You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

Personally, I thinks it's simpler than that. SNP are a credible alternative to any left of centre voter. If they'd have stood in Liverpool I'd have voted for them at the last election, as they ran the best campaign. 

There was a wind of change against labour after brown across the entire UK and labour lost voters then.  The SNP just haven't fucked up enough to make people want to move back to labour since. And with FPTP people also fear splitting any left vote and letting in the Tories or libs. So SNP is just a safe place for people to put their vote right now. I'm not sure how labour win that back under FPTP. 

I’d happily take a Labour/SNP coalition with a guaranteed change in voting system right now. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I wasn't really saying that you were getting at Corbyn, which is why I said what I did about Miliband and Brown as well. The rot had well and truly set in years ago. With each passing year more people have had enough of being ignored. This "he left the party with 355 seats and a majority of around 150" was achieved with 35% of the vote after all. The dynamic was completely different with a significantly less hateful Lib Dem party getting twenty odd percent of the vote and over 50 seats. They took seats off Tories in the South West and other rural areas, and tipped the balance to Labour in some marginal Tory/Lab seats.

Labour needed fewer votes to win a majority and, crucially, needed to attract the vote of fewer sections of society. He could take Scotland and the north for granted, and focus on attracting previous mentioned Volvo nonce. If Starmer goes completely down this route it'll fail miserably. Starmer has to square the circle of having a party that can attract middle class liberals and the working class that voted for Brexit. 

I sincerely hope he can, but for a number reasons I'm not overly confident. I keep wondering how fucking bad can it get before people stop voting for a bunch of ex Etonian sociopaths that wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

Yeah, if it weren’t so tragic it’d be fucking hilarious. Like, in 2562 some college student (or maybe half-man, half-ferret hybrid who is accidentally scurrying through the rubble of a library, depending on how the future goes) will write a paper called ‘how politicians in 2020 got a turkey to vote for Christmas’. It’s actually astounding that so many fall for it. Critical thinking needs to be taught to kids. All day erry day. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, if it weren’t so tragic it’d be fucking hilarious. Like, in 2562 some college student (or maybe half-man, half-ferret hybrid who is accidentally scurrying through the rubble of a library, depending on how the future goes) will write a paper called ‘how politicians in 2020 got a turkey to vote for Christmas’. It’s actually astounding that so many fall for it. Critical thinking needs to be taught to kids. All day erry day. 

I've given up politically, the Mrs is a teacher so I keep trying to persuade her to think about teaching in an international school so we can fuck off, she's having none of it thogh. She's good at living in the 'here and now,' which I'm not, I see only bad things coming down the track.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I've given up politically, the Mrs is a teacher so I keep trying to persuade her to think about teaching in an international school so we can fuck off, she's having none of it thogh. She's good at living in the 'here and now,' which I'm not, I see only bad things coming down the track.

Don’t. Buy. A. Ferret. 

You’ve been warned. 

• Upvote 2

In the UK there is a systemic bias towards the Tories in the Media, Establishment and possibly general public. This is the framework all Labour leaders and politicians need to work in... this bias needs to be overcome and/or circumvented if any sort of success can be achieved.

How successful a Leader is depends implicitly on how they deal with this

Blair as a PM did many good things but he was ulimately a failure being rightly defined as the man responsible for a disastrous war and the many crimes associated with it

As a Labour leader he was wildly successful wining 3 elections. Only him and Wilson have ever done that. Before the hubris and corruption got him he was a brilliant politician.

The point to all of this is elections are won and lost by the leaders and their teams. 

Corbyn did a lot of good things.. I voted for him twice but he will be remembered as the man who guided Labour to their worst result in 80 odd years. This is unfair and paints only half the picture but the end result is that we are now saddled with the most venal and incompetent Government of my lifetime. They have an 80 seat majority and 5 years with which to completely fuck this country in whatever way they see fit. This is a fucking catastrophe for all of us

Starmer, I think, knows what he is doing. I think he can win. He's not going to be perfect and will make mistakes but I'm feeling vaguely optimistic about things for the first time in a long time

• Upvote 8

I was listening to James O’Brien on LBC yesterday, I know he’s a sanctimonious twat but I do enjoy his disdain for the current rabble running the country. Anyway one of his callers said that he and his partner have been following events since the Coronavirus outbreak and were both in complete agreement that the Tories could not have done a worse job if they tried. They both agree that Johnson is unfit for office and that Brexit will be disastrous for the country. This guy’s partner is now retired after selling his successful business and obviously made good money from it. However the caller said that despite believing that the Tories are a shambles, his partner would still vote for them again if there was an election tomorrow as he believes Labour would come after his money. The very essence of a Tory voter that.

• Upvote 7

17 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Sturgeon ruled it out prior to the 2019 election.  Things may be different with Starmer, but obviously her main agenda is a second referendum for independence.  She's in it for Nicola Sturgeon and nobody else.  

She literally said the only reason she's ruling it out was because of Corbyn. Yes she wanted/wants/will demand another referendum but ultimately she said she couldn't vote for Corbyn. 

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Got a quote? All I can find is something on the BBC saying she would support a Corbyn minority government on an issue by issue basis. 

No but I've go the memory of her saying it. Is that enough? 

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It's good but it's not right. 

Its enough for me. 

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Not really. You’re drunk half the time....

Not quite. Thats twice you've said that lately. I think 'hic' 

• Upvote 1

She completely ruled out working with Johnson but suggested she could be amenable to a pact with Corbyn if he looked at Independence / Trident concessions., Corbyn said only that he wouldn't look at a fresh Indyref in the 'early days' of a Labour government.. 

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

She completely ruled out working with Johnson but suggested she could be amenable to a pact with Corbyn if he looked at Independence / Trident concessions., Corbyn said only that he wouldn't look at a fresh Indyref in the 'early days' of a Labour government.. 

I thought she ruled out coalition but had said she could provide support. I just thought that was a public position anyway. They're never going to show their entire hand before the election.

Regardless of whether it would be a good thing or not, I think Labour supporters should cool it with the SNP coalition talk. Fears of a Labour/SNP coalition were what killed Miliband's chances in 2015, it would be wise not to let them wreck Starmer's chances too.

• Upvote 1