You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Freaks me out the way people increasingly Tweet these kind of stories as though somehow it serves them right. Yes some of the conspiracy stuff is nuts, but I absolutely understand vaccine hesitancy given the circumstances (speed it's been developed etc), plus he doesn't say he's glad he's got it as he's trying to make out it's nothing to write home about is he I don't think? More that he's glad he'll get the antibodies.

It's like Brexit all over again. Not everyone who voted Brexit is a racist moron, not everyone who refuses the vaccine doesn't believe in the moon landings.

This is hard shit for everyone to get through, everyone tries to cope in their own way, many can't cope at all.

Not at all. My take is that he’s that far down the rabbit hole that even as he’s dying, his organs failing and must be shitting himself his first thought is to video himself playing it down. He’s so committed to the cause he’s willing to die rather than call an ambulance. 

He’s also trying to influence others.  And up until he died it was working.  Now he’s dead he’s been cut adrift.  

It’s the definition of a cult.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Excellent post Section. There's almost delight in the death of those who are non-vaccinated. It's disturbing how callous we've become in such a short space of time. 

What sort of a statement is that, fucking hell 

4 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Definitely worth listening to this bloke and trusting your immune system.  

That's very sad and the screenshot I've posted from that is very true of what I've experienced lately talking to friends aren't taking the vaccine. Disinformation is a bitch. 

Screenshot_20210807-193918_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Freaks me out the way people increasingly Tweet these kind of stories as though somehow it serves them right. Yes some of the conspiracy stuff is nuts, but I absolutely understand vaccine hesitancy given the circumstances (speed it's been developed etc), plus he doesn't say he's glad he's got it as he's trying to make out it's nothing to write home about is he I don't think? More that he's glad he'll get the antibodies.

It's like Brexit all over again. Not everyone who voted Brexit is a racist moron, not everyone who refuses the vaccine doesn't believe in the moon landings.

This is hard shit for everyone to get through, everyone tries to cope in their own way, many can't cope at all.

I looked him up on Facebook and there are multiple people commenting on his his posts and videos saying serves you right, Another one bites the dust and bet you'd wish you had the vaccine now etc. His actual profile that his family and friends will see!

There has always been a number of people that have sadly fell for duff information on various topics. Hounding people after they have died is beyond the pale!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I looked him up on Facebook and there are multiple people commenting on his his posts and videos saying serves you right, Another one bites the dust and bet you'd wish you had the vaccine now etc. His actual profile that his family and friends will see!

There has always been a number of people that have sadly fell for duff information on various topics. Hounding people after they have died is beyond the pale!

That’s bad. 

But he was encouraging people to do the same thing. 

Is it analogous with someone saying ‘take these drugs, they are ace, they won’t hurt you’ and then they die of the drugs.  

9 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

That's very sad and the screenshot I've posted from that is very true of what I've experienced lately talking to friends aren't taking the vaccine. Disinformation is a bitch. 

Screenshot_20210807-193918_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm currently reading 'The Constitution of Knowledge: A Defense of Truth' by Jonathan Rauch and I can't reccomend it highly enough.

It goes in to the politics of disinformation, but more interestingly the psychology of it all.

It's a fascinating insight in to how this has been used and is now out of control as it's creating alternate, individually defined, realities, and the shared common experience, and more importantly the agreed upon parameters of reality, are being knowingly eroded.

Scary stuff.

• Upvote 1

The vaccine is a societal issue. If you get it, you contribute to public health so there's an element of frustration against people who don't get it. And then, people on social media are faceless and will write brazen stuff they never would say in person. None of this is surprising, we all know this.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I'm currently reading 'The Constitution of Knowledge: A Defense of Truth' by Jonathan Rauch and I can't reccomend it highly enough.

It goes in to the politics of disinformation, but more interestingly the psychology of it all.

It's a fascinating insight in to how this has been used and is now out of control as it's creating alternate, individually defined realities, and the shared common experience, and more importantly the agreed upon parameters of reality, are being knowingly eroded.

Scary stuff.

I've downloaded it on Kindle so will have a look through it. Cheers Bruce.  Looks quite the lengthy tome though.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Absolute cunts. I fucking hate sharing this world with such complete scum 

Just now, Rico1304 said:

That’s bad. 

But he was encouraging people to do the same thing. 

Is it analogous with someone saying ‘take these drugs, they are ace, they won’t hurt you’ and then they die of the drugs.  

Yeah he was, and I've absolutely no doubt that if he'd pulled through it, he'd be telling people how even though it does make you really ill, it was still better than getting the vaccine! 

I don't personally understand how anybody can look at all the information and come to the conclusion that not getting the vaccine is a good idea, but there is always that percentage of the planet that will think like that, no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary.   

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah he was, and I've absolutely no doubt that if he'd pulled through it, he'd be telling people how even though it does make you really ill, it was still better than getting the vaccine! 

I don't personally understand how anybody can look at all the information and come to the conclusion that not getting the vaccine is a good idea, but there is always that percentage of the planet that will think like that, no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary.   

People are dumb; 

homeopathy

flat earth

chiropractors 

Faith healers

psychic healers

Religion

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

People are dumb; 

homeopathy

flat earth

chiropractors 

Faith healers

psychic healers

Religion

I sometimes say this and remember that I am a people. 

5 hours ago, Moo said:

What's the alternative though? How else can NZ emerge from it's brilliantly effective but economically and emotionally challenging lockdown?  Maybe the government should encourage vaccine take up by setting out a plan for opening up?  Maybe initially they could say we'll open up for important personal and business travel, and see how that goes? 

I was only thinking about NZ this morning, how hard it must be to decide how to come out of this.

edit - and there's opening up, and opening up.  No reason NZ can't open up a bit more and still insist on negative PCRs and quarantine hotels

We have a successful bubble with the Cook Islands, which is also Covid free. The idea I think, was to expand on the Australasian bubble after initial success, but clearly now, Ardern & Co. are back to square one as you correctly surmise.

However, our balance of payments over the last yr hasn’t been as bad as anticipated even though tourism hit record low levels. Food exports have been efficient, and we can feed ourselves. Everything domestically is open including said tourism sector, so we’re all holidaymakers in our own superb playground. Probably the biggest issue is a lack of Tradies, especially builders, but apprenticeships are up. The lack of Seasonal overseas workers is being counteracted by actually getting people off the dole here and getting them into some of those jobs with assistance for employers and temp accommodation for workers willing to move.

Latest report from our economists has open borders a long way off but sustainable with the current system of ‘select’ entry after quarantine and neg test.