You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All-New International Week International Draft Discussion Thread

Bjornebye

Gazza is a tough one to call.

Incredible natural ability, could have been Englands greatest ever player. I always feel like he never quite got to the very top though.  His club career is hugely disappointing. 

Players like Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes consistently proved themselves at the highest level.  

The 4/3/2 divisions. 

He made his debut pre 85 its not youth football. There's nothing to argue. The fact its a semi pro contract makes no difference just as it didn't with Peter Schmeichel pre Brondby. It's still league and not youth football. 

Socrates was a legitimate pick. 

I checked the rules

His 15 minute cameo in the 7th tier of English football meant he had played within the specific dates and it also shows that Weah is ineligible as he played league football no matter how low a level outside of them dates 

Socrates was a great pick and everyone was jealous they did not think of it

11 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Socrates was a legitimate pick. 

I checked the rules

His 15 minute cameo in the 7th tier of English football meant he had played within the specific dates and it also shows that Weah is ineligible as he played league football no matter how low a level outside of them dates 

Socrates was a great pick and everyone was jealous they did not think of it

I agreed re: Socrates. Just saying lets not have murder again. 

I have no horse in this race, but it seems to me that Schmeichel having played Premier League-equivalent Danish football is a rather different prospect than George Weah playing "4th division Liberia", for a team that don't even really seem to exist in any meaningful way??

Schmeichel's wiki shows his "Senior Career" began in 1981. Weah's wiki shows his "Senior Career" began in 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schmeichel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Weah#Club_career

According to https://www.footballdatabase.eu/en/club/team/13299-young_survivors/1982-1983 this team only had 3 seasons in existence, and the only player online registered as having played for them is Weah. A professional team?? Come on.

I'm all for stretching the game to make it strategic & meaningful, but this criticism seems way too obtuse and unnecessary.