You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

If it weren't for the refs, we would likely be 5 ahead of Arsenal and 8 ahead of Man City at this point of the season. So although some of our displays lately have pissed me off, we aren't second place because of them. It's because these cunts have effectively decided the season for us. How anyone can say that's not corrupt is beyond me.

• Upvote 5

I’d like to see the figures on how many times the refs have been sent to look at the monitor this season. I bet those figures are well down on previous seasons? When was the last time it happened in one of our games? Was it Spurs away when we got shafted with the Curtis Jones red card when they showed a still of his studs hitting the other player’s leg?

The lack of being sent to the monitor tells me that they’ve agreed between them not to do it unless absolutely necessary. Every week I watch Match Of The Day and am amazed at the penalties that aren’t given, and no referral to the monitor. 

6 hours ago, Lario said:

TBF Goldbridge nails it again.  Calling out Oliver who is the worst of a bad bunch and also the lazy journos who are happy to take the easy way with one or two exceptions.

like lots of others I’m done with Sky / BT at the end of the season because my money is perpetuating this shit show. It won’t happen because most people are happy to swallow this crap but until fans withdraw their money there will be no change.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

It can't be corrupt lads. We are different in this country. The colour of our passport makes us immune to money and bias. 

Don't you know that once a referee puts on his kit it automatically wipes his memory of any allegiance he had the day before?

Neville is a shouty little fucking knob. Who the fuck is he to say it 100% can't be true. Never mind that Forest questioned the integrity of the referee on VAR, BEFORE the game.

Never mind that Clattenberg is an ex referee and definitely has way more information than Neville/Carragher or the rest of us. He knows the inner workings and knows refs personally. Maybe just fucking maybe it is true? 

Why not shut the fuck up, and let an investigation take place before you shout your mouths off, maybe there is a can of worms that needs to be opened. The arrogance of them two last night was what was embarrassing. Never mind the decision on 2 out of 3 of those penalties. 

The main stream media is pathetic, it's jobs for the lads, keep the controversy to a minimum to protect your pay packet. Not one of them says "hang on this has happened so many times some of it may be true" 

Wake up, it's happened in other major European footballing countries, so it might be happening here too you idiots. 

• Upvote 3

People calling for the current head of refs are completely missing the point. Yes he's shit but so was the one before him,and before him and before him and so on. I think for the first time we might need a head of match officials who isn't actual a ref,but it is of course important to have somebody who understands the game and the business of it.

The new PR line PGMOL has adopted is - "we are not corrupt, just not very good".

Astounding it has come to this.

Peter Walton sent out to do the talk rounds:

If it came from a fan then maybe you could understand it but coming from an official club website is poor. The issue here is that if the referee is useless, he's useless - but he's not a cheat.

That is why our league and our referees are valued around the world because we just do not have that issue. There may well be issues around the world where leagues can influence the assignment of match officials but in Britain, that doesn't happen.

38 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The new PR line PGMOL has adopted is - "we are not corrupt, just not very good".

Astounding it has come to this.

Peter Walton sent out to do the talk rounds:

If it came from a fan then maybe you could understand it but coming from an official club website is poor. The issue here is that if the referee is useless, he's useless - but he's not a cheat.

That is why our league and our referees are valued around the world because we just do not have that issue. There may well be issues around the world where leagues can influence the assignment of match officials but in Britain, that doesn't happen.

Unbelievable narrow minded,head in the sand shite.

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

I’d like to see the figures on how many times the refs have been sent to look at the monitor this season. I bet those figures are well down on previous seasons? When was the last time it happened in one of our games? Was it Spurs away when we got shafted with the Curtis Jones red card when they showed a still of his studs hitting the other player’s leg?

The lack of being sent to the monitor tells me that they’ve agreed between them not to do it unless absolutely necessary. Every week I watch Match Of The Day and am amazed at the penalties that aren’t given, and no referral to the monitor. 

I do recall Michael Oliver getting involved in the Manchester derby for hojlund brushing someone with his arm on a set piece. Weird that. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

People calling for the current head of refs are completely missing the point. Yes he's shit but so was the one before him,and before him and before him and so on. I think for the first time we might need a head of match officials who isn't actual a ref,but it is of course important to have somebody who understands the game and the business of it.

I don't recall these conflict of interests being an issue before Howard Webb presided over PGMOL. Refs weren't on the payroll of states which own clubs in this country - something he not only promoted, he also subsequently said it wasn't an issue when it was raised and said will continue. The idea of refs not refereeing their clubs or rivals existed in the entirety of football in my life. It was relaxed during COVID for obvious reasons. But since Webb has taken over, it has been completely disregarded, except when it's not. Standards of refereeing and VAR have dropped significantly in his time as head of PGMOL. And he followed mike fucking Riley, who had been widely seen as a disaster. Of course he should be fired, as would happen in any other walk of life after such abject failure. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I do recall Michael Oliver getting involved in the Manchester derby for hojlund brushing someone with his arm on a set piece. Weird that. 

