You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

1 hour ago, Code said:

Hopefully fans can forgive a keeper making two mistakes in a game this time around. 

He better not concede a soft goal in the warmups any time soon though. 

The key difference was that Karius made a number of fuck ups before the final, and also didn't ever look like the sort of goalkeeper that could win us games by making world class saves. His career or lack of it since he went out on loan speaks volumes. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Has had a few close calls when taking too long to pick the perfect punt forward. When you get caught once, dont try the trick again. He'll be massively disappointed with that performance, Im sure.

Yes I mentioned this in another thread, in the past few games he's been taking some chances for no reason. 

He will be OK it happens to the best of goalies, twice though grrr, I'm not going to start giving him down the banks as he's a decent goalkeeper and one of ours, and I'm glad of that. 

The worst thing about both his mistakes was that he wasn't under pressure, just seemed to have a brain fart twice in 4 minutes. Poor lad won't be able to sleep tonight. We can all have a shit day but it' can be critical if you are a goalie. 

On to sat and Leicester. 

2 hours ago, Liverpool lad said:

Trying to pin this on FSG but struggling 

Let me help you.

LFC in race to sign Kobak.

Top target won't be released as they can't find a replacement in time. Some other CB we where trying to sign 

Get the right players where they should be playing.

Not a go at you fella but fuck me, they don't give a shit.

2 hours ago, Liverpool lad said:

Trying to pin this on FSG but struggling 

If FSG brought in a defender or two at the start of Jan as they should have done it could be argued that Ali would feel more confident with the defenders ahead of him and would be less likely to dick about. So FSG can take a portion of the blame here too.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

I love Alisson, so I'm not bashing him, but this isn't entirely surprising to me, I've always thought he takes unnecessary risks at times. Hopefully it doesn't affect him going forward but I'm fairly confident it won't 

He's a great keeper in many different ways, but he is less good on the ball than he thinks he is. We are poor at playing out from the back. I wonder if we should just tell him to hoof it and then counter press the resulting throw ins. 

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's a great keeper in many different ways, but he is less good on the ball than he thinks he is. We are poor at playing out from the back. I wonder if we should just tell him to hoof it and then counter press the resulting throw ins. 

Agreed, I actually think his ability on the ball is overstated. Better than most goalies around, still. Not sure what he was doing today. What was that illness he had the other day, must have been brain-fart-itis

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

The key difference was that Karius made a number of fuck ups before the final, and also didn't ever look like the sort of goalkeeper that could win us games by making world class saves. His career or lack of it since he went out on loan speaks volumes. 

Nah, Karius had a very good season up to the final.

But football fans have no consistency in their behaviour, so Alisson will obviously be given a different treatment.

Thank God for that, these things happen and he is the best GK in the World, even if he fucked up today. 

4 hours ago, Elite said:

Two mistakes that cost us one game is better than two mistakes that cost us two games. Hope it's out of his system now.

I can't think of any other time he's cost us points since he's been here. But there are plenty of times he has won us points.

I'm assuming he was still not 100% from his illness and I'm hoping he'll be alright for the next match. 

36 minutes ago, Code said:

But football fans have no consistency in their behaviour, so Alisson will obviously be given a different treatment.

Thank God for that, these things happen and he is the best GK in the World, even if he fucked up today. 

Karius failed to recover from Kiev: that’s the difference. 

48 minutes ago, Code said:

If Karius had such a good season, how come Besiktas were the biggest club that came in for him and he now finds himself as backup at Union Berlin?

• Upvote 1

Ive great sympathy with 'modern' day keepers. They have to play with a ball that moves all over the place plus not only expected to be good with their feet, they are expected to play virtually every ball 'short.' Even goalkicks more often than not are short not halfway up the pitch.

Alli compounded his one error by trying to play the ball short, again, minutes after cocking up. But again as Ive said before, stop putting your keeper under needless pressure by playing it back to him especially in and around the edge of the box. The 3rd goal, Alli's 2nd error, there was plenty of opportunity for the defenders to 'launch  it!' but no, we have toplay it around and are forced into errors.

To be fair with the first clearance there was still a lot to do to score, Edison nearly fucked up at the start of the match when his clearance went to Mane...The difference is City are top and are playing with confidence so you get away with those things when you’re going on to win the league .