You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

25 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

His stance on the eu and brexit/immigration certainly seems to be aimed towards those red wall fuckwits.

Starmers stance on Brexit has remained fairly consistent to the hand he's been dealt.. Imo It isn't aimed at pacifying anyone, it's about taking the right path. His policy towards the EU is imo a big enough reason to vote Labour on its own. I think he'll do well regarding foreign affairs. 

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Starmers stance on Brexit has remained fairly consistent to the hand he's been dealt.. Imo It isn't aimed at pacifying anyone, it's about taking the right path. His policy towards the EU is imo a big enough reason to vote Labour on its own. I think he'll do well regarding foreign affairs. 

He does seem to have shifted in this respect.

I also think he knows he has to win those seats back 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/27/keir-starmer-rules-out-return-free-movement-britain-eu

Just now, Arniepie said:

He does seem to have shifted in this respect.

I also think he knows he has to win those seats back 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/27/keir-starmer-rules-out-return-free-movement-britain-eu

Yeah maybe but he's right in his general opinion that Britain do not put enough resources towards training its own workers. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yeah maybe but he's right in his general opinion that Britain do not put enough resources towards training its own workers. 

The goose has been cooked for years.  Fall in big employers offering swathes of apprenticeships.  All the polytechnics turned into Universities, so big drop in technical education and training.  Funding for universities cut, so they are encouraged to take on loads of foreign students and churn UK students through - who are also being charged fees, rather than getting a free education. 

It's an arse up decades in the making.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Arniepie said:

His stance on the eu and brexit/immigration certainly seems to be aimed towards those red wall fuckwits.

The position is just not sustainable which makes it a pretty mental line to take. Especially as all the evidence is stacking up against it, seemingly on a daily basis. Don't make pledges you simply cannot stick to.

9 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

The goose has been cooked for years.  Fall in big employers offering swathes of apprenticeships.  All the polytechnics turned into Universities, so big drop in technical education and training.  Funding for universities cut, so they are encouraged to take on loads of foreign students and churn UK students through - who are also being charged fees, rather than getting a free education. 

It's an arse up decades in the making.

Aren't they looking to cut back on foreign students Aswell?

I can imagine this having a massive impact on universities.

18 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

It's an etch-a-sketch for politics and business to rearrange to suit their needs.  

It's as genuine as Question Time public opinions. 

I feel actually sad for anyone still taking it at face value.  I want it to vanish from our lives, same as Facebook. 

Although it's got lots of cranks and blowhards is you navigate through the bluster their is a platform there away from the mainstream media. 

An example is the recent missile fired into Poland from Ukraine. The geo political and military experts on twitter got to the truth far quicker and with a far greater accuracy than mainstream media who were saying the missile was fired from Russia and could be the start of world war 3.

• Upvote 1

John Ware (thread passim) has won another libel claim. He wanted £50,000; the judge has awarded him £90,000.

John Ware wins £90,000 libel damages against Paddy French (pressgazette.co.uk)

Mr Justice Knowles said the size of the £90,000 damages reflected the seriousness of French’s defamatory allegations in regard to the potential impact on Ware’s work as a journalist, the widespread dissemination of the claims, the “intentional targeting” of senior journalism bosses that Ware relies on for work as well as “deliberate picketing” at the BBC, and Ware’s “palpable anger and distress”.

He added that French had aggravated the situation by maintaining his use of the truth defence for more than a year before dropping it, his “cynical and untrue portrayal” and by continuing to maintain in public statements that his allegations were true. The judge said French’s attitude towards proceedings, at least since he dropped the truth defence, “has been one of contempt”.

55 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

there is defenitely a mid 90s feel where everyone knows they are on the way out.

Starmer has got a huge job on his hands though.Personally I feel the damage they have done over the last 12 years,is worse than what thatcher did.  

I wasn’t old enough to understand what it was like in the run up to 1997 but I’d wager there were less dickheads around like the ones you see in vox pops now. Vast swathes of people who would never have voted before are suddenly “engaged” and have picked their side, which is the side of Brexit and Anti-Immigration. 

Doesn’t matter how hard Starmer’s trying, lots and lots of these people will still vote Tory because they won’t admit they were wrong in the first place. The best hope is disenfranchise them enough so that they stay at home. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

there is defenitely a mid 90s feel where everyone knows they are on the way out.