I don't recall these conflict of interests being an issue before Howard Webb presided over PGMOL. Refs weren't on the payroll of states which own clubs in this country - something he not only promoted, he also subsequently said it wasn't an issue when it was raised and said will continue. The idea of refs not refereeing their clubs or rivals existed in the entirety of football in my life. It was relaxed during COVID for obvious reasons. But since Webb has taken over, it has been completely disregarded, except when it's not. Standards of refereeing and VAR have dropped significantly in his time as head of PGMOL. And he followed mike fucking Riley, who had been widely seen as a disaster. Of course he should be fired as would happen in any other walk if life after such abject failure. 

I'm sure refs have been on Middle Eastern jollies for a while. It's only recently it became so brazenly spoken about and photoed.

1 hour ago, Mil-ing Around said:

It can't be corrupt lads. We are different in this country. The colour of our passport makes us immune to money and bias. 

Don't you know that once a referee puts on his kit it automatically wipes his memory of any allegiance he had the day before?

Neville is a shouty little fucking knob. Who the fuck is he to say it 100% can't be true. Never mind that Forest questioned the integrity of the referee on VAR, BEFORE the game.

Never mind that Clattenberg is an ex referee and definitely has way more information than Neville/Carragher or the rest of us. He knows the inner workings and knows refs personally. Maybe just fucking maybe it is true? 

Why not shut the fuck up, and let an investigation take place before you shout your mouths off, maybe there is a can of worms that needs to be opened. The arrogance of them two last night was what was embarrassing. Never mind the decision on 2 out of 3 of those penalties. 

The main stream media is pathetic, it's jobs for the lads, keep the controversy to a minimum to protect your pay packet. Not one of them says "hang on this has happened so many times some of it may be true" 

Wake up, it's happened in other major European footballing countries, so it might be happening here too you idiots. 

Insert a Mr Cholmondley Warner Enfield sketch here.

Watching Murphy and Jagielka on MOTD2 and Refwatch with Dopey Dermot is hilarious. The whole situation is farcical. I did learn, however, that PGMOL has apparently decided to ‘raise the threshold’ for handballs in the last month or so. When was that announced?! Is anyone officially aware? 
As for the 3rd Forest penalty shout, there can’t be a better example of ‘clear and obvious’. Taylor said Young got the ball, he clear didn’t…. irrespective of who he supports, Atwell should face some consequences for not calling that out. Oliver and Taylor clearly don’t like being referred to the monitor…. and Webb needs calling out on that situation. 

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

Collymore has gone all-in on Forest on Twitter, defending the officials. This could be an entertaining few days.

image.png

image.png

That statement has a lot of truth in it but completely misses the point. Forest's statement wasn't about a referee that can make mistakes on a football pitch. It was about a guy watching a TV screen. A guy with access to multiple replays, angles, speeds. He's comparing apples with oranges. Like the Diaz one, nobody I can recall anyway had much of a go at the actual linesman that missed an easy call, these things happen. You can't miss things that obvious with access to a screen.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why would PL refs have been travelling to work games in the Middle East 5 years ago?

What has your reference to 5 years ago got to do with anything?

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

This thread, there is a comment a few posts above your question about refs been having Mid East jollies for years.

That's why I questioned the relevance of any time line? What's different about now to 2019?

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Saudi involvement in football.

Clattenburg quit the PL in 2017 to go to Saudi, to replace Howard Webb, who had earned his coin already.

Added to that Michael Oliver didn't go to Saudi, he went to Abu Dabhi, which doesn't appear to have had any kind of investment in football terms. How anyone can look at Olivers decisions in City's favour and not scream corruption is beyond me. City fans used to have him down as a City hater, I know I used to have him as my ref of choice for big Liverpool games, he was the best by a mile. City knew that come the big games he's the one they would roll out so they bought him.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

Clattenburg quit the PL in 2017 to go to Saudi, to replace Howard Webb, who had earned his coin already.

Added to that Michael Oliver didn't go to Saudi, he went to Abu Dabhi, which doesn't appear to have had any kind of investment in football terms. How anyone can look at Olivers decisions in City's favour and not scream corruption is beyond me. City fans used to have him down as a City hater, I know I used to have him as my ref of choice for big Liverpool games, he was the best by a mile. City knew that come the big games he's the one they would roll out so they bought him.

Good point. A few ref fellas had dipped their toes in.

I think their involvement in football overall has changed massively in those 5 years.

Active PL refs having "working vacations" seems a new development.

22 minutes ago, No2 said:

I think you need another shit.