You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

For a manager who always favours 4-3-3 at start of a season

old skool tom

.......he's bloody hopeless!

Hope he returns to 3-4-2-1 or 4-4-2 diamond because we could actually do fucking well this season!

This 433 is we play at start of every season is slow,clueless,toothless and brain numbingly dull.

We've actually got the players to be a much more unpredictable and successfull team with last years three at the back system but for some reason Brendan doesn't see it that way and it'll probably cost him his job this season

Any tactical experts on here? Can u lot see main reason were so shit at this system and why others succeed?

• Upvote 1

Rodgers is like a mouse in a maze, hitting dead end after dead end, forever reversing so he can try a different passage. Of course when he eventually gets to the centre of the maze, he eats the nuts there with a big shit-eating grin on his face, and forgets all that time wasted going down blind alleys. Meanwhile the scientists running the experiment have resolved to dissect the mouse at the earliest opportunity to find out what's wrong with it.

• Upvote 13
  • Downvote 1

I do not want to see us play with a back 3 because it will again require us to shoehorn square pegs into round holes. We cannot keep spending shitloads every summer only for Rodgers to start faffing about because his default set-up simply does not work.

Gonna be very interesting to see what he does should Sturridge stay fit.

Surely he has to play his record signing and his best goalscorer.

4-4-2 diamond? But where does Firmino fit into that? Lallana? Ibe?

You look at our squad and the pieces just don't fit properly

• Upvote 1

If he'd actually buy players that fit the system he wants to play then it might actually work but every year he's completely clueless. I said it over the summer, "what formation is he buying these players to play in?" because if it's 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 we haven't got the players for play either. We haven't got the width for 4-3-3 unless Ibe starts every week and we haven't got the CM options for 4-2-3-1 as Milner and Henderson are not sitting midfielders.

It has to be a midfield diamond with Firmino off Benteke until Sturridge is fit and then he's got to leave someone out or the pieces just don't fit. It won't be easy to fit Sturridge, Benteke, Coutinho and Firmino into the same side. Firmino was another luxury signing when a top CM was more of a priority to balance the side.  

He packs the squad out with number 10's and then tries to play 4-3-3 and wonders why we can't break teams down and look so unbalanced, but he can't play a midfield two either because he's never strengthened the midfield properly. We haven't got a Fernandinho or Mascherano next to a Toure or an Alonso who can dominate  a midfield.

• Upvote 2

Rodgers is like a mouse in a maze, hitting dead end after dead end, forever reversing so he can try a different passage. Of course when he eventually gets to the centre of the maze, he eats the nuts there with a big shit-eating grin on his face, and forgets all that time wasted going down blind alleys. Meanwhile the scientists running the experiment have resolved to dissect the mouse at the earliest opportunity to find out what's wrong with it.

Disturbingly accurate.

I think Jairzinho and ritchie got it spot on. Our transfer dealings are completely devoid of any tactical logic. Rodgers has hinted countless times that he saw Coutinho as an eventual No. 10, but then he just goes on to buy players who are even less suited to the wide role than Coutinho is. I like Firmino and didn't even mind the signing of Lallana, but both of them are better in a central role and are instead being ditched outwide when we could actually have signed proper wingers in the first place. 

Same shit happened with Rodgers' obsession with playing Gerrard in the holding midfield role even though Rafa and the vast majority of us could clearly see Stevie was absolutely awful at tracking opposition players' runs. In the end, he ended up ruining the likes of Sahin and Shelvey by playing them in that attacking midfield position in order to accommodate Gerrard in the holding role, when both players would have been much better off in a deeper midfield role and Stevie in the attacking role.

It just strikes me as if Rodgers is just buying players for the sole reason that he likes them players, but with absolutely no planning as to whether they can fit together. The guy wouldn't even be successful on Football Manager nevermind in the real game. Just sheer tactical incompetence.

• Upvote 2

I think Jairzinho and ritchie got it spot on. Our transfer dealings are completely devoid of any tactical logic. Rodgers has hinted countless times that he saw Coutinho as an eventual No. 10, but then he just goes on to buy players who are even less suited to the wide role than Coutinho is. I like Firmino and didn't even mind the signing of Lallana, but both of them are better in a central role and are instead being ditched outwide when we could actually have signed proper wingers in the first place. 

Same shit happened with Rodgers' obsession with playing Gerrard in the holding midfield role even though Rafa and the vast majority of us could clearly see Stevie was absolutely awful at tracking opposition players' runs. In the end, he ended up ruining the likes of Sahin and Shelvey by playing them in that attacking midfield position in order to accommodate Gerrard in the holding role, when both players would have been much better off in a deeper midfield role and Stevie in the attacking role.

It just strikes me as if Rodgers is just buying players for the sole reason that he likes them players, but with absolutely no planning as to whether they can fit together. The guy wouldn't even be successful on Football Manager nevermind in the real game. Just sheer tactical incompetence.

This is dangerously, nay perilously, close to not backing the manager's project.

• Upvote 1

If he'd actually buy players that fit the system he wants to play then it might actually work but every year he's completely clueless. I said it over the summer, "what formation is he buying these players to play in?" because if it's 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 we haven't got the players for play either. We haven't got the width for 4-3-3 unless Ibe starts every week and we haven't got the CM options for 4-2-3-1 as Milner and Henderson are not sitting midfielders.

It has to be a midfield diamond with Firmino off Benteke until Sturridge is fit and then he's got to leave someone out or the pieces just don't fit. It won't be easy to fit Sturridge, Benteke, Coutinho and Firmino into the same side. Firmino was another luxury signing when a top CM was more of a priority to balance the side.  

He packs the squad out with number 10's and then tries to play 4-3-3 and wonders why we can't break teams down and look so unbalanced, but he can't play a midfield two either because he's never strengthened the midfield properly. We haven't got a Fernandinho or Mascherano next to a Toure or an Alonso who can dominate  a midfield.

Exactly. The squad is completely unbalanced. Four players for the role playing behind the striker, no width, no mobile DM, no dominant CB and a youngster out of position at LB.

£300m spent.

• Upvote 1

I'm running out of ways to call Rodgers a cunt but this thread has breathed fresh life back into me. 

Ha ha very true. 

In the end he's just not very good at his job. I think with each passing game it becomes more and more clear that his bright spell with us was all down to Suarez. I am no longer prepared to credit him anything for that. The way we set up against West Ham was as brainless as Lovren's attempt to play the ball that led to the 2nd goal (something Rodgers has no doubt encouraged him to do even after the fact). The change to 3 at the back and keeping Lucas on with Ings on the bench when we were 2-0 down also shows a near pathological inability to do the right thing. Many feared Benteke would flop as he wasn't suited to play in a 4-3-3 and would likely be asked to do so. 

I think he's actually a bit thick, or so obsessed with needing to get credit for all of our success that he does things in an unconventional way so it will be necessary to credit him for it rather than the players. 

He has a better future as a pundit than manager and I'm quite confident he'll never win anything of note with us or any other team he'll eventually "lead".