You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

https://theathletic.com/4922732/2023/10/03/referees-var-diaz-liverpool/

If anyone needs reminding. The minister that has overseen the pro league governance is also mansour's brother.

Re the last line, it's only really now that the decisions can be scrutinised. I'd say it might have had an effect. I also think the Doku incident was the real turning point of our season. 

Screenshot_20240422-150443.png

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

This thread, there is a comment a few posts above your question about refs been having Mid East jollies for years.

It seems I was mistaken. I thought 'jollies' were part of the job. I remember some Thailand,or similar and thought that was the same type of thing.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pidge said:

https://theathletic.com/4922732/2023/10/03/referees-var-diaz-liverpool/

If anyone needs reminding. The minister that has overseen the pro league governance is also mansour's brother.

Re the last line, it's only really now that the decisions can be scrutinised. I'd say it might have had an effect. I also think the Doku incident was the real turning point of our season. 

Screenshot_20240422-150443.png

So has Michael oliver been back over to UAE to ref games recently? 

I thought the was only a one off. 

I've also just got around to watching the highlights of the forest vs Everton game, mainly to see the 3 penalty incidents forest have had a breakdown about. 

The first one, and the 3rd one, are as stone wall a penalty you'll ever see. The handball is debatable, but for me they'd not a penalty. 

But fucking hell, the other two are as clear as day aren't they. 

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

So has Michael oliver been back over to UAE to ref games recently? 

I thought the was only a one off. 

I've also just got around to watching the highlights of the forest vs Everton game, mainly to see the 3 penalty incidents forest have had a breakdown about. 

The first one, and the 3rd one, are as stone wall a penalty you'll ever see. The handball is debatable, but for me they'd not a penalty. 

But fucking hell, the other two are as clear as day aren't they. 

No, that's the original one. Only really takes one...

9 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I think you need another shit.

That's a statement that will always be true, not sure of its relevance here though. With your constant GOT references I can only assume you think these calls are insane. I was on the same page until very recently. Incidentally the decision that sent me over the edge was the one Dave references in Pod and its from months back, a goal not disallowed for City against Fulham, very similar to Wolves last week, Mo away to Burnely and countless others, main difference being this one was allowed stand. That's just not a goal anymore, the one time out of 100 it slips through and it's Man City and Michael Oliver again.

Michael Oliver and his crew, since his trip to referee Sharjah and Al-Ain has been appointed and directly influenced the outcome the 3 biggest away games Man City have. 

1) As VAR, directs ref to to the screen for a penalty for a grab by a Man Utd player on Rodri. Technically a foul but we're in 10 penalties a game terrority here. 

Happy to be corrected on this if you can point out other times dragging as been pulled up by VAR, particularly interested in occasions when Oliver was reffing the game and had his extra eyes point out an error.

2) Doesn't send off Kovacic away to Arsenal. Both tackles could be perceived as red, as yellows they are indisputable so a red card.

3) Doku kicks Mac Allister in the chest, no penalty given.

4) His mate Darren England say fuck off play on at Spurs.

It's not a good look when you come back from Sharjah versus Al-Ain and started giving City decisions like that. I've repeated the names of those teams so people can familiarise themselves with them. They're not famous clubs, they don't appear to be attempting to grow the league so the idea that the top ref is needed over there is a tad suspicious in my view.

• Upvote 6

The year Liecester won the league, Kevin Friend was moved from reffing a Stoke v Tottenham game because he was based in Liecester, though I've been told that he actually supported Bristol City. So PGMOL could do it then. The simple solution yesterdy was to move Attwell to VAR our game at Fulham, two teams completely irrelevant to the relegtion issue. That way they don't cause a potential shitshow for themselves.

1 hour ago, Frank Dacey said:

The year Liecester won the league, Kevin Friend was moved from reffing a Stoke v Tottenham game because he was based in Liecester, though I've been told that he actually supported Bristol City. So PGMOL could do it then. The simple solution yesterdy was to move Attwell to VAR our game at Fulham, two teams completely irrelevant to the relegtion issue. That way they don't cause a potential shitshow for themselves.

Yeah but Howard Webb won't be told what to do. The SYP runs deep in him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying, but you think forest are wrong here? 

Honestly the only stupid thing they did with this whole affair was to make a thing of Atwell being a Luton supporter, it's given all the shit media and their pundits something to focus on and allowed all the shit banter merchants to be the loudest making shit jokes about what do they expect to hear in the audio.

It's totally taken the focus off the fact they were utterly done over by three obviously bullshit decisions and that asking for the audio is really about hearing the decision making process that led to them(something every second fan has been screaming should be something they do even without controversy) and at least maybe putting some pressure on PGMOL to acknowledge they did wrong, instead it's going to inevitably be another one that PGMOL sit tight lipped on now everyone is focused on the wrong part until enough time has passed they can have Howard Webb roll out another 'apology' letter to little affair.

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

If its proven he is a luton fan it's a massive issue. 

He's never reffed a Luton game, I think it's fairly safe to say he's listed as a Luton fan.

That Coventry offside was absolutely scandalous. VAR have drew the line OVER the United players boot. Not infrastructure of it but fucking over it to make sure the Coventry player was offside. 

I fucking hate the sport now. Been absolutely ruined.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Scott_M said:

This is what they should have said on Sunday. 

Yeah the statement I saw this morning is exactly what they should have done after the game, not that childish, awfully worded tweet. Did themselves no favours in how they delivered the message, which undermined the actual message and made them look like the knobheads, instead of PGMOL.

17 hours ago, No2 said:

He's never reffed a Luton game, I think it's fairly safe to say he's listed as a Luton fan.

I never referee Newcastle games. We have to declare if we have an allegiance to any club or if a family member works at a club. You can’t do any match involving that team and I can’t do Sunderland, either, for obvious reasons.

Because Newcastle are invariably involved in a relegation battle, when you get to March or April, it means I can’t referee anyone around them towards the bottom three. If Newcastle needed a point to survive and the team they were fighting to get above was say Villa, I couldn’t referee Villa’s game either. I wouldn’t want to. It’s not worth the hassle.

13 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I never referee Newcastle games. We have to declare if we have an allegiance to any club or if a family member works at a club. You can’t do any match involving that team and I can’t do Sunderland, either, for obvious reasons.

Because Newcastle are invariably involved in a relegation battle, when you get to March or April, it means I can’t referee anyone around them towards the bottom three. If Newcastle needed a point to survive and the team they were fighting to get above was say Villa, I couldn’t referee Villa’s game either. I wouldn’t want to. It’s not worth the hassle.

is that Jeff WInter?