You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sakho exclusion difficult to understand (ESPN article)

tlw content

by Dave Usher for ESPN

Going into the season, Brendan Rodgers' selection of Dejan Lovren ahead of Mamadou Sakho in defence came under a lot of scrutiny from supporters and media alike.

So far, though, Liverpool's back four has delivered successive clean sheets as the Reds have taken maximum points, and the much-maligned Lovren has played his part with two solid performances. He has justified his manager's faith so far and, therefore, Sakho has no real cause for complaint.

The decision by Rodgers to opt for Kolo Toure on the substitutes' bench ahead of the popular French defender, however, is a different matter entirely. Sakho has every right to feel aggrieved and it must at least be considered that the manager wants to move him on.

When Sakho was omitted from the 18-man squad at Stoke on the opening weekend, some attributed it to him having missed a few days of training in the week prior due to the birth of his daughter. My question is, would Rodgers have overlooked Jordan Henderson, Martin Skrtel or James Milner for that reason?

Sakho wasn't involved because Rodgers did not select him, pure and simple. Further proof of him being out of favour came when he was snubbed again for Monday night's 1-0 win over Bournemouth at Anfield. Why would you not select Sakho on the bench at the very least, unless you are looking to offload him?

Read the full article here

Click here to view the article

Interesting article Dave. If things are you suggst, i.e. Sakho is fully fit, then the selction of Toure over him in last two match squads is completely puzzling. Clearly Sakho is well ahead of Kolo in the pecking order and IMO should be in the first 11 based off his performances in the latter part of last season.

However, none of us here see the players as often as Brendan. Has he seen something in the Lovren Skrtel partnership which suits the style of play he has in mind for this side? 

No matter what the reason is if Brendan doesnt get it right he will lose his job.

Has he seen something in the Lovren Skrtel partnership which suits the style of play he has in mind for this side?

That seems pretty clear - neither has crossed midfield this season or attempted to play a pass. They'll play back all season with Henderson screening them and we'll depend on Coutinho.

Keep it tight and try to nick one is the order of the day.

• Upvote 1

I've had a thought which might explain this - maybe he's not all that?

Even if he is overrated, surely he is still better than Kolo, and the money won't be enough to replace him adequately. Sakho makes our defence seem fierce. Kolo makes it seem like a clown convention.

• Upvote 1

If Milner, Henderson, or Skrtel had a baby just before a game and still wanted to play I don't think they would have been left out, they are starters though while Sakho would have been on the bench and it would have been very unlikely he would have come on as a sub.While it's possible he was dropped it's also possible BR gave him time off to be with his family knowing Sakho wouldn't be needed.

As for Bournmouth it looks like he was dropped but we don't know the reasons and I could easily speculate that his head is not right now after finding out he'll start behind Lovren and has clubs interested in him, everyone knows how he reacted to getting dropped before Everton a couple of seasons ago.Ive seen fans on twitter today criticising him for asking for a move rather then staying and fighting for his place so there must be stories going around about him wanting out.

Only BR and people at the top know what is really happening but if BR is trying to force him out I wouldn't have a problem with it as he must have a replacement lined up or thinks Illori or Gomez can step up if needed, I don't think Sakho has been good enough in a two consistently playing with Skrtel or Lovren.

Unfortunaltely my guess is it's a case of Sakho wanting to go somewhere where he's a starter, he left his boyhood club to play regularly so will have no issue leaving LFC.

If Milner, Henderson, or Skrtel had a baby just before a game and still wanted to play I don't think they would have been left out, they are starters though while Sakho would have been on the bench and it would have been very unlikely he would have come on as a sub.While it's possible he was dropped it's also possible BR gave him time off to be with his family knowing Sakho wouldn't be needed.

Sakho travelled with the team to Stoke. If it was a factor it was due to him missing training in the week before the match but even that seems a bit tenuous to me.

I wonder if one of FSG's conditions of his changes to backroom staff and personnel/continuing as manager was, if you can't shift those you don't want in the squad off the wage bill, you'll have to shift a high earner you don't want in the first team off the wage bill, or something similar.

Talk of loaning Lucas out is a bit ominous, if not in the least bit surprising.

Even if he is overrated, surely he is still better than Kolo, and the money won't be enough to replace him adequately. Sakho makes our defence seem fierce. Kolo makes it seem like a clown convention.

It's politics, isn't it? Rodgers might not want him. If so, this is a subtle way of nudging the player out and freeing up a space in the squad for someone he does want.

Sakho has hardly been innocent in all of this. His tantrum last season, the injuries and the errors he's made (despite what his rabid fans say there have been some).

I don't think there's much mystery in this at all. Rodgers doesn't rate him as highly as some fans. He pushed the boat out to sign him and chose Lovren over him before when both were fit.

I've no problem with a manager choosing who he thinks he can get better performances out of, after all, he's the one who will (or should) pay the price if it fails.

However, we do seem to have a habit of managers favouring questionable replacements for decent players, and then leaving their successors a worse squad, which is what really worries me; being left with a new manager, no Sakho, and a CB who's the equivalent of a child only a mother could love.

• Upvote 4

I've no problem with a manager choosing who he thinks he can get better performances out of, after all, he's the one who will (or should) pay the price if it fails.

Me neither, as long as this is actually the case.

Doesn't seem to be much point having a transfer committee if they buy players the managers doesn't want, and then doesn't play. Then the fucking kit man takes responsibility for the season.

I don't think there's much mystery in this at all. Rodgers doesn't rate him as highly as some fans. He pushed the boat out to sign him and chose Lovren over him before when both were fit.

However, we do seem to have a habit of managers favouring questionable replacements for decent players, and then leaving their successors a worse squad, which is what really worries me; being left with a new manager, no Sakho, and a CB who's the equivalent of a child only a mother could love.

Exactly the way I see , later in the season when the new manager comes in he will have lost a valuable player and will have to deal with Billy Smart

Even leaving aside the comparisons as to how good Sakho is, it's not as if we have loads of other players in that position to step in if Skrtel or Lovren (shudders) gets injured or when Toure inevitably starts spazzing out again.