You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

If Klopp thinks a re-build and multiple selling and buying is required, admitting it adds 25% onto everyone we want to buy and 25% off everyone we want to sell. I wouldnt be surprised if there were multiple comings and goings this summer.

8 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

It would in fact. We’d need two new players at least to cover for the quality and availability that he provides.

He is our most reliable midfielder....but if we let him go we'll probably not replace him and argue Thiago was bought a year ago as that.

Jake Cain will be in side come Christmas because we have no other options - being asked to not play his usual attacking midfield but to hold.

16 minutes ago, an tha said:

He is our most reliable midfielder....but if we let him go we'll probably not replace him and argue Thiago was bought a year ago as that.

Jake Cain will be in side come Christmas because we have no other options - being asked to not play his usual attacking midfield but to hold.

I think Wijnaldum will stay.

To me it looks like with the realities of COVID taking shape on the finances of football clubs the club have taken the stance that they can either get Gini to stay on their mingebag wage offer or get a younger replacement on an even more mingebag wage offer. Getting him to stay at this point would be a massive boost, it’ll mean we can pump whatever funds we do have in to other areas. I’d see Ox, Keita and Shaqiri out the door before Gini.

I'd love to see Gini stay but the club should stick to its guns over his wages. This squad is rapidly aging and needs freshened up with younger players. Last thing we need is players on big deals going into their mid 30s. Also depends on what Klopps plans are. Does he think the issue is more being unable to play his first team in the right positions, or will he look at maybe a slight tweaking of the formation to a more 4-2-3-1 so he will need a proper 10 or maybe a 9 and Bobby back in as a 10. If so as much as i love Gini do we need him if he is asking for big money

If we reverted to a 2 man midfield you have Fabinho,Thiago,Nabby,Hendo,Ox and Jones

Gini deserves a wage bump no doubt, he has been a great servant either way 

15 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Bobby as a number ten would be horrendous. You need to be able to keep hold of the ball in that position.

Bobby's pretty much always been a number 10 if we're honest. Whether his nominal position on teamsheets is as a striker or number 10 doesn't really matter, he's almost always been deeper in his positioning than Salah and Mané. It would be largely the same thing.

38 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Chamberlain in a midfield two. Not for me Clive.

He not really able to play out wide and if he goes it's yet another home grown player needed for the squad. 

Bobby would do a very similar job as a 10 as he does now, except there would also be a focal point. 

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What's he said? I read an article yesterday where the headline said that, but when I read the quotes he didn't say anything of the sort so I didn't bother to post it on here. 

I sort of read headline too and when read detail it isn't quite so clear cut - but having said that reading it, it does not come over as someone who wants to go/is determined to go.

Here - see what you think...

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/428363-gini-wijnaldum-future-liverpool-belief-champions-league-aims

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

I sort of read headline too and when read detail it isn't quite so clear cut - but having said that reading it, it does not come over as someone who wants to go/is determined to go.

Here - see what you think...

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/428363-gini-wijnaldum-future-liverpool-belief-champions-league-aims

I don't really know what to make of that. It pretty much sounds like the club haven't offered him what he thinks he's worth. But again he could just be saying all that stuff as he doesn't want to create more problems at a bad time. It certainly feels though he's saying it's an issue with terms and not that he's desperate to live or play in another country or team. From everything he says there, he's happy but contract negotiations are hard. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Or that Barcelona are a bigger circus than we are at the minute. 

You have to assume Barca have something up their sleeve with regard to a new manager.

There was talk of Xavi, but... I'd be surprised if Barca were willing to do that. Sure, Guardiola, I know, but it's just not likely to repeat itself. 

30 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't really know what to make of that. It pretty much sounds like the club haven't offered him what he thinks he's worth. But again he could just be saying all that stuff as he doesn't want to create more problems at a bad time. It certainly feels though he's saying it's an issue with terms and not that he's desperate to live or play in another country or team. From everything he says there, he's happy but contract negotiations are hard. 

Sounds about right.

He should be worth more than he has been getting being easily our most reliable midfielder.

If i was him i'd be spewing at being on less than Milner and the crocks Keita and Ox (assuming he is)

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Sounds about right.

He should be worth more than he has been getting being easily our most reliable midfielder.

If i was him i'd be spewing at being on less than Milner and the crocks Keita and Ox (assuming he is)

Yeah. I find it really hard to understand how there isn't a compromise to be made unless we're making covid offers, but I'd have thought the 1st deal we'd have put in front of him pre-dated this shit at a time we were winning everything and spending nothing.