You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

Just seemed like it needed to be more of a committee approach rather than him tying himself in knots by pulling in a million different directions and then just making a complete hash of one of the most iconic movie characters of all time.

Definitely, I can't believe they left such an important film, the make or break of the trilogy, in the hands of just one man, and a relatively inexperienced one at that.

"He's taken himself out of the fight, he's sitting on that island in exile. I know the Luke I grew up with is not a coward, he's not sitting out there hiding, so I had to come up with a reason he was there that was active and positive, and something I could genuinely believe I could think in his shoes," says Johnson. "And the thing that came to me that seemed to make sense to me is this notion that he seems this hero worship of him and of the Jedi that is detrimental to the galaxy. The universe has put its faith in its false god of the Jedi and they need to forget the religion so they can get back to god, that light can rise from a worthier source. And because he's the last Jedi and a symbol of that, it then becomes this self-sacrifice he has to do to take himself out of it when he knows his friends are dying, when he knows the thing he'd like to do is get back in the fight. He's taken the weight of the world on his shoulders by taking himself out of the equation so that the Jedi can die out. The end of the movie is him embracing the part of the past that the present needs, which right now is the legend of Luke Skywalker, they need something to believe in, they need that action figure of Luke Skywalker to grab on to, that inspiration to stare up at the stars and believe that you can be a hero."

"I wanted Luke's death to be peaceful, to be on his terms I wanted it to be a victory. I wanted it to be that he's done this huge grand act that has restored the spark of hope to the galaxy. I'm hesitant to put into words what he does in the end, but it is completed."

Wibble.

I didn't have any issues with the movie's portrayal of Luke, so I can't find a lot to disagree with in that Gordon-Levitt article. I always thought one of the purposes of art was to challenge the audience and to subvert their expectations. Job certainly done there.

Last Jedi Luke reminds me in many ways (and I'm surprised nobody else seems to have picked up on this) of Jesus in Martin Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ (another superb film). When you first encounter Jesus, he's walked away from the life he had - he's a carpenter making crucifixes for the Romans. He is filled with self-loathing and self-doubt. It takes a lot to shake him out of this, and for him to eventually come to terms with his destiny, to sacrifice himself to save everyone else, and to be the figurehead of hope that the world can believe in.

As Rian Johnson said in that Empire article, "I'm hesitant to put into words what he does in the end, but it is completed" - compare and contrast with Christ's last words in Temptation: "It is accomplished". Yeah, Luke is Space Jesus, no doubt about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He just stinks of being some hipster cunt who told everyone he was into Star Wars when he probably first watched it a couple of years ago whilst arsing about on his phone. He’s fucking clueless. Completely fucking clueless. The more time goes on the more baffling it is that this fucking stupid cunt was allowed anywhere near the film never mind writing and directing it.

• Downvote 1

Rian Johnson has just taken to Twitter to show something that's written in a book about a Jedi's ability to force project. I thought nothing but the films were canon?

Methinks he's trying too hard

It was also an ability shown in either The Clone Wars or Rebels also which are very much legit, as are some of the books.

Regardless, people need to get a grip. Grown fucking adults.

• 3 weeks later...

New one's a bit shit isn't it?

It's a disgwace.  The Force Awakens was far too generic and basically a nostalgic reboot of the OT, but at least it did a reasonable job of introducing some new characters who had interesting potential.

Rian Johnson has killed all of that due to his preoccupation with subverting expectations.  It was the movie equivalent of a fake handshake.

giphy.gif

Why did Rose stop Finn at the end? She could have killed them both and it'd have been almost as pointless as their little journey together that took up half the film.

I say "the end" but I feel like this film had about 4 different endings.

• Upvote 1

Another fake handshake.  "Ooh look, he's going to make the ultimate self-sacrifice by flying into the supadupa cannon thing.  Ohhhhh, no he's not".  

That would have given him an actual fucking point for even being in the film though.

And since when could Leia fly!?

So many questions.

That would have given him an actual fucking point for even being in the film though.

And since when could Leia fly!?

So many questions.

It's best not to think about TLJ too much, I find.  Why have shit slow bombers that get taken out with a few hits from a Tie Fighter?  How did the bombs fall from the bombers with no gravitational pull?  Why was Luke a whiny old tramp?  Etc. 

• Upvote 1

Wasn’t that excited about the Solo movie (still not massively excited like with the others) but the trailer looks pretty interesting.

Looking forward to seeing more Lando.

Weird it’s out in only three months also and the general public are only hearing about it now with this trailer release - obviously the focus up to now was TLJ so it makes sense I suppose.