You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I love this one, tackles in the PL this season:

NDIDI - 101

KANTE - 70

CAN - 52

FERNANDINHO - 46

MATIC - 42

DIER - 39

HENDERSON - 29

Let's put this into perspective. It's January, and last season only 3 players made over 100 tackles throughout the entire season:

GUEYE - 135

KANTE - 127

ROMEU - 117

There's a certain type of player that can hit the target and is cool when they shoot and has the confidence to shoot in the first place. Coutinho was that player, even Steve Harkness was that player. Players can lose that when join bigger clubs. The contribution from CM can only improve but what we've lost from Coutinho will be surely offset by being tighter at the back.

I read today, we were happy to keep Sturridge if an attractive deal isn't proposed in this window - Klopp's fifth.

Q: Why has Klopp kept a massive malingerer so long?

Better question should be why can't a so called world class striker get someone to pay £25m for him? 

• Downvote 1

It isn't beyond the realm of probability that the reason his stats have improved these past two years are because he has played so little!

Difficult to break a toy if you never take it out of the box.

I wasn't arguing with you.

The facts are the facts and they are he is injured way too often as we all know and Klopp does not fancy him even when he is available - anyone who has watched him jog around and try and nurse himself through games for us when he has played can see he does not trust his own body and that he because of that is no good for how we play and what Klopp demands from his players to make it work - hard work, pressing, covering loads of ground, utilising pace etc.

Combined interceptions, blocks, winning headers, winning tackles, and total passes for this season -

MATIC - 47 + 42 + 9 + 43 + 1672 = 1813

PROPPER - 47 + 40 + 6 + 25 + 980 = 1098

KANTE - 43 + 70 + 3 + 11 + 1363 = 1490

MILIVOJEVIC - 41 + 54 + 8 + 28 + 946 = 1077

ROMEU - 38 + 67 + 12 + 57 + 1284 = 1458

GUEYE - 37 + 76 + 5 + 19 + 1019 = 1156

KRYCHOWIAK - 37 + 28 + 4 + 18 + 556 = 643

DOUCOURE - 36 + 51 + 4 + 30 + 1464 = 1585

FERNANDINHO - 35 + 46 + 4 + 67 + 2075 = 2227

DIER - 33 + 39 + 9 + 64 + 1594 = 1739

NDIDI - 32 + 101 + 8 + 73 + 1186 = 1402

CORK - 32 + 43 + 12 + 30 + 999 = 1116

MERINO - 31 + 51 + 6 + 33 + 684 = 787

CAN - 23 + 52 + 3 + 35 + 1000 = 1113

But without the number of minutes they’ve been on the field, this is not useful, so:

NDIDI = 1402

Mins played 2131

Score per 1000 mins = 657

ROMEU = 1458

Mins played 1891

Score per 1000 mins = 771

FERNANDINHO = 2227

Mins played 1995

Score per 1000 mins = 1116

DIER = 1739

Mins played 2018

Score per 1000 mins = 861

MATIC = 1813

Mins played 2124

Score per 1000 mins = 853

GUEYE = 1156

Mins played 1765

Score per 1000 mins = 654

KANTE = 1490

Mins played 1828

Score per 1000 mins = 815

DOUCOURE = 1585

Mins played 2070

Score per 1000 mins = 765

MILIVOJEVIC = 1077

Mins played 1821

Score per 1000 mins = 591

CAN = 1113

Mins played 1437

Score per 1000 mins = 774

CORK = 1116

Mins played 2160

Score per 1000 mins = 516

MERIN0 = 787

Mins played 1150

Score per 1000 mins = 684

PROPPER = 1098

Mins played 2146

Score per 1000 mins = 511

HENDERSON = 1264

Mins played 1273

Score per 1000 mins = 992

KRYCHOWIAK = 643

Mins played 1191

Score per 1000 mins = 539

Better question should be why can't a so called world class striker get someone to pay £25m for him? 

How is the fuck is this a better question? Sturridge isn't responsible for picking the team or deciding the shape of our squad; Klopp is.

I don't particularly give a fuck about Sturridge's wage, his injuries, his decline in ability, his attitude, etc. If he isn't good enough or right for us in any regard, then we should have gotten rid and replaced him with a first class striker that is.

That's on us. Not him.

• Upvote 1

Looking through the data on premierleague.com, it's interesting to see the top passing stats for a midfielder through the years:

06/07

FABREGAS - 2585 (Xabi - 2023)

07/08

FABREGAS - 2318 (Gerrard - 1653)

08/09

Denilson - 2535 (Xabi - 2482)

09/10

Barry Ferguson - 2168

10/11

Danny Murphy - 2330

11/12

Luka Modric - 2534

12/13

Michael Carrick - 2774 (Gerrard 2387)

13/14

Yaya Toure - 2502 (Gerrard 2219)

14/15

Cesc Fabregas - 2743 (Henderson 2181)

15/16

Cesc Fabregas - 2829 (Can 1793)

16/17

Granit Xhaka - 2298 (Henderson 2057)

2017/18

Fernandinho 2075 (so far)

(Xhaka - 1973 so far)

Both these two likely to break the record set by Fabregas.

I read today, we were happy to keep Sturridge if an attractive deal isn't proposed in this window - Klopp's fifth.

Q: Why has Klopp kept a massive malingerer so long?

The answer to this question is also in this post, at least to my eyes.

The reason we have kept Sturridge is because an attractive deal hasn’t as yet been proposed.

I’ve no doubt a Sturridge will be off as soon as that threshold is reached. If it isn’t, we may well continue to keep him on.

