You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alcolism

Kloppite

I brought my friend to meetings. Tried my best to be there for him, but he'd had a serious drink problem since he was about 16 and it was the only coping strategy he ever knew. He died last year at the age of 31.

He did, at times, manage small stints off it here and there but unfortunately he was always drawn back to it, and had a few mates he made in AA that would go astray with him.

One thing was, he always talked about wanting to control or, and be able to have a few now and again. He couldn't imagine a world without drink in his life.

Don't make that mistake. Ask any ex drinker. Life is tough and shit sometimes. But it's infinitely harder when you're constantly off your head. There are so many more things you can do with your life than sit in a pub. Accept that this will have to be an entire change of lifestyle, way of thinking and maybe even social circle. But get help, and do it for yourself.

A lot of research suggests addiction is often due to an underlying mental health issue. Talk to someone about that as a possibility too. My friend suffered from anxiety very badly, and could barely look people in the eye without a drink. As he started so young though, I don't know what came first.

Wanting to stop drinking so I can change my social circle. Seems to be that every person I associate with is a cunt and we are all cunts together and hammer the drink and drugs when we are together.

Its genuinely horrifying, dare I say, sobering, how it can kill at such a young age

My mum's neighbour died in his 40's from alcohol related liver failure and I was really shocked it could happen that young.

Wanting to stop drinking so I can change my social circle. Seems to be that every person I associate with is a cunt and we are all cunts together and hammer the drink and drugs when we are together.

This might sound cheesy, but go find a hobby and immerse yourself in in it. Something that you get excited about. Cookery class. Gym. Footy. Coding/Computers. Whatever. Look on 'meetups' for groups who do your hobby. It's tough meeting new people at first but it'll be hugely rewarding.

• Upvote 2

You've got to find things to do in the time you'd normally be drinking, to change your routine completely. A really good tip though is to keep a diary, even if it's only for the first few weeks, it's not for everyone but at moments of wekaness going back to that and reading what you were goping through will remind you how far you've come and what you do not want to go back to.

• Upvote 2

I've known one or two alcoholics in my time. The one thing that stands out for me as a common theme (although certainly not all of them) is that when they reach a certain point of drunkenness they feel the need to cut down those around them. Used to have a mate that no one would drink with, as after the fourth pint he would start laying in to whoever he was with - saying the nastiest things that would cut through and leave his target feeling shitty about themselves. I have no idea how, but he just had the ability to get to you.

Any of you experienced this? Or been on the receiving end of it? It's worse if you are in a relationship or have a family member with this trait.

They always seem to start the next day as if they never said all the terrible things as well.

My last ex. She used to do shift work so was often off during the week while I had work. Many a time is get home and she would be drinking white wine. Once she had passed 3 glasses she would turn vile and nasty about me and anyone. Completely in her own zone. I used to just take myself to bed but could never sleep till finally got in bed because she had a baby of leaving the cooker on/ back door open etc. Next morning it would be shrugged off as if it was me who had the problem.

• Upvote 6

You just know that this is one of those threads that, in the months and years to come, you will try to search for and be completely infuriated by, because although you know damn well it exists, you simply cannot find the fucker because of the word "alcolism".

If only I could forget the abomination of a thread title so easy.

My last ex. She used to do shift work so was often off during the week while I had work. Many a time is get home and she would be drinking white wine. Once she had passed 3 glasses she would turn vile and nasty about me and anyone. Completely in her own zone. I used to just take myself to bed but could never sleep till finally got in bed because she had a baby of leaving the cooker on/ back door open etc. Next morning it would be shrugged off as if it was me who had the problem.

Same thing happened to me towards the end of my marriage. Just horrible, and like you it was if I had the problem because I didn't like to come home after work and find her half cut.

Same thing happened to me towards the end of my marriage. Just horrible, and like you it was if I had the problem because I didn't like to come home after work and find her half cut.

She used the excuse that it was "her weekend" which is right I guess but Fucking go out or something. All she did was shop cook and drink whereas is always have jobs do to round the house if I'm off and she was working. Both best out of it mate.

This might sound cheesy, but go find a hobby and immerse yourself in in it. Something that you get excited about. Cookery class. Gym. Footy. Coding/Computers. Whatever. Look on 'meetups' for groups who do your hobby. It's tough meeting new people at first but it'll be hugely rewarding.

http://menssheds.org.uk

• Upvote 1

I put a shed up at the side of our house a couple of weekends ago and then got wasted on stoli as it took two whole days to do.

The shed is boss. I cant cope with the hangovers so i dont drink that often.

Craftsmanship though.

18193821_10154883124194219_8677264808572

A bit too close to the house there. You'll get damp issues for sure. I hope it doesn't drive you to hit the bottle.

If it wasn't for AA my mum and brother would be dead I reckon. My mum might as well be dead for all intents and purposes but that another story. The alcoholic mind and personality is a very complex thing and very rarely has to do with drink. Drink is just there so they use it. My mums and brothers issues reach a lot further than alcohol. Most of their life is driven by an uncontrollable fear. Drink takes that fear away. They haven't drank for a long time but they battle demons everyday.

• Upvote 2

The caption for that one is:

"This is a shameful union – a slacker + vodka!" V. O. Pushenko, Ukrainian SSR, 1980

Obviously these posters didn't work. When I worked in London i'd be on the tube at 7:15am and there would always be loads of russian lads and they would all be stinking of booze/vodka. Everyday