You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I think it's more a case of people homing in on Joe's 'errors' and overlooking Virgil's. I much prefer Joe and Virgil at the centre of our defence. Joel continues to look like Bambi on ice although he was superb during the 2nd half of last season and partnered Virgil on merit.

Matip looks like bambi on ice, you say? Uhhh ok. 

3 minutes ago, niallers said:

Statistically, Gomez is van dijks best partner by long way. We concede less goals, lose less and win more with Gomez in the team. That's what the numbers say. I think matip did brilliantly when in the side but you can't argue with the stats. Well, not in this case anyway.

This season.

Matip starts: 8 games, 7 wins, 1 draw, 0 losses

Gomez starts: 22 games, 18 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses.

1 minute ago, Horus said:

It's from Bild. Dortmund want 120m

Ahh, ok, it's not made the BBC Football news, which it would if it was solid.

And miles apart on valuation anyway.

Great talent is Sancho, but he may have his heart set on a certain club already. 

Personally, I think we have money for anything we want, within reason.  JWH will ask Klopp what needs fixing or upgrading, and Klopp will have a look around and we'll see.  One thing for sure, we seem to get our business done earlier than most, and almost always a sale is followed by a signing.  With Lovren gone now, perhaps something out of the blue in the next 48 hours.

I wouldn't be surprised if we move for Nathan Ake. He can challenge for CB whilst covering Robertson at LB. 

35M has been mooted which seems reasonable. Of course, who knows how skint we really are. Latest news suggests we'll be doing our business late this time around. 

If we're really that hard up, why not look at Vertonghen on a free? We just need cover after all. 

34 minutes ago, Horus said:

Going to be a long summer watching united sign sancho and others, chelsea signing werner and Havertz and defenders, city spunking another 3 billion on full backs whilst our fans will defend FSG for swapping Gini with Thiago

We've done all this last pre-season , then pissed the league by 18 points .Chill , Jürgen knows.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Bayern Munich are trying to sign Max Aarons from Norwich. Norwich willing to sell for £20m.

These German clubs like to sign young English players don't they.

Smart. There are loads of genuinely talented young English players right now and if they even play just decently for them, they can make a massive fortune on the resale. 

16 minutes ago, elvis said:

We've done all this last pre-season , then pissed the league by 18 points .Chill , Jürgen knows.

You can't keep going back to the well and miracles shouldn't be part of any business plan. Last season is over, we pushed these guys to their limits.

1 hour ago, Horus said:

You can't keep going back to the well and miracles shouldn't be part of any business plan. Last season is over, we pushed these guys to their limits.

I disagree , we pissed the league and only went out of Europe because we had a shit reserve goalie 

1 minute ago, elvis said:

I disagree , we pissed the league and only went out of Europe because we had a shit reserve goalie 

We did piss the league, but so what? That's over now, and we won't piss it next year even if we win it again. We were also piss poor in the first leg; no midfield runners or ball carriers driving it, no getting round the back, just stuck, 35 yards from goal passing it back to the back 4 then back up to 35 yards again, then back to the defence. This football has a shelf life.

14 minutes ago, Horus said:

We did piss the league, but so what? That's over now, and we won't piss it next year even if we win it again. We were also piss poor in the first leg; no midfield runners or ball carriers driving it, no getting round the back, just stuck, 35 yards from goal passing it back to the back 4 then back up to 35 yards again, then back to the defence. This football has a shelf life.

So you dont think Jurgen knows what he's doing?

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

So you dont think Jurgen knows what he's doing?

Of course I do. Have no idea why these discussions can be so flippantly mischaracterised. Klopp is a genius, but that's not the point. Ferguson was a genius regardless of what we think of them, but he was still spending on his squad when Chelsea came and hoovered up the talent instead of him, and it took a few years to get to grips with it. We have Klopp for another 4 seasons, so what is he supposed to do? The only time they've given him serious money we moved to a different stratosphere, and now they're handcuffing, because not only will they get away with it, people will defend them for thinking it's acceptable that our manager has to perform miracles every year.  