The conjecture on my part is that as time elapses, I could imagine the threshold getting lower. Early on it might have been £x transfer fee, and perhaps now it is a loan, with a loan fee, with a view to buy, and the other club takes on all of his wages.

Looking through the data on premierleague.com, it's interesting to see the top passing stats for a midfielder through the years:

06/07

FABREGAS - 2585 (Xabi - 2023)

07/08

FABREGAS - 2318 (Gerrard - 1653)

08/09

Denilson - 2535 (Xabi - 2482)

09/10

Barry Ferguson - 2168

10/11

Danny Murphy - 2330

11/12

Luka Modric - 2534

12/13

Michael Carrick - 2774 (Gerrard 2387)

13/14

Yaya Toure - 2502 (Gerrard 2219)

14/15

Cesc Fabregas - 2743 (Henderson 2181)

15/16

Cesc Fabregas - 2829 (Can 1793)

16/17

Granit Xhaka - 2298 (Henderson 2057)

2017/18

Fernandinho 2075 (so far)

(Xhaka - 1973 so far)

Both these two likely to break the record set by Fabregas.

Apparently, Otamendi has made the most passes in the league this year.

How is the fuck is this a better question? Sturridge isn't responsible for picking the team or deciding the shape of our squad; Klopp is.

I don't particularly give a fuck about Sturridge's wage, his injuries, his decline in ability, his attitude, etc. If he isn't good enough or right for us in any regard, then we should have gotten rid and replaced him with a first class striker that is.

That's on us. Not him.

In the last couple of years, the club seems to have changed its policy for getting rid of unwanted players. I think the Balotelli deal was the tipping point. We won't accept shit loan deals that do not benefit us in any way, and we won't sell players on the cheap. It means that one or two players will end up sticking around but not playing, and other clubs who'd hoped to pick up a bargain or a very favourable deal (for them) either have to cough up or look elsewhere. With the amount of money in the game, why should we short-change ourselves?

The reason we have kept Sturridge is because an attractive deal hasn’t as yet been proposed.

I’ve no doubt a Sturridge will be off as soon as that threshold is reached. If it isn’t, we may well continue to keep him on.

The conjecture on my part is that as time elapses, I could imagine the threshold getting lower. Early on it might have been £x transfer fee, and perhaps now it is a loan, with a loan fee, with a view to buy, and the other club takes on all of his wages.

He is clearly not in Klopp's plans and having Solanke as Firmino's back up is very worrying.  It doesn't look like Klopp particularly trusts Ings either.  Sturridge, Ings and Origi need to be flogged and a half decent striker needs to be purchased asap.  Solanke is not the answer.

Klopp clearly wasn’t sure about him and we could have been throwing away a very good player. Now since he’s been back from his long term layoff he’s looked half the player and has still got lots of minor injuries. The fact he’s been on 150k a week since Klopp got here was probably a block to him going anywhere and not costing the club money still. The club don’t need to be getting rolled over by clubs who’ve got money themselves to do a player a favour when he’s been on a good wage himself for a long time. If Firmino is out he’s still a better player than Ings or Solanke although our style of play would have to change dramatically to accommodate him. It’s pretty obvious Klopp is happy to see him go now but the money men will want to make sure we don’t get ripped off. It’s not really hard to understand.

In the last couple of years, the club seems to have changed its policy for getting rid of unwanted players. I think the Balotelli deal was the tipping point. We won't accept shit loan deals that do not benefit us in any way, and we won't sell players on the cheap. It means that one or two players will end up sticking around but not playing, and other clubs who'd hoped to pick up a bargain or a very favourable deal (for them) either have to cough up or look elsewhere. With the amount of money in the game, why should we short-change ourselves?

We are paying so many dog shit players wages for nothing.  It would be better to just cut losses sometimes and use the wages on a player that might have an impact.

• Upvote 1

I think this is a good point mate. It definitely is simply an economic reasoning, as there is no football reasoning for sure.

I do wonder how sound that economic reasoning is given we have paid him a wack in wages over the last two years, probably paid a fair amount in medical expenses and have also seen his value diminish over time.

I reckon we would have gotten 30m (back when 30m was today's 50m) from the likes of West Ham had we sold him at the start of last season (post his EL final goal). 

This really seems to ring true with Studge, but I feel like it's a false economy. If somebody on his wages are not in your plans and/or unreliable, you really ought to get rid and cut your losses.

This really seems to ring true with Studge, but I feel like it's a false economy. If somebody on his wages are not in your plans and/or unreliable, you really ought to get rid and cut your losses.

Of course the ideal scenario is to not have any players in this situation, but every squad will have at least one or two players getting paid but not contributing. The other point concerns the wages, as there are very few clubs who pay players what we do. If you 'cut your losses' on an irregular basis, it doesn't pose a problem. If you keep doing it, other clubs and agents will use it against you and all you'll be doing is paying off players' contracts to get them to leave while saying goodbye to any chance of getting reasonable transfer fees when you want to offload players.

There is a balance to be struck, and to me it looks like the shift in club policy is tipping that balance more in our favour.

We kept Sturridge on because of the chance he could contribute a decent return as a high quality, albeit bit-part, player. That’s the footballing reason.

The economic reason is that no one has offered us whatever we wanted to cross the threshold and trigger a move.

We’ll soon be there and he will be off.

Firmino is top dog, but what happens when he is out is a concern. Ings too rusty and not sure he’ll be what Klopp needs after his injuries, Solanke trying to cut his teeth and get going.

The way I’d approach it is to sign another wide player, preferably one with some versatility and goal scoring capabilities, since Mane and Salah can both play through the middle and add goals that way as needed.