You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

17 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I've never really got the obsession with diving. Is it any different to us cheering our DM for 'taking one for the team' to stop an opposition attack, or a defender putting a deliberate reducer on a forward to 'let them know they are there'.

No, it's exactly the same.

When it's our player and they get away with it we think it's great, when it's the opposition we want it punished.

• Upvote 1

"Mr Dermot" has said that the Odegaard one should be a penalty. The VAR (David Coote, the same knobhead who was so focussed on a marginal offside that he failed to noticed the reckless lunge by T-Rex that crippled Virg in the derby back in 2020) has said he thought Odegaard was making himself smaller. He was, while almost gathering the ball up!

He is also completely baffled by the Willy Boly sending off for 2 yellows in the Forest game as he doesn't think the challenge was even a foul. A bit like Diogo at Spurs, it would have been better to have been given a straight red as it can then be appealed against whereas there is no appeal for 2 yellows, no matter how fucked up the decisions were.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I've never really got the obsession with diving. Is it any different to us cheering our DM for 'taking one for the team' to stop an opposition attack, or a defender putting a deliberate reducer on a forward to 'let them know they are there'.

Or waving an imaginary yellow card is a disgrace and worthy of an actual yellow card, whereas sprinting up to the referee and screaming that it’s a yellow card is just waved away with no issue?

• Upvote 1

So to summarise tonight - VAR wouldn't overrule a wrong call for our 1st disallowed goal so it could stand, but do intervene to overrule and disallow our 2nd disallowed goal after it was originally given for an offside that it took them with VAR an age to rule out (and was ropey as fuck)

They really have got the wrong intentions with how they are going about this haven't they...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Apparently they are just applying the rules. 

"Salah was offside. The push that put him offside wasn't enough for a penalty." 

But enough to put him in an offside position and therefore see a goal chalked off....

Meanwhile in same game they don't overrule a wrong call for a so called foul that led to a goal being disallowed.

Stupid cunts.

They have the chance to use it positively but it is always nearly aleays negative when they act.

• Upvote 1

I didn't see the push when watching the it live, my parents where around for dinner, so initially, I couldn't disagree with the outside decision. 

But on replay now, when you see salah is pushed, it's a tricky one for the referee to be fair. 

He is definitely in the keepers eyelign, we can't say he isn't

32 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I didn't see the push when watching the it live, my parents where around for dinner, so initially, I couldn't disagree with the outside decision. 

But on replay now, when you see salah is pushed, it's a tricky one for the referee to be fair. 

The last offence is punished unless the team offended gains an advantage eg if a player is fouled outside the box but continues into the box and is fouled again then the worst offence (a penalty ) is given,unless an advantage occurs,here a goal. By applying this logic if Salah wasnt offside but was caused to be offside by a foul then a goal should be given. I have to say that I turned the game off for a few minutes after seeing that 'VAR review' thing as I was steaming with anger at the whole farce of it all. Its fuckin awful,as are the officials.

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

It isn't tricky.

According to them, the offence was insufficient to award a set piece, but sufficient to disallow a goal. It isn't tricky. They're making it appear tricky.

Yes I’m repeating myself, but they - the match officials and VAR personnel - are fucking obsolete. We can put cameras on players bloody shirts for ‘great footage’ but refuse to implement sensors that place every player perfectly on the pitch and have the data accurately and seemlessly and more importantly, INSTANTLY correctly implement the rules with pre-programmed software and not one official within a million miles of a decision.

Fuck I hate Hierarchy.

You can't be giving penalties for the push on Mo, I guess how he got to be offside is irrelevant if it wasn't a foul. My issue with that decision is Mo had no impact on the keeper, he's not saving that in a million years. He's going the wrong way, Harvey is 8 yards out and powers it in, its a clear goal all day long.

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

You can't be giving penalties for the push on Mo, I guess how he got to be offside is irrelevant if it wasn't a foul. My issue with that decision is Mo had no impact on the keeper, he's not saving that in a million years. He's going the wrong way, Harvey is 8 yards out and powers it in, its a clear goal all day long.

Of course it is.

But it is any little thing with these cunt officials and us and they were never going to pass up the opportunity to do us over again with this one.

• Upvote 1

Just now, an tha said:

Of course it is.

But it is any little thing with these cunt officials and us and they were never going to pass up the opportunity to do us over again with this one.

That's 2 separate points. Tierney set out to screw us, he always does. I was more pissed off with all the tiny fouls rather the 2 big ones he done us over with. That doesn't change a player being pushed offside is still offside, we do it all the time on set pieces.