You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Lallana

SlugTrail

Lallana did very well when he came on but I think Klopp's tactical change the moment we pulled it back to 3-2 was the real difference.

The 4-3-3 with Milner and Ibe out wide was making very little inroads into the Norwich defence, and was also allowing Mbokani and Naismith to link with the Norwich midfield too easily. Instead of carrying the ball, we needed to move it quicker and have people making runs. Switching to a 4-2-3-1 cut off Norwich's attack from the midfield, eased the burden on our full backs, and pinned Norwich back to the point where they could only maintain possession when they had the ball in defence. We suddenly had Firmino, Lallana and Milner all making runs that Norwich were struggling to track. Lallana looks a much better player when he has that sort of time and space, and it poses problems for the opposition because no-one knows who should be picking up the runners.

I didn't notice Norwich pinned back too much. If you look at the 3rd and 4th goals it was very much a case of them pushing up and us exploiting the space and for the 4th the mistake obviously helped but again they had pushed way up and left tonnes of space.

I think we'd do alright as a counter attacking unit these days. Or at least better than the shit we see where we fail miserably to break teams down enough to create clear cut chances.

I didn't notice Norwich pinned back too much. If you look at the 3rd and 4th goals it was very much a case of them pushing up and us exploiting the space and for the 4th the mistake obviously helped but again they had pushed way up and left tonnes of space.

I think we'd do alright as a counter attacking unit these days. Or at least better than the shit we see where we fail miserably to break teams down enough to create clear cut chances.

Why in the fuck did they do this?

Lunacy.

Lallana did very well when he came on but I think Klopp's tactical change the moment we pulled it back to 3-2 was the real difference. 

The 4-3-3 with Milner and Ibe out wide was making very little inroads into the Norwich defence, and was also allowing Mbokani and Naismith to link with the Norwich midfield too easily. Instead of carrying the ball, we needed to move it quicker and have people making runs. Switching to a 4-2-3-1 cut off Norwich's attack from the midfield, eased the burden on our full backs, and pinned Norwich back to the point where they could only maintain possession when they had the ball in defence. We suddenly had Firmino, Lallana and Milner all making runs that Norwich were struggling to track. Lallana looks a much better player when he has that sort of time and space, and it poses problems for the opposition because no-one knows who should be picking up the runners.

That's how we should have started the match, making runs and trying to close down the Norwich defense, as per usual. Perhaps Klopp was trying to save the players from becoming to tired ahead of Stoke, or he was just trying to work out more effective ways of bringing the attack in to play? Either way it stretched out the team to much and made the defense look static and isolated.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread. I now see that some of you already made this point, or close to it.

'Pinned back' was probably the wrong choice of phrase in fairness. Perhaps it's more accurate to suggest our tactical change limited their passing options. Certainly they found it much harder to link their midfield and attack so had to try and use their full backs more. It left spaces because the centre backs have to push out much more when the full backs try to bomb on - they can't just drop deep because it puts the midfield in the shit. That worked well for us because instead of trying to attack from the wings, we could utilise the spaces being left by moving the ball quicker and making runs.

'Pinned back' was probably the wrong choice of phrase in fairness. Perhaps it's more accurate to suggest our tactical change limited their passing options. Certainly they found it much harder to link their midfield and attack so had to try and use their full backs more. It left spaces because the centre backs have to push out much more when the full backs try to bomb on - they can't just drop deep because it puts the midfield in the shit. That worked well for us because instead of trying to attack from the wings, we could utilise the spaces being left by moving the ball quicker and making runs.

Absolutely. I'd love to see if we could try and force the opposition to do this in upcoming games. At the moment we don't have the personnel available to play through teams. I'd rather see us try and be a bit more pragmatic and see if we can force teams to give us space to play with. On todays evidence we might get some joy.

Every time one of our shit players manages to actually produce something, a large section of our fambase cling to it like thats what hes capable of. Ignoring the numerous games theyve done fuck all.

Anyone that cant play well the majority of the time isnt good enough for LFC. I dont give a fuck if he scores overhead kicks from the half way line every now and again.

• Upvote 3

He's grown on me. Not as a player, but as a person. Never lets his head fall and works his socks off every time. Well done, Adam. *Pats head.* 

I'd rather he was a horrible cunt and scored goals and got assists consistently. Don't want too many nice guys. 

I still think we need to get rid in the summer because his output isn't good enough but at the moment we are a better side with him starting. He works hard and he helps us keep the ball. Ibe should never ever be starting ahead of him. They both rarely do anything tangible but Lallana is a much better footballer.

I still think we need to get rid in the summer because his output isn't good enough but at the moment we are a better side with him starting. He works hard and he helps us keep the ball. Ibe should never ever be starting ahead of him. They both rarely do anything tangible but Lallana is a much better footballer.

Ibe's offers more raw athleticism but unfortunately appears to be brain dead when it comes to football. I get real tired of him slowing down and dribbling too close to the opponent to be tackled which hopefully improves with technical development and coaching. That being said Lallana generally cruyff turns his way into a tackle so it's not like he doesn't do similar. I think Lallana being an impact sub off the bench with an odd start here and there is probably his best use at this level of football but I'm not sure if his wage makes that a cost effective role as I don't know what he's on.*

*We all know we overpaid so the less said about that the better.

• Upvote 1

Every time one of our shit players manages to actually produce something, a large section of our fambase cling to it like thats what hes capable of. Ignoring the numerous games theyve done fuck all.

Anyone that cant play well the majority of the time isnt good enough for LFC. I dont give a fuck if he scores overhead kicks from the half way line every now and again.

Exactly this.

I'd get rid of all of the current players eventually, not one is good enough.

But obviously you can't get rid of them in one one go. It would have to be over 2/3 seasons.

I'd probably cunt lallana off in the 2nd season of rebuilding.

This is wrong just like when fans have been criticising Milner in certain games, both do their job well but when we don't win fans want to criticise them for not winning the game by themselves.

If a player keeps the ball most times and links the play that is considered a good performance, watch any game and if a player does that the manager will be happy with them.Lallana and Milner do that regaurly aswell as dribbling past players and creating chances.

You don't have to be a genius to see that Lallana will be here for a long time to come, he's a very good player who covers atleast 4 positions and we wouldn't get a fee which would make it worth while selling him.

This is wrong just like when fans have been criticising Milner in certain games, both do their job well but when we don't win fans want to criticise them for not winning the game by themselves.

If a player keeps the ball most times and links the play that is considered a good performance, watch any game and if a player does that the manager will be happy with them.Lallana and Milner do that regaurly aswell as dribbling past players and creating chances.

You don't have to be a genius to see that Lallana will be here for a long time to come, he's a very good player who covers atleast 4 positions and we wouldn't get a fee which would make it worth while selling him.

Thats because Rodgers decided to spunk half the suarez fee on him, like all his signings we will never get our money back.

Thought Lallana did well when he came on. If he can see his way to doing it regularly that'd be grand. My take on his shot was that he deliberately hit it into the ground. It certainly looked that way.

He has already admitted to not hitting it properly/mishitting it so not sure that was his intention.