You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke

Two and a half hour session under lights coming up.

Big big session for England... these night sessions can be a bit mad.

Wickets turn matches, hopefully we can get a few early ones and turn the tide. Great Saturday Night viewing for you lot Down Under! 

Odd decision to bowl.

Yes, it was overcast, but I wonder whether it was more to avoid batting.

Wouldn't surprise if 4 or 5 wickets fall in last session under the full lights.

6 or 7 down won't be enough to justify bowling though.

I reckon they knew they’d definitely get to bowl with the new ball and a session under the lights and it was as simple as that.

First time I've watched more than two minutes of the series and I'commentating I've got some woman that insists on calling it the "dinner break", Graeme BANTER Swann, and now Ponting (actually far less irritating than the other two).

Fucking shit coverage this compared to Sky.

Guest Pistonbroke

Game on now, with all Australian heavyweight bats gone.

Well bowled, Overton, lad.

He deserved a wicket as he has bowled well on debut, far better than Ball did in the first test. 

I reckon they knew they’d definitely get to bowl with the new ball and a session under the lights and it was as simple as that.

And there was rain around first thing so as close to English conditions as you could get in Australia. Bowling made complete sense and we've done ok, a bit more luck and they'd be 7 or 8 down. We beat the bat quite a few times early on.

First time I've watched more than two minutes of the series and I'commentating I've got some woman that insists on calling it the "dinner break", Graeme BANTER Swann, and now Ponting (actually far less irritating than the other two).

Fucking shit coverage this compared to Sky.

I really like Ponting as a pundit, he was boss for Sky too.

As for the rest of the coverage - I agree, very poor compared to Sky.

Really think England missed a trick with the squad they selected.

Broad and Anderson are solid - although Anderson's record in Australia is moderate.

But you look at Australia's attack and they have pace that batsman don't like.  

England just selected more bowlers which are similar (but nowhere nears as good) as Broad and Anderson in Ball & Overton.  Woakes deservedly got on the tour based on his past 2 years.

But with Finn getting injured, who has been patchy for the last few years.  I think England really needed someone like Wood to offer some more pace and threat.  The other thing I like about Wood is he can reverse the ball which might be crucial over the series.  

Wood had a poor summer.  But are Ball, Overton better than him and will be more effective than him? I don't think so.

Guest Pistonbroke

Aussie's day, but the slow run rate means they are not out of sight. Need to get a few early wickets with the new ball tomorrow and the whole thing could change. Set up nicely. 

Wood isn’t fit enough mate. Without his pace he’s average and in the summer he was carrying an injury so struggled.

Not at all surprised they didn’t pick him but they should have looked at someone like Plunkett.

Oh right.

I saw he lost half of his central contract and now only has the ODI part.  Thought he was just out of favour, didn't realise he wasn't fit.

Plunkett would have been better, as he has some pace and a bit about him.  Although not sure how much red ball (although they're playing with a pink ball more like a white one it seems currently) cricket he has been playing.

When you see what Harmison and even Tremlett have done to them in the past in Australia with some pace and bounce.  We've gone with a squad that has none of that! 

I do feel sorry for Root.

A the beginning of the day it felt like good conditions to bowl.  Then you factor in the lights coming on later.  It was meant to feel more like an English weather day than Australian one.  So I don't think he made a poor choice, just don't think England did enough with it and the conditions weren't as favourable as we all thought they'd might be. 

Oh right.

I saw he lost half of his central contract and now only has the ODI part. Thought he was just out of favour, didn't realise he wasn't fit.

Plunkett would have been better, as he has some pace and a bit about him. Although not sure how much red ball (although they're playing with a pink ball more like a white one it seems currently) cricket he has been playing.

When you see what Harmison and even Tremlett have done to them in the past in Australia with some pace and bounce. We've gone with a squad that has none of that!

Exactly.

Plunkett would have been a bit of a left-field selection but he has something different and that’s what you need.

We’re going to get battered in this series when we really shouldn’t.

• Upvote 1

Massive first session. One thing England managed ok was keep the run rate in check. New ball today, Smith and Warner out, score not out of hand.

Overton looked good too, not even counting the wicket. What was the reasoning behind Ball over him in Brisbane?

It's good to hear most are happy with a bit of sledging. Anyone who has walked to the middle surrounded by a chirpy opposition on a roll after a few quick wickets, knows what the mental side of the game is all about.

This is the pinnacle of the game, as far as I'm concerned. Let them go, the umpires have the authority to step in and act if it goes too far.

Massive first session. One thing England managed ok was keep the run rate in check. New ball today, Smith and Warner out, score not out of hand.

Overton looked good too, not even counting the wicket. What was the reasoning behind Ball over him in Brisbane?

It's good to hear most are happy with a bit of sledging. Anyone who has walked to the middle surrounded by a chirpy opposition on a roll after a few quick wickets, knows what the mental side of the game is all about.

This is the pinnacle of the game, as far as I'm concerned. Let them go, the umpires have the authority to step in and act if it goes too far.

Ball is quicker than Overton apparently. Not that you could tell from the pitch at the Gabba.