You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Ray Charles vs Roy Orbison

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Ray Charles vs Roy Orbison  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Ray Charles vs Roy Orbison

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/20 at 12:24

Had some tragedy in his life the Big O didn't he? His wife was killed in a car accident and two years later when he was on tour in England his two boys died when his house burned down. Johnny Cash bought the land and planted an orchard in their memory.

The songs -

Crying,

Pretty Woman,

Running Scared, 

I drove all night,

In Dreams,

You Got It,

Only the Lonely,

Blue Bayou,

It's Over

Love Hurts.

You know how incredible Orbison was cos in the Travelling Wilburys (a band with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty!) the Big O was THE MAN and the one they all looked up to. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Had some tragedy in his life the Big O didn't he? His wife was killed in a car accident and two years later when he was on tour in England his two boys died when his house burned down. Johnny Cash bought the land and planted an orchard in their memory. 

A shame he didn't live long enough to see this competition. 

I like to think that he is somewhere, looking down, taking some comfort in how this vote is going and that can soothe some of that pain. 

16 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The songs -

Crying,

Pretty Woman,

Running Scared, 

I drove all night,

In Dreams,

You Got It,

Only the Lonely,

Blue Bayou,

It's Over

Love Hurts.

You know how incredible Orbison was cos in the Travelling Wilburys (a band with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty!) the Big O was THE MAN and the one they all looked up to. 

Best friends I think weren't they, Cash and Orbison. 

My wife’s Dad insisting on Roy Orbison every year after Christmas dinner makes me vote for Ray Charles.

Also, I greatly enjoyed his cameo in The Blues Brothers.

This album cover always makes we laugh though. Looks like he’s having a piss & looking at the customer saying “And what are you looking at?”.

2082E7D6-E343-4D13-95A0-3CC36EA5A3B2.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Mad the way this vote is going. Orbison was a very good singer; so was Ray Charles, but he was also a supremely innovative pioneer in different genres; a true genius.

Agreed, pretty shocking.

I don't have anything against Roy Orbison but he's never in the same league as Ray Charles.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Agreed, pretty shocking.

I don't have anything against Roy Orbison but he's never in the same league as Ray Charles.

I disagree that it’s shocking. Presumably, people are voting for the artists they prefer, the artists they listen to most. This doesn’t necessarily mean, the most talented, innovative or influential acts. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, John102 said:

The Doors won the greatest American band ever.

Im yet to win a draft, despite 3 clear winning sides.

Take these for what they are. A collection of know nothing cunts commenting on things they know nothing of.

It's a load of opinionated blerts on a f**tb*ll site. All of it is. 

23 minutes ago, John102 said:

The Doors won the greatest American band ever.

Im yet to win a draft, despite 3 clear winning sides.

Take these for what they are. A collection of know nothing cunts commenting on things they know nothing of.

Nautical Matadors still ringing in your ears? 

34 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I disagree that it’s shocking. Presumably, people are voting for the artists they prefer, the artists they listen to most. This doesn’t necessarily mean, the most talented, innovative or influential acts. 

Aye but I find it quite shocking that so many more people would vote for Roy Orbison as their favoured male solo artist over Ray Charles.

It's shocking to me, whether it's shocking to anyone else is up to them.

I'm shocked.

• Upvote 1