2 minutes ago, Horus said:

The only time they've given him serious money we moved to a different stratosphere, and now they're handcuffing, because not only will they get away with it, people will defend them for thinking it's acceptable that our manager has to perform miracles every year.  

This is what I don 't get. I see this argument all the time about the owners, but I don't really understand what people are accusing them of. I'm not just referring to you here, Horus, it's a general point directed at everyone who thinks FSG are mingebags (there's a lot of you!).

They aren't going to put in their own money to fund transfers (personally I wouldn't want or expect them to), and even if they wanted to do that there's this thing called FFP that means they can't (Man City's cheating notwithstanding).

So, if we're all agreed on the above, then the accusation must be that they are holding back money that the club has made, right? Personally I don't believe this is the case but if it is then to what end are they doing this?

They don't take money out for themselves (or if they do it's only a small dividend) so what benefit is it to them to not spend money any profits that are made? I'm no accountant but I'm sure they'd rather spend it on assets (ie players) than get hit with a big tax bill.

So I genuinely don't get these accusations of them holding back funds and depriving Klopp of what he needs.

As far as I can see, whatever profits are made are reinvested in the team, either through signings or new contracts.

What am I missing here?

9 minutes ago, Horus said:

Also, we have a squad moving up to the point where 2 more summers and we won't even have much sale value in our squad if we have to sell to buy, so where does that leave us then?

The plan would appear to be bring through talented youngsters to offset that, and only spend big where it's necessary. 

I'd feel a lot more comfortable about that if we had shit hot forwards coming through. Elliott might be one, but other than him we're probably going to need to buy when it comes to replacing the current front three. 

I'm sure they have a plan for that though as I'm sure I've read that they are always looking two summers ahead when planning transfers.

37 minutes ago, elvis said:

If Ali was in goal against Athletico and Chelsea, we would still be on for the treble imo. 

That is the point though. We have about 13 top players and maybe 2-3 more potentially very good ones like Curtis Jones. Our squad depth is of concern. Yes maybe someone like Minamino will have a belter of a season and show his Salzburg form, but say we are without two of the front three for a period of time, you have to wonder where the goals will come from on a consistent basis. 

There won't be much improving the first eleven but having a really good number 2 goalie like Romero for an emergency or a really good forward who can step in is what we need. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dave u said:

This is what I don 't get. I see this argument all the time about the owners, but I don't really understand what people are accusing them of. I'm not just referring to you here, Horus, it's a general point directed at everyone who thinks FSG are mingebags (there's a lot of you!).

They aren't going to put in their own money to fund transfers (personally I wouldn't want or expect them to), and even if they wanted to do that there's this thing called FFP that means they can't (Man City's cheating notwithstanding).

So, if we're all agreed on the above, then the accusation must be that they are holding back money that the club has made, right? Personally I don't believe this is the case but if it is then to what end are they doing this?

They don't take money out for themselves (or if they do it's only a small dividend) so what benefit is it to them to not spend money any profits that are made? I'm no accountant but I'm sure they'd rather spend it on assets (ie players) than get hit with a big tax bill.

So I genuinely don't get these accusations of them holding back funds and depriving Klopp of what he needs.

As far as I can see, whatever profits are made are reinvested in the team, either through signings or new contracts.

What am I missing here?

You tell me Dave.

All these partnerships grow the business, but where does that money go? Does acquiring a partner go towards the business as a whole and does that mean if they sell, those monies go into the pockets of the investors?

We pocketed 150 million for coming second last year plus 100 million for the CL win. We are supposedly picking up 175m for being winners (according to various media) so thats 425m in prize money in just two seasons. We haven't bought anyone for three or is it four windows? Ok Minamino at 7 million.

Now because of a few months of no fans at the stadium, we don't have any cash? But we still have online stores and merchandise, new global partners being announced and a bumper kit deal. I mean the world keeps turning doesn't it? The TV revenue will still come in next season for televised games, maybe even more so now.

Nothing makes sense, unless they do use the money for Red Sox maybe? And their strategy is to invest in both Clubs with monies earned every few years to prop each one up as and when needed?

baffles me.

• Upvote 1