You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

I wonder if Spurs would change their mind about replaying our game if there are two points between us and Arsenal near the end of the season?

The fume would be unimaginable. But fun.

But yes, the league would obviously not allow it. Fun to dream though. 

23 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

The shove on Endo should have been given in real time. Every cunt gets these soft free kicks except us.

It should have. He did look at it, again, realised he’d made a mistake and overturned it. I think that’s fair enough.

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

It's a waste of time, pardon the pun 

But you see the two penalty decisions today. Technically, they where the correct outcomes, but if it was left to the ref, it still would have just been one penalty to Palace, so it would have evened itself out. 

Game after game (not just ours) are the same. The whole rhythm of the game is being destroyed by these constant stoppages and since the diaz incident, they're taking longer and longer. Sadly they won't just fuck it off. 

5 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

The shove on Endo should have been given in real time. Every cunt gets these soft free kicks except us.

I watched the match with some Bournemouth fans, (so no dog in the fight), and to a man they said if that was a foul on a Crystal Palace player the ref would have given it in a heartbeat. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, an tha said:

Missed some of our game today.

What happened with their penalty? Heard play was stopped a good while after it happened to then review and give it...?

Almost two minutes to stop play for a very simple foul that the (again poor) referee missed. Correct decision but once again bad officials and appalling VAR overshadowed it all.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Almost two minutes to stop play for a very simple foul that the (again poor) referee missed. Correct decision but once again bad officials and appalling VAR overshadowed it all.

To be fair it was explained on my stream that the first forward was borderline offside from the goalies launch so they had to make a decision on that before moving onto the foul which was done quite quickly.

• Upvote 1

It’s here to stay so just use it for offside and otherwise rely on the field officials’ original decision unless the ref thinks he had a bad view of something and he asks (without any advice or interference) to see it again on the screen.  You wouldn’t even need refs on the VAR just a team of competent Ollies.  

13 hours ago, Boz said:

I watched the match with some Bournemouth fans, (so no dog in the fight), and to a man they said if that was a foul on a Crystal Palace player the ref would have given it in a heartbeat. 

To be honest, I think madley is just a pretty shit referee. I don't think he is biased at all, in fact the 2 VAR pens is testament to that. There are some refs where all over the pitch with every decision you question their integrity. I don't think madley is one of them. I just think he can't read what's happening in front of him. His view of the endo challenge was brilliant. And the time he took reviewing it on the screen looking for any evidence he may be right, was an illustration for me that he genuinely thought Hughes had got the ball, despite everything his eyes told him. 

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

To be fair, while I would agree it was a foul and as soon as VAR asked him to view it, I was sure it would be a pen, they very, very rarely overturn ones as soft as that. That's normally the type you expect the VAR supports whatever the onfield decision is. It was interesting those on MOTD (including Wright who of course is a palace lad) said pretty much that. 

I thought the VAR was right on both calls. The ref didn't give either decision so the VAR interventions were necessary. The only issue with them was how long they took. For the second, I don't think the ball ever went out of play following the foul so the review was ongoing. Had the ball ever gone dead, and then the referee stopped play after it restarted because the VAR asked him to go to the screen, we would certainly have had a case to ask why, based on what happened with Diaz at Spurs.

For the first incident, I don't understand why it took as long as it did to come to the right decision, but what I liked about the process was the referee's insistence on viewing the fouls in slo-mo as well as in real time. Not stills showing the moment out of context, just the full incident. He also remembered to rescind the yellow card he'd given to Virg.

So while the ref didn't give a foul in the first instance, he used VAR as effectively as he could to ensure the right calls in the end.

• Like 1

I think if you take a full kick at the ball, miss it, and kick an opposition player you can't complain at a free kick / penalty. 

At the risk of repeating myself, the delay was working out whether the first forward was offside from the goalies kick , not the penalty decision itself.

4 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Am I the only one who thought it wasn't a penalty? The palace player was already on his way down. Trent's tackle tackle barely touched him. Certainly wasn't enough to make him trip over. 

Is it a non-contact sport? 

It’s a penalty if you want it to be. Which is basically what VAR does. If you look hard enough, zoom in enough, play it slow enough, and want to find a foul, you’ll find one more often than not.

if VAR didn’t exist that wouldn’t be a pen and nobody would be talking about it being missed. 

7 hours ago, Trumo said:

I thought the VAR was right on both calls. The ref didn't give either decision so the VAR interventions were necessary. The only issue with them was how long they took. For the second, I don't think the ball ever went out of play following the foul so the review was ongoing. Had the ball ever gone dead, and then the referee stopped play after it restarted because the VAR asked him to go to the screen, we would certainly have had a case to ask why, based on what happened with Diaz at Spurs.

For the first incident, I don't understand why it took as long as it did to come to the right decision, but what I liked about the process was the referee's insistence on viewing the fouls in slo-mo as well as in real time. Not stills showing the moment out of context, just the full incident. He also remembered to rescind the yellow card he'd given to Virg.

So while the ref didn't give a foul in the first instance, he used VAR as effectively as he could to ensure the right calls in the end.

The ref asked for every possible thing because he was absolutely desperate to give the penalty. He didn't take anything like that care and consideration over the own he awarded. 

8 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be honest, I think madley is just a pretty shit referee. I don't think he is biased at all, in fact the 2 VAR pens is testament to that. There are some refs where all over the pitch with every decision you question their integrity. I don't think madley is one of them. I just think he can't read what's happening in front of him. His view of the endo challenge was brilliant. And the time he took reviewing it on the screen looking for any evidence he may be right, was an illustration for me that he genuinely thought Hughes had got the ball, despite everything his eyes told him. 

I think the general consensus was that he'd given Palace a fair few soft free kicks with minimal contact yet somehow missed Hughes plowing through the back of Endo. The right call was made in the end but yes, 100 per cent agree, shit rather than biased. 

7 hours ago, Dicko said:

For Salah's goal why wasn't the player sent off?

I know double jeopardy applies but that was a leg breaking tackle.

You cant apply double jeopardy and play the advantage so a sending off could not be applied. He also wasnt the last man and no denying a goalscoring opportunity applied either. A caution could if the referee thought it was worthy of it but he didnt stop play so highly unlikely again.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You cant apply double jeopardy and play the advantage so a sending off could not be applied. He also wasnt the last man and no denying a goalscoring opportunity applied either. A caution could if the referee thought it was worthy of it but he didnt stop play so highly unlikely again.

It wasn't a question of double jeopardy though was it? it was a 2 footed lunge. I thought it was dangerous play myself and endangered the opponent, which both the ref or the VAR could give if i understand the laws correctly.