You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spacing after commas and full stops.

Anny Road

I’ve always use 2 spaces after a full stop.  I always just thought people who didn’t do it were just uneducated retards or people who just didn’t pay attention when they were taught it.  I didn’t realise what I had been taught wasn’t the standard across the board.  I personally think it looks far better.

It makes your posts look weird on here now though.  It can’t handle it and pushes your first word on a line along by a space sometimes.

44 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

A full stop is grammatically named wrong as a sentence that ends with a full stop and then a new sentence beginning has not fully stopped it has simply been paused and the fact that it continues with another sentence means that even placing a double space after a meaningless full stop that has not fully stopped is utterly fucking pointless.

prince2.gif

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I’ve always use 2 spaces after a full stop.

Except your other posts on this forum until now?

32 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I always just thought people who didn’t do it were just uneducated retards or people who just didn’t pay attention when they were taught it.  I didn’t realise what I had been taught wasn’t the standard across the board.  I personally think it looks far better.

Uneducated in what way? Where still teaches it? They didn’t teach it at my universities, with their own style guide calling for a single space. I have never come across it in any academic literature, I certainly don’t use it in any I write, nor have I ever been asked to do it; practically all style guides forbid it. The standard across the board is single space. In fact, you should have a look at the fairly comprehensive list of scientific, legal, academic, and governmental style guides here.

I quite liked this article, which said

‘By about 1950, most house styles had dropped the double space and agreed to use a single space in all instances. Today, almost every major style guide recommends this, including The Economist, the Guardian and the Chicago Manual of Style.

So, given this general consensus, is using two spaces after a full stop actually incorrect?

Some say it is, and pretty unequivocally too. It’s ‘totally, completely, utterly, and inarguably wrong’, according to American journalist Farhad Manjoo, writing on Slate.com. Worse, says Telegraph columnist Damian Thompson, it’s a ‘typographical atrocity’.’

And further from Wiki

’[10] Williams 2003. pp. 13–14. This refers to professionally published works, as it is possible for individual authors to publish works through desktop publishing systems. Williams states, "I guarantee this: never in your life have you read professionally set text printed since 1942 that used two spaces after each period." See also, Felici 2003, p. 81; Strizver 2010; Weiderkehr 2009; Williams 1995. p. 4.’

So either almost everybody in the world, including authors, newspaper editors and journalists, and academics, are all uneducated retards, or this whole double space thing is a pile of outdated wank. 

Think of the planet. How many more trees would we need to cut down to produce the extra paper for double spaces if all the newspapers and books used that system.

How about Spanish speaking writers. How many spaces does an ¡ or an ¿ need at the start of a sentence?

Given the number of mistakes I manage between autocorrect, sausage fingers and sloppy proof reading, extra spaces fade into insignificance.

7 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Except your other posts on this forum until now?

Uneducated in what way? Where still teaches it? They didn’t teach it at my universities, with their own style guide calling for a single space. I have never come across it in any academic literature, I certainly don’t use it in any I write, nor have I ever been asked to do it; practically all style guides forbid it. The standard across the board is single space. In fact, you should have a look at the fairly comprehensive list of scientific, legal, academic, and governmental style guides here.

I quite liked this article, which said

‘By about 1950, most house styles had dropped the double space and agreed to use a single space in all instances. Today, almost every major style guide recommends this, including The Economist, the Guardian and the Chicago Manual of Style.

So, given this general consensus, is using two spaces after a full stop actually incorrect?

Some say it is, and pretty unequivocally too. It’s ‘totally, completely, utterly, and inarguably wrong’, according to American journalist Farhad Manjoo, writing on Slate.com. Worse, says Telegraph columnist Damian Thompson, it’s a ‘typographical atrocity’.’

And further from Wiki

’[10] Williams 2003. pp. 13–14. This refers to professionally published works, as it is possible for individual authors to publish works through desktop publishing systems. Williams states, "I guarantee this: never in your life have you read professionally set text printed since 1942 that used two spaces after each period." See also, Felici 2003, p. 81; Strizver 2010; Weiderkehr 2009; Williams 1995. p. 4.’

So either almost everybody in the world, including authors, newspaper editors and journalists, and academics, are all uneducated retards, or this whole double space thing is a pile of outdated wank. 

I always hit the space button twice even on my phone.  If it doesn’t register it then I’m not overly arsed because it’s on a forum.  I’m not going to go back and put an extra one in.

As I say I always thought I was right doing it and people that didn’t were just retards.  Obviously I was wrong (I’m not being sarcy here either).  I was taught it at school and the first time I noticed people not doing it was at Uni.  In work situations I’ve found a mixture of people doing it and not and the people who didn’t tended to be idiots whereas the people that did were always educated or appeared intelligent.

10 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I always hit the space button twice even on my phone.  If it doesn’t register it then I’m not overly arsed because it’s on a forum.  I’m not going to go back and put an extra one in.

As I say I always thought I was right doing it and people that didn’t were just retards.  Obviously I was wrong (I’m not being sarcy here either).  I was taught it at school and the first time I noticed people not doing it was at Uni.  In work situations I’ve found a mixture of people doing it and not and the people who didn’t tended to be idiots whereas the people that did were always educated or appeared intelligent.

I have to admit, I only checked 10 or so off your posts but I didn’t see a single instance of you doing it. Which is good, because it looks fucking terrible. 

11 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I have to admit, I only checked 10 or so off your posts but I didn’t see a single instance of you doing it. Which is good, because it looks fucking terrible. 

Just so you don’t think I’m a complete crank Numero go and have a look on my profile again but of the post that you originally quoted saying this is the first one I’ve ever done it on.  You will see that now has only one space after full stops as well.  It looks like the website is on your side and is correcting it and actually gets rid of the second space when you look at posts through people’s profiles.

If you click on the post itself it then has the double space in the post on the actual thread.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Just so you don’t think I’m a complete crank Numero go and have a look on my profile again but of the post that you originally quoted saying this is the first one I’ve ever done it on.  You will see that now has only one space after full stops as well.  It looks like the website is on your side and is correcting it and actually gets rid of the second space when you look at posts through people’s profiles.

If you click on the post itself it then has the double space in the post on the actual thread.

Fair enough, mate. I wonder if I can make it so my browser ‘corrects’ all the double spaces to a single. 

11 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

A full stop is grammatically named wrong as a sentence that ends with a full stop and then a new sentence beginning has not fully stopped it has simply been paused and the fact that it continues with another sentence means that even placing a double space after a meaningless full stop that has not fully stopped is utterly fucking pointless.

PARKLIFE!

• Upvote 3