Quantcast
Actors who do boss accents - Page 2 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Section_31

Actors who do boss accents

46 minutes ago, Moo said:

She's a right one, British in Britain American in America.  But I don't think it's necessary being fake, both accents are natural to her depending on who she's talking to.

Same with that John Barrowman, proper American or Canadian drawl but when you see him speaking to his Scottish parents he's like Rab C Nesbitt.   

Actually, I used to question both their integrity until I was watching a f**tba*l documentary recently and a daughter was talking to her dad (both initialled KD) and the "scouse" daughter very naturally developed a Scottish lilt.  No way would I question her integrity so the other two now get the benefit of the doubt.

What was the documentary?

3 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Maybe someone from the US could put me straight, but I always thought Hugh Laurie's accent in House was pretty good. Michael Sheen always catches the accent of the character he is playing (Brian Clough, David Frost etc.) perfectly.

I think Brits do a decent job of mild US accents because they mostly tend to stick to the softer northern accents and that helps a lot. It can go a bit,errm South when they try the Southern ones though. James Purefoy in Hap and Leonard is not the best.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, halewood pete said:

Robbie Williams(RIP)did an excellent array of accents,notably scottish

Terrible singer though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

Johnny Lee Miller as Sick Boy in Trainspotting. I just assumed he was Scottish like the others. Speaking of, Kelly McDonald did a convincing southern US accent in No Country For Old Men too.

Thats a great shout. 

Just now, Чемпионы said:

John Bishop does a great Scouse accent. His wiki lists him as an actor, it also says he's a comedian so it can't really be trusted. 

The very definition of a professional scouser.

Disgusted than none of you have brought up the master. 

Sean Connery Irish-American Cop

Russian Sub commander

Spanish Peacock

tenor.gif

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'm struggling to think of good accents, so am posting bad ones instead. 

7 hours ago, Kevin D said:

What was the documentary?

It is a film documentary called 'Kenny' from 2017 shown on C4 recently. Was very good and covered a lot of stuff I knew nothing about.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

New Zealander Sam Neill in Peaky Blinders seasons 1and 2 was sensational as a bent Ulster copper so he was.

The Sam Neill born in County Tyrone? He's Irish by birth,Northern Irish anyway.

18 hours ago, Madrid Diecinueve said:

Steve Arnott in Line of Duty.  You'd never know he was Scottish. 

When I saw the title of this thread I was going to say him. Was gobsmacked when I heard him talk ‘normally’.

12 hours ago, Elite said:

I'm struggling to think of good accents, so am posting bad ones instead. 

If its bad ones you're after, its hard to go past Dick Van Dykes cockney in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

One the other hand, Old Etonian Dominic West did an impressive Baltimore accent in the Wire and the other Old Etonian Damian Lewis has portrayed several Americans (Band of Brothers, Homeland)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

If its bad ones you're after, its hard to go past Dick Van Dykes cockney in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

One the other hand, Old Etonian Dominic West did an impressive Baltimore accent in the Wire and the other Old Etonian Damian Lewis has portrayed several Americans (Band of Brothers, Homeland)

Like I said earlier,Brits are very good doing Yankee,Northern US accents and they don't tend to try to overdo it either. Aussie actors doing US accents also tend to do a decent job. When the roles are reversed however,cor blimey guv!

17 hours ago, Trumo said:

Johnny Lee Miller as Sick Boy in Trainspotting

Not having that one at all.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Like I said earlier,Brits are very good doing Yankee,Northern US accents and they don't tend to try to overdo it either. Aussie actors doing US accents also tend to do a decent job. When the roles are reversed however,cor blimey guv!

Like Don Cheadle in the Ocean's... films. "Leave it aaaht!"

3 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

David Harewood in Homeland is yet another Brit who does a good job,as is the lead actor in Snowfall,Damson Idris.

Only watched Snowfall recently and didn’t realise Damson Idris was British. I’m even more shocked than I was after first hearing Idris Elba speak for the first time. Also after googling him I hadn’t realised that it was him in the Black Mirror episode ‘Smithereens’

Every day’s a school day.