You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

In our first line up or close to it.

That's the issue, based on what has come from Can's side along the way. Is he in it, or is he close to it? The truth is the latter. But that's no bad thing. He will see plenty of action, and its up to him to force his way in.

He might not like his chances if we sign Keita, as for central midfield there will be Keita, Coutinho (I think he will play more in the middle, since we have two quality wingers) Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana and an emerging Grujic. Can might fancy his chances getting past a couple of them but he must doubt he will be a first team regular, hence the stalling on a new deal.

If he is getting assurances that he will be a main man at Juventus, he will be off. But on the other hand, we might not sign Keita and he might back himself to do well here, so a deal will be signed soon, when he gets back.

We will know soon enough one way or the other.

• Upvote 1

Talk in the excess that Juve has agreed terms with Can despite not having permission from LFC.

When is this shit about agreeing terms with a player before getting the club's permission either going to be stopped or accepted that it goes on (if it has) so get over it?

dbf9e2f131f684c5a6fd0003e8a3752d.jpg

Always baffles me how these talks drag on and on.

Club: Okay Emre, your contract runs out next year, we are prepared to offer you £90,000 a week

Emre: I want £120,000

Club: Right, well, we can go as high as £100,000

Emre: Meet in the middle, £110,000

Club: That suits us, we'll get that typed up right away.

How long does that take, 30 seconds?

Well, the club won't be talking to Can about it, for a start.

Always baffles me how these talks drag on and on.

Club: Okay Emre, your contract runs out next year, we are prepared to offer you £90,000 a week

Emre: I want £120,000

Club: Right, well, we can go as high as £100,000

Emre: Meet in the middle, £110,000

Club: That suits us, we'll get that typed up right away.

How long does that take, 30 seconds?

You missed out the bit where a player says "no, I said I wanted £120k a week not, £100k or £110k. It's £120k a week and I want a gauranteed start in every PL and CL game, thanks. Now, where's my contract for signing?

If he is in two minds about signing a new contract then just sell him. If the fee reported in the article is true (27-31m) then we should. We would still need a replacement and possibly another player seeing as Lucas has gone and Kevin Stewart is going.

Agreed. As long it's not to a rival and we have a few clauses, then I have got no problem selling Can for 30m. I think Coutinho, Milner, Henderson and Lallana are all better than him, as is Keita.

You missed out the bit where a player says "no, I said I wanted £120k a week not, £100k or £110k. It's £120k a week and I want a gauranteed start in every PL and CL game, thanks. Now, where's my contract for signing?

You're both way off the mark.

EC - I want guaranteed playing time and 100k a week.

ME - So you want parity with Dejan Lovren then ?

EC - At this stage in my development I need assurances and the contract terms my ability warrants.

ME - Ok 75k a week and you can play centre back.

EC - ( Emre swears in Turkish or German )

ME - Ok Emre, 50k and you can play right back. Done ?

Emre can see's out his contract and does a Matip.

No real problem with Can going if he wants out fuck him, let him go...but our ability to replace him is very worrying.

I still remain very unconvinced that we are going to do enough to fix the inbalances and lack of depth in our squad and get it up to the demands of fighting on 4 fronts next season.

No real problem with Can going if he wants out fuck him, let him go...but our ability to replace him is very worrying.

I still remain very unconvinced that we are going to do enough to fix the inbalances and lack of depth in our squad and get it up to the demands of fighting on 4 fronts next season.

Not sure about that. The only midfielder we currently have who relishes a battle. He was huge for us in the last third of the season.

• Upvote 1

Not sure about that. The only midfielder we currently have who relishes a battle. He was huge for us in the last third of the season.

All about if he wants out for me....my attitude is if a player wants to go then fuck him let him go.

I have never believed in keeping players who want out - they can be toxic for team spirit and morale and bad news when in the trenches.

If the lad wants to be here, wants to fight for the shirt and the club and himself great.

• Upvote 1

If (and it's a fucking big if) we sign keita I can't imagine Can playing that much at all.

With salah signing that mean coutinho dropping into midfield.

Can and wijnaldum will be the two to miss out regularly until Henderson gets injured again.

When we have league game saturday, europe weds (not thurs hopefully), league game sunday for example we are going to need numbers (especially given the injury prone nature of our players) there will be chances and playing time for all....especially if we don't just toss our FA cup place away this season.

True but with a fully fit squad we will have four / five players not even making the bench

Solanke

Origi

Trent

Grujic

Woodburn

A fully fit squad is something no club really ever has and something we especially won't have.

Why do you think Lucas played in over 30 games last season (in two positions) and that was without Europe!

The club gets a lot of criticism but this one is on Emre Can. He's had a new deal in front of him for a while. It hasn't been about the terms, as he has said so himself. It has been about the playing side of things, and he has wanted assurances that he will play.

I wouldn't offer any. His assurance is the new deal we are offering. That's an indicator we want him to stay. Beyond that it's up to him to play his way into the team and stay there. He did well last year. More of that and he has every chance of becoming an important player for us, But if he doesn't feel up to the challenge, that's on him, not the club.

So in which case we should be ratcheting up an auction and already have his replacement with the squad. Instead, we'll sit on our hands pretending none of this is happening till juve come in deadline week and take him. Big January ahead etc.