off or reduced for other reasons.  And it is understandable that Ukrainians can get on your tits with demanding and asking for stuff nobody is under any real obligation to give them. But they are the ones dying.  

6 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Yes, I have friends that are from those countries, and many of their relatives depend on those remittances.

But I also know that those countries are under oppressive regimes largely because of their dependence on Russia, and this war, and especially the sanctions are gradually undermining that system. Look at Kazakhstan - a few months ago, they were inviting the Russian army in to keep the peace after protests. Now this week their president, wary of the way his country is exposed to the same kind of military adventurism that is going on in Ukraine, stood up on the same stage as Putin and said that Kazakhstan wouldn't recognise the so-called DNR/LNR republics.

Sanctions are a long-term policy. Russia will continue on for months, possibly even a year or two before they really start to bite, but they are already having a material effect on Putin's ability to supply his war machine.

Ok, I think the overall cost could be huge that's all and that this could end up being really out of touch with what a lot of people think over time. I maybe wouldn't have even responded either but when I saw the bit about unplugging a strangers ventilator it seemed off. I wasn't actually suggesting we pull all support because of some gases for cheaper computer chips, was only posting it here to note it really.

I wrote more here at first but deleted it, maybe because it's Sunday and I'm trying to have a break from it for a bit.

35 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Ok, I think the overall cost could be huge that's all and that this could end up being really out of touch with what a lot of people think over time. I maybe wouldn't have even responded either but when I saw the bit about unplugging a strangers ventilator it seemed off. I wasn't actually suggesting we pull all support because of some gases for cheaper computer chips, was only posting it here to note it really.

I wrote more here at first but deleted it, maybe because it's Sunday and I'm trying to have a break from it for a bit.

That's what the Russians want you to do. Take Sunday off and when you come back, Velka Shitholynka is fully in their hands.

40 minutes ago, SasaS said:

That's what the Russians want you to do. Take Sunday off and when you come back, Velka Shitholynka is fully in their hands.

We've sent Gavin Williamson out to watch over Shitholynka on the weekends armed with an air rifle, so you don't need to worry about that falling any time soon.

8 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Look at Kazakhstan - a few months ago, they were inviting the Russian army in to keep the peace after protests. Now this week their president, wary of the way his country is exposed to the same kind of military adventurism that is going on in Ukraine, stood up on the same stage as Putin and said that Kazakhstan wouldn't recognise the so-called DNR/LNR republics.

The referendum in Kazakhstan ended with the approval (victory with 75%) of the reforms that remove all the privileges of the president, allow easier registration of new parties, allow free elections for mayors and eliminate the death penalty.

renderTimingPixel.png

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

The referendum in Kazakhstan ended with the approval (victory with 75%) of the reforms that remove all the privileges of the president, allow easier registration of new parties, allow free elections for mayors and eliminate the death penalty.

renderTimingPixel.png

Pardon me? 

Mediazona recently updated their count for BBC Russia of confirmed RF military deaths in Ukraine, based on media and social media. It stood at 3798  on June 17, which is about a 1,000 more since we discussed it about a month ago.

Biggest change is in the number of people listed as volunteers, I don't know if that is a category where they put Wagner soldiers.

I still believe actual number of KIA is about 3 times what they managed to count, plus DNR and LNR KIA and not in the tens of thousands as many (or most) believe. 

https://zona.media/translate/2022/05/20/casualties_eng

3 hours ago, SasaS said:

Numero says, Nato can deliver troops into Russia quicker than Russia can deliver troops into Russia. Surely four heavy rocket launchers and 48 rockets are not all that challenging then.

Mate, don’t get confused between what they *can* do and what they’re willing to do. Also, sending in a MEU that I was talking about, which is already purposefully set up and ready to go, is different. That said, it should be that difficult. If they’re saying it’s going to take fucking ages then there’s likely another reason for it. Likely political or security concerns. 

11 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Mate, don’t get confused between what they *can* do and what they’re willing to do. Also, sending in a MEU that I was talking about, which is already purposefully set up and ready to go, is different. That said, it should be that difficult. If they’re saying it’s going to take fucking ages then there’s likely another reason for it. Likely political or security concerns. 

I know, and I said so.