You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

3 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

All these commentators who are now claiming that there is little to choose between Labour and the Conservatives can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned - especially those from the supposedly left wing broadsheets. They all had the chance to get behind a genuine alternative to the neo lib shite we're enduring now a couple of years back, but they shit a brick and allowed all this to happen. Fuck them.

They don't give a fuck who is in power, they're largely insulated from the damage of the government. The idea of journalistic integrity is completely alien to them.

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

They don't give a fuck who is in power, they're largely insulated from the damage of the government. The idea of journalistic integrity is completely alien to them.

That shouldn't excuse Labour from answering a simple question of what are you going to do differently from the other lot. 

I agree with your point as a whole but I've got to defend Frances Ryan, whos link I posted. For the past decade she's wrote some great articles on the effects of austerity. 

2 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The choice right now is to get rid of outright kleptocrats. We can talk about policy afterwards, if there's a country left.

Labour are 20-30 points up in the polls. Stamers 1-7 on to be next PM. To ask what Labours fiscal plans are is completely normal the morning after a budget. Why shouldn't they have plans? Why wouldn't they have plans? Why wouldn't they want to express those plans and explain why they believe they'll be a benefit to the country? 

46 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Working a treat though isn't it? Tory attack lines week after week are, erm, Jeremy Corbyn. Other than that it's made up shit like "Labour would tax topsides of beef and give you six bins".

Labour is trying to win back the red wall, nobody hates poor people like other poor people. The most anti benefits people I've ever met, ever, weren't moneyed toffs, they were (and are) self employed tradesmen.

Honestly Gansher, I'd love to see you get a little Momentum squad together and go pushing your patter door to door in working class Leigh or Blacon, then film the response and put it up on here. If you don't get chased down the street I'll eat my own balls.

I don't live in Knightsbridge. You're right about certain people disliking certain benefit claimants. A lot of it has to do with the rhetoric now being spouted by Labour front bench. We all remember the Osborne 'closed blinds"  'strivers and skivers' guff. 

As touched on by the MP for Birkenhead.

If benefits 'are' stopped or cut back it'll take money straight out of the economy. Increase local crime. Put extra burden on the Police, courts and probation services. Public services will come under unbearable strain. Plus the prisons are already full. It'll prove to be even more disastrous than when Osborne tried it before.

I suppose the only hope is that Labour are trying to sound palatable to the disillusioned Tory voters who would be open to switching their vote, but not to the Marxists. Once in power, they can nudge the narrative to the (centre) left again. Hopefully. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I suppose the only hope is that Labour are trying to sound palatable to the disillusioned Tory voters who would be open to switching their vote, but not to the Marxists. Once in power, they can nudge the narrative to the (centre) left again. Hopefully. 

You have to hang on to this hope. The alternative is that the Labour Party is genuinely a 1950s Tory tribute act. They would be the main right wing party in most other European countries.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

this reincarnation of the tories is the the most unpopular in my lifetime.

Im not sure,if they win the election,saying.."we we are going to do exactly the same" is going to be hugely popular. 

When people are comparing labour to the tories they're comparing them to the tories of yesteryear. May, Cameron, Major, Howard etc.

That's not these Tories, these are crooks, grifters, thieves and flat Earthers.

Anyone who can't tell the difference between, say, Yvette Cooper and Suella Braverman, or Angie Rayner and 30p Lee  mustn't be paying attention.

I'm reminded of the Ham Tyler quote from V when he's discussing the Visitors.

"I may bring the neighbourhood down, but they'll eat it."

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

You have to hang on to this hope. The alternative is that the Labour Party is genuinely a 1950s Tory tribute act. They would be the main right wing party in most other European countries.

I've never voted tory in my life but I'd take Harold McMillan over this Labour front bench anytime of the week. Old Etonion tory cunt but still defended the he welfare state when he came into power in 57.  Brought down the working week from 48 hours to 42. Introduced the housing bill giving local authorities the power over private investors (so keeping the Tory village green lot happy but stopped the yanks bursting in) brought in the Orphans act, giving financial aid to kids who have lost both parents. Introduced the clean air bill, which helped London clean it's smog. Mcmillan was also an advocate of trade unions. 

Old money tory, old school tory. As long as you didn't interfere with their age old wealth and schooling, try to build a superstore on the village cricket pitch or start a workers revolution you weren't a problem. 

I'd take the equivalent now. Although the old tory twat would probably be seen as a bit left wing to get on the current Labour front bench, nevermind leader. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

I've never voted tory in my life but I'd take Harold McMillan over this Labour front bench anytime of the week.

No, he would defect from the Tories to Labour, and you'd crucify him for it. See: every other Tory MP who has defected to Labour.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

No, he would defect from the Tories to Labour, and you'd crucify him for it. See: every other Tory MP who has defected to Labour.

I'd be amazed if someone like Macmillan would ever join the Labour Party. 

As a whole I've no problem with people switching to other party's as long as they fight an election on their new found beliefs and political position.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

When people are comparing labour to the tories they're comparing them to the tories of yesteryear. May, Cameron, Major, Howard etc.

Anyone who can't tell the difference between, say, Yvette Cooper and Suella Braverman, or Angie Rayner and 30p Lee  mustn't be paying attention.

I'd recommend anyone to read Umberto Eco's How to Spot a Fascist .

This current crop of Tories already measure up to a certain degree and they're unmistakably heading in that direction. Starmer's Labour are, at worst, a centre-right party; not the ideal government, but infinitely better than the terrifying alternative.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Nobody’s judging on their personalities but rather what they are telling us what they’ll do and won’t do, which is mostly not very good.

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Nobody’s judging on their personalities but rather what they are telling us what they’ll do and won’t do, which is mostly not very good.

People are saying there's "no difference", which is bonkers.

It's like saying both Labour and the Tories wouldn't spend any money on anything, which would be grim, but the Tories wouldn't not just spend the money, it'd find its way into a Tory donor's pocket, and when people complain, the Tories would try and Stoke a race war and be interviewed about it by a Tory MP on GB news.

People are comparing Labour to, amazing as it sounds, an idealised view of the Tories, and not what they've actually become.

• Upvote 1

For me the only thing Labour are offering right now is that they aren’t the tories. Section is spot on about the race war stuff. They’ve leant on cultural divides for ages, all the “woke” stuff and all. It’s all they’ve got. “We might steal everything off you for our donors and actively lie to your faces but if you vote Labour all women will have dicks and the boat people will arrive in their millions!” 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

For me the only thing Labour are offering right now is that they aren’t the tories. Section is spot on about the race war stuff. They’ve leant on cultural divides for ages, all the “woke” stuff and all. It’s all they’ve got. “We might steal everything off you for our donors and actively lie to your faces but if you vote Labour all women will have dicks and the boat people will arrive in their millions!” 

image.jpeg