You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Besiktas (A) - 26th Feb

Oh Buoy

I'd consider selling Sturridge and Stwrling this Summer. Not knee jerk, been pondering it the last month.

I think Sturridge will forever be hampered by injuries and Stwrling just hasn't quitw got that world class quality but his piece tag would attract world class money.

Get Dybala and Lacazette and someone else.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

People calling for Sterling to take the pen have never seen us play, nor Sterling shoot, of that there is no doubt.

Would you seriously have trusted any of the others?

Manquillo?

Moreno?

Skrtel?

Toure?

You could make a case for Skrtel or Toure I guess, given their experienced heads. Lovren is by far the best striker of the ball of those left (even if he's been shit for us), so I've no complaints about him stepping up. We could have played till tomorrow before Mig saved a pen anyway, biggest regret is us not taking the chances in the first half...

• Upvote 2

If Lallana scores that sitter in the first leg,we'd have been home and hosed. Poor pen but it's no disgrace as far better players have missed. The main argument is that he shouldn't have been anywhere near the first 5 takers. Ah well,a blessing in disguise I think and definitely hope!

You're right its on Rodgers , Pathetic use of subs and tactics. Plays two strikers and they play 30 yards from each other . We start getting battered and he waits till we concede to get a striker off and bolster the midfield, He lets Lovren take the critical last pen . All of this but its not a disaster. Its obvious we are not going to mount a successful campaign in the Europa and get top 4. There are injuries right left and centre and some of the players like Can are absolutely fucked. Ibe looks out of gas . We also have the FA cup which should be a priority now. .It was fucking horrible tonight but Thursday night football would have ensured we drew a blank on all fronts had it continued.  Get the lads home and try and put in a show on Sunday and come away with something . Hopefully a few of injuries will have cleared up for the City game 

I take the point and agree, to an extent. But at some point the sheer ludicrousness of striving to get into the Cl only in order to shit whatever chance we get there, or in the El, has to make players wonder what the point of European football actually is. I'm talking about our current players - I can't see what someone with aspirations of winning something would want to come here.

Rodgers is a failure in Europe, qed.

• Upvote 1

I'd consider selling Sturridge and Stwrling this Summer. Not knee jerk, been pondering it the last month.

I think Sturridge will forever be hampered by injuries and Stwrling just hasn't quitw got that world class quality but his piece tag would attract world class money.

Get Dybala and Lacazette and someone else.

Lambert, Borini and Balotelli should go. 

Sturridge and Sterling need better support and options around them. £23m for Lallana and he can't get on the pitch until 80 minutes with Coutinho out and the front three a complete waste of space. 

We might as well have not qualified for Europe this season, we didn't attract a single player as a result, and we've been humiliated.

One can only hope the experience stands players and manager in good stead.

We've been humiliated while the more experienced teams like Arsenal and City have shown us how it's done.

Besiktas are no mugs, our team didn't show up and they needed pens to win.

Sterling was a fucking disgrace tonight, he barely lifted a leg and Sturbridge wasn't much better, the greedy twat.

I feel a bit sorry for Lovren, he and the defence played well and he doesn't deserve to be the villain tonight.

I blame Rodgers for not making the change when we were well under the cosh, a goal was inevitable. Fuck knows what he was waiting for.

Ah well, top four and FA Cup please.

• Upvote 1

The 1st half was a very good European performance for me, and had Sturridge been anywhere near his game, we'd have put this to bed early on. In the 2nd half, we looked very tired, and when Sterling/Sturridge loses out in every duel, and Sturridge doesn't even bother tracking back, we're bound to come under pressure. Thought it was a decent defensive showing throughout, their goal was a result of great interplay and a wonderstrike, other than that we were pretty solid I thought. 

The big problem was that none of our attackers were anywhere near their best. If someone should be lambasted tonight, it's Sterling and Sturridge for me, not Rodgers. You simply cannot expect to go through in Europe with complete passengers lining up upfront. Balotelli wasn't great by any means, but he was miles better than the other two.

• Upvote 1

We might as well have not qualified for Europe this season, we didn't attract a single player as a result, and we've been humiliated.

One can only hope the experience stands players and manager in good stead.

The European money was wasted on shite like Lovren and the coaching saw us embarrassed for the majority of the 8 games. Now we're absolutely exhausted with fuck all to show for it but a good chance to win the FA Cup. 

If we want to do anything next season we need to be out of Europe so Rodgers can get back to his one game a week and avoid having to coach in Europe which he can't do.

Several questions...... W stands for WHY

WTF was Ibe, possibly the best thing to come out of this tenure, playing so far back

WTF was he taken off for a player who has been nothing but shit since we got him????? mankiniquelo.

WTF did Lovren take a penno when Raheem everybody rates him Sterling was on the field????

WTF did we lose to a team who were so very obviously there for the taking

WTF did we rest players who could have won that game easily?????

WTF wasnt Lallana on from the start instead of billy elliot

WTF does everyone think BR is a tactical genius. when he is a total fuckwit?

Apart from that

Nothing more to add.