You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

27 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Turns out that the government telling shops etc to close won’t impact on their insurance as 99% of businesses wouldn’t be covered anyway.  

Insurance companies telling businesses not to bother claiming as they won’t be covered due to technicalities in contract. No surprises there. Suspect they’ll drag out a bunch of court cases and end up winning as many clients will be bust before a settlement is reached

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Im not saying the EU have done anything well here I'm making the point that I think Boris decided now was the time to show everyone how great and independent the UK are and he has undoubtedly cost more lives than was necessary in doing so.

To be honest, I don't think they've done it for any reason to do with the EU. The other EU countries have mostly acted independently through this process and I'm sure we'd have done so regardless. He'll have made these choices to do it on the cheapest possible budget before realising it was a global fuck up and we were getting fucked regardless. He's got a right hand man who thinks it's his duty to be as wacky as possible. I honestly think we'd have done everything the same had these issues hit us in October. 

10 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

Insurance companies telling businesses not to bother claiming as they won’t be covered due to technicalities in contract. No surprises there. Suspect they’ll drag out a bunch of court cases and end up winning as many clients will be bust before a settlement is reached

Not really, it was ABI who said this isn’t a risk covered in standard insurance. It can be covered but most companies would buy an off the shelf package.  

37 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Peston is suggesting that the government aren't going to go much further beyond the Coronavirus provisions laid out in the recent budget and it appears that there'll be nothing like the reaction from the French/Scandi governments. 

Good ol' Peston.

345 new deaths in Italy, 2503 now. In about 3 to 4 days, they will probably overtake China and become the country with most deaths and most likely most (actual) cases. They already have 3 times more registered active cases than China.

Active registered cases in the world are now over the 100,000 mark.

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has been asked on a few occasions to address the irresponsible comments from his father. He has simply addressed the other aspects of the questions asked and moved on without discussing his father's comments. 

I'm no fan of this Buffon but serious questions are being asked by the adults and childish questions should quite rightly be ignored. Now is not the time for that bullshit as people are terrified of how they will be able to afford to live.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, davelfc said:

I'm no fan of this Buffon but serious questions are being asked by the adults and childish questions should quite rightly be ignored. Now is not the time for that bullshit as people are terrified of how they will be able to afford to live.

Generally agree but Johnson had a huge hand in setting the tone of politics in this country so I don’t have a huge amount of sympathy when it bounces back on him

Just now, PestiRed said:

Generally agree but Johnson had a huge hand in setting the tone of politics in this country so I don’t have a huge amount of sympathy when it bounces back on him

I agree too, but there's a time and a place. They shouldn't lower themselves to it, they have a massive responsibility to us to ask the difficult questions and not look for soundbites. 

3 minutes ago, davelfc said:

It's an important question. He gave out advice yesterday and a member of his family appeared to rubbish that advice. And, people seem to be acting along similar lines. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It's an important question. He gave out advice yesterday and a member of his family appeared to rubbish that advice. And, people seem to be acting along similar lines. 

They are not ignoring the advice because of what his dad said, they are ignoring it partly because it's not been given in the right way and partly because they are idiots. He dad seems like a right idiot.

I'm not going to defend this bumbling fool, I expect better from the people asking the questions because we all depend on them use their time to get the answers. Gutter journalism should stay there. (and I hate the tories)

11 minutes ago, davelfc said:

It doesn't really show clear government guidelines when his 79 year old dad is saying he will go the pub if he wants to during a televised interview. The same dad he sent to stand in for him on the Channel 4 climate debate. 

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

It doesn't really show clear government guidelines when his 79 year old dad is saying he will go the pub if he wants to during a televised interview. The same dad he sent to stand in for the Channel 4 climate debate. 

Yeah well we don't really have clear government guidelines, they fudged the whole thing yesterday. IMO

2 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yeah, the whole "but your dad said" line turns it into cheap family melodrama rather than serious policy based questioning.

He's a bellend, so's his dad; no news there. Now, onto what he's actually doing, please.

Standing there sheepishly while his two week in office replacement Chancellor does his work for him by the looks of it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Standing there sheepishly while his two week in office replacement Chancellor does his work for him by the looks of it. 

The bloke in the big office that takes the the blame for things might have changed but the whole department underneath is exactly the same. Any of us could do that job, probably better.