You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Deus Ex

Section_31

Can't believe it's 20 years since this game was released. Still my favourite game to this day with themes that were way ahead of its time. 

Bearing in mind it was pre 9/11, there were no twin towers on the New York skyline, there was a virus on the loose, and the government was being manipulated by a shadowy 'one world government' type organisation. China was being vilified by the West, AI and body augmentations were also becoming part of everyday society, as was hacking, while the government were doing heinous shit under the guise of anti terror measures. This was back in age when trust in the government and conspiracy theory talk was very different than it is now. 

Incredible game. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Can't believe it's 20 years since this game was released. Still my favourite game to this day with themes that were way ahead of its time. 

Bearing in mind it was pre 9/11, there were no twin towers on the New York skyline, there was a virus on the loose, and the government was being manipulated by a shadowy 'one world government' type organisation. China was being vilified by the West, AI and body augmentations were also becoming part of everyday society, as was hacking, while the government were doing heinous shit under the guise of anti terror measures. This was back in age when trust in the government and conspiracy theory talk was very different than it is now. 

Incredible game. 

The original was definitely a ground breaking release as most shooters at that time were blood and guns (Quake, Doom, Unreal Tournament) so a mix of shooter and rpg was definitely welcome. It sold pretty well, as I recall.

I think the sequels (human revolution and mankind divided) were very good but didn't seem to perform too well. 

Just forensically sneaking through that opening section. One of the best ever.

Pre-emptively lining the walls of tough sections with proximity mines so when the enemies turn up they blow up during the cut scene (also a good way of getting rid of Anna without a fight).

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Aventus said:

The first section was a bit of a drag, but it becomes epic after that. My mate gave me the game after fucking it off near the beginning, I nearly gave up too so I'm lucky I stuck with it. 

Yeah agree with that, I got it in a bargain bin, it wasn't until I got to Hong Kong that I knew it was something special. It's the story more than anything and the open ended way you could complete your missions too - I bludgeoned Maggie Chow and threw her out the window, didn't even give her a chance to bullshit me, absolutely no messing at all. 

Top, top game. I'm not a massive gamer (Footy Manager, some click and point, social playing of Mario Kart, FIFA, apart) but this absolutely hooked me when it came out and I picked up a second hand copy about 10 years ago and was equally as taken by it. I still have it and might give it another go.

The demo for this was the entire first level. I got it off a PC mag at the time and played it to death, then actually upgraded my graphics card when it was released- back in those days, upgrading often gave a quantum leap in performance, rather than say, better hair physics performance.

Absolutely amazing game, shame they completely hobbled the sequel by simplifying it to a ridiculous degree for the XBox. Human Revolution was a great game, but as said above, didn't really set the charts on fire, a common theme with other immersive sims over the last decade or so. Mankind Divided fucked itself with a shitty monetisation scheme even before release, and just felt a bit 'off' compared to its prequel.

On 17/06/2020 at 16:01, Aventus said:

The first section was a bit of a drag, but it becomes epic after that. My mate gave me the game after fucking it off near the beginning, I nearly gave up too so I'm lucky I stuck with it. 

For me it was the statement, this isn't a Quake clone. Giving you these breadcrumbs of stun ammo leading you down the stealth path, just challenging you to work through it silently (before you could just slap an achievement on it and call that an incentive) while the level design made it a genuine challenge so you'd often end up blasting your way through (and then panicking and running away). Not for everyone, I love that shit though.