You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2016

aRdja

If we're looking for a striker that's sort of a younger version of Sturridge (minus the injuries), then I don't understand why we don't go to Marseilles and offer them £20m for Michy Batshuayi.

I know, OM keep saying that they don't want to let him go until the summer but give them that much money up front and they'll do it.  And he could be just the player to fire us into the top 4 or at the very least ensure we don't look so totally lost whenever Sturridge is out.

A mystery how we've spent 45m on Belgian strikers and failed to get the one really good one.  22 years old, 14 goals already this season.

If we're looking for a striker that's sort of a younger version of Sturridge (minus the injuries), then I don't understand why we don't go to Marseilles and offer them £20m for Michy Batshuayi.

I know, OM keep saying that they don't want to let him go until the summer but give them that much money up front and they'll do it.  And he could be just the player to fire us into the top 4 or at the very least ensure we don't look so totally lost whenever Sturridge is out.

A mystery how we've spent 45m on Belgian strikers and failed to get the one really good one.  22 years old, 14 goals already this season.

He really really isn't that good. Trust me, I watch quite a bit of french football (lived there for a few years). Even Marseille fans have started turning on him for the same reasons we turned on Benteke. In fact, if you wanted a like for like replacement for Benteke, Bashuayi would be the one. Ridiculously selfish, never plays his better placed teammates in and constantly getting in their way in attack, whilst expecting everyone to play the ball to him. I wrote the same thing a few pages earlier, but here's an article from a Marseille journalist published yesterday echoing the same feelings.

http://www.lephoceen.fr/infos-om/saison/gril-batshuayi-les-stats-ne-suffisent-pas-142879

"He's the best (only) striker in the squad, but the stats don't tell the whole story. He doesn't score important goals. For me, he squanders far too many chances relative to the amount of goals he scores. Moreover, in the game, he doesn't make enough use of his strengths. For example, in his play back to goal where I find he too often gets beaten to the ball by the defender and I find him far too selfish"

Did my best with the translation but that does sound incredibly, familiar, doesn't it?

• Upvote 2

He really really isn't that good. Trust me, I watch quite a bit of french football (lived there for a few years). Even Marseille fans have started turning on him for the same reasons we turned on Benteke. In fact, if you wanted a like for like replacement for Benteke, Bashuayi would be the one. Ridiculously selfish, never plays his better placed teammates in and constantly getting in their way in attack, whilst expecting everyone to play the ball to him. I wrote the same thing a few pages earlier, but here's an article from a Marseille journalist published yesterday echoing the same feelings.

http://www.lephoceen.fr/infos-om/saison/gril-batshuayi-les-stats-ne-suffisent-pas-142879

"He's the best (only) striker in the squad, but the stats don't tell the whole story. He doesn't score important goals. For me, he squanders far too many chances relative to the amount of goals he scores. Moreover, in the game, he doesn't make enough use of his strengths. For example, in his play back to goal where I find he too often gets beaten to the ball by the defender and I find him far too selfish"

Did my best with the translation but that does sound incredibly, familiar, doesn't it?

Totally agree with you about batshuhy

For me we still need to address the same problems we have had since Suarez left.

A mobile pacy attacker, a presence in central midfield to provide us with protection, a commanding goalkeeper and an option at left back.

I would have added a centre back to that but Lovren has improved a lot recently so if want to see if that continues. In priority for me is;

1. Attacker - we seem unlikely to score so someone mobile and Pacey would not only open up a threat but provide options to the likes of coutinho and firmino

2. A central midfielder to protect the defence and allow us to counter properly. Freeing up players to attack.

3. A commanding goalkeeper. Mignolet may have the most clean sheets in 2015 but we seem to panic when we conceded a corner or a cross comes in. Someone with better distribution would be ideal. From the little I have seen Ter Stegen could be ideal.

4. A left back - Moreno needs a challenger. I would like to think a more experienced pro would be ideal. Basically exactly what Enrique should be if he hadn't seemingly given up being a footballer.

Ryan Kent being recalled apparently. Not exactly a great sign for those expecting a busy transfer window if we are recalling the loanees as first-team cover.

Can't say the Coventry fans are too bothered about the recall. Great pace and skill but lack of a football brain and end-product is the general feeling I'm getting from their forum. Should fit right in then.

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/62379-Ryan-Kent-to-(actually)-be-recalled?s=66e05f8879677f962c0dc8581cafdc5a

All signs point to this being a very quiet window.

Unless Klopp has some sort of crazy ace up his sleeve, and I almost don't think he's capable of that kind of sleight of hand with the media, then it looks like a frustrating one for the fans.  Frustrating because we've been so poor, but with the league so open we still have a decent-ish chance for top four.  Add a goalscorer and a better goalkeeper and we'd probably be favourites for it.

Alas, I think we're going to get a couple of kids and bring home some loanees.  Which I would be OK with if I knew we were keeping the powder dry for a run at Icardi and Neves (or similar) in the summer.  The problem is that a part of me wonders if we'll be doing a bunch more of these 5m U21 player deals then, too.

All signs point to this being a very quiet window.

Unless Klopp has some sort of crazy ace up his sleeve, and I almost don't think he's capable of that kind of sleight of hand with the media, then it looks like a frustrating one for the fans.  Frustrating because we've been so poor, but with the league so open we still have a decent-ish chance for top four.  Add a goalscorer and a better goalkeeper and we'd probably be favourites for it.

Alas, I think we're going to get a couple of kids and bring home some loanees.  Which I would be OK with if I knew we were keeping the powder dry for a run at Icardi and Neves (or similar) in the summer.  The problem is that a part of me wonders if we'll be doing a bunch more of these 5m U21 player deals then, too.

Yup, the really frustrating thing is that if any side near the top has the balls to roll the dice and go out to make the necessary buys they will win the league, as everybody else will still be too busy tripping over themselves.

Sadly judging by Klopp's comments that doesn't look too likely to happen.