Starmer has got a huge job on his hands though.Personally I feel the damage they have done over the last 12 years,is worse than what thatcher did.  

Indeed, and it has got much worse since Starmer became leader. That Truss Crash has made it a lot harsher. Still, if he runs for election he does it knowing full well what he’s taking on. Her can’t ask for much more than an understanding of the economic reality he will inherit. Anybody expecting hundreds of billions of unfunded spending, stuff that would literally tank the economy, and force people out of their homes, is in for a shock. I liked his comments about ending the reliance on cheap Labour at the CBI. He had some moments over the last few weeks that just weren’t nice to watch, but having somebody in a strong enough position to be realistic with the Unions at the TUC and with business at CBI was actually nice to see. 

It isn’t a nice time to become PM and it wasn’t a nice time to become Labour leader, a bit like taking over relegation strugglers and then finding out that your transfer budget is being cut even if you stay up, but fuck it, that’s the job sometimes. Im sure. He would much sooner take over at a time of prosperity and put extra money into services etc, and maybe he can do that if the first four or five years go well. What I’m after is a sensible period of government and the focus being on rebuilding rather than swing how far we can push things before they break. 

15 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I wasn’t old enough to understand what it was like in the run up to 1997 but I’d wager there were less dickheads around like the ones you see in vox pops now. Vast swathes of people who would never have voted before are suddenly “engaged” and have picked their side, which is the side of Brexit and Anti-Immigration. 

Doesn’t matter how hard Starmer’s trying, lots and lots of these people will still vote Tory because they won’t admit they were wrong in the first place. The best hope is disenfranchise them enough so that they stay at home. 

This. The tories know exactly where to ramp up the rhetoric. A labour win is by no means a given. 

14 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The country was possibly a lot less divided then. There was always divisions but Brexit in particular has took a scaplel to those cracks and ripped them wide open.

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The Tories didn't even campaign in Chester, that tells you all you need to know. There's a few already said they won't stand at the next election. They've had their fun and been paid, now it's time to let someone else deal with the fallout I suspect. 

Yeah, things are adequately fucked. They now step back and wait for the fruit to grow, so they can come and harvest it again in a few years. 

52 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Indeed, and it has got much worse since Starmer became leader. That Truss Crash has made it a lot harsher. Still, if he runs for election he does it knowing full well what he’s taking on. Her can’t ask for much more than an understanding of the economic reality he will inherit. Anybody expecting hundreds of billions of unfunded spending, stuff that would literally tank the economy, and force people out of their homes, is in for a shock. I liked his comments about ending the reliance on cheap Labour at the CBI. He had some moments over the last few weeks that just weren’t nice to watch, but having somebody in a strong enough position to be realistic with the Unions at the TUC and with business at CBI was actually nice to see. 

It isn’t a nice time to become PM and it wasn’t a nice time to become Labour leader, a bit like taking over relegation strugglers and then finding out that your transfer budget is being cut even if you stay up, but fuck it, that’s the job sometimes. Im sure. He would much sooner take over at a time of prosperity and put extra money into services etc, and maybe he can do that if the first four or five years go well. What I’m after is a sensible period of government and the focus being on rebuilding rather than swing how far we can push things before they break. 

i remember a little while ago he said this is going to take years to fix.

I know its not his style but he does need to hammer home that messege as the media will be on his case from day one.

The damage they have done with asuterity and brexit is utterly devestating

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

This. The tories know exactly where to ramp up the rhetoric. A labour win is by no means a given. 

The amount of them that are standing down suggests they know that they are finished.

Sajid Javid has a majority of 23,000 and even he's running scared enough to the point he would rather quit than face the electorate. 

Farage keeps hinting that he's going to make a comeback too which would take some of the right wingers off the Tory party vote. 

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Saw Farage interview Matt Le Tissier on his current programme. Genuinely wouldn't surprise me to see Le Tissier run as an MP for Farage's party at the next election in a Southampton constituency. 

Farage seems to be everywhere right now and loads of the bootlickers are calling for him to stand for the reform party or whatever they are called.

I can see the Tories getting wiped out at the next election