You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

The prequels shit all over Disney Wars. Hands down. I've used "hands down", which is the new FACT.

Information brought to us by the Bothan spies indicates that this is wrong. But most importantly of all, the final stages of its wrongness are being completed under the supervision of The Emperor himself. Many Bothans died...to bring us this information.

Information brought to us by the Bothan spies indicates that this is wrong. But most importantly of all, the final stages of its wrongness are being completed under the supervision of The Emperor himself. Many Bothans died...to bring us this information.

To me they still add something to the Star Wars universe.  The dialogue was poor in parts.  The actors tried their best with it, even Hayden Christensen.  But they still add something, they bring parts of the universe to life, I enjoyed watching them - in particular Ep II (aside from the love story) and Ep III.  I didn't enjoy watching The Last Jedi, I wanted it to end.  I came away from it feeling empty, wondering why I hadn't enjoyed a Star Wars movie.  

• Upvote 1

Just skip it and go straight onto ROTS

1 hour 15 mins in.  So good.  So good!

Chase scene on Coruscant, all scenes on Kamino, landing pad fight between Obi-Wan and Jango on Kamino, asteroid belt Obi-Wan/Janjo shootout - all absolutely amazing.  And the dialogue, acting, love story.  Not as bad as I remember.  Okay, maybe the love story is, but it's necessary so what the hell.  And little touches of Lucas magic everywhere.  

I'd also say that the comedy in these movies fits in better than the Friends-style banter of Episodes VII/VIII.

All in all, it's just more Star Warsy from top to bottom.

I'll enjoy watching the rest in the morning over a bacon sandwich and OJ.  Return of the OJ.

• Upvote 1

I think AOTC is the best prequel. TPM is a poor, poor boring film and I found ROTS very underwhelming - Vadar’s turn didn’t justify the 3 film hype.

The whole Vader turn storyline was undermined from word go.

"I sense the boy is dangerous'

"The dark side I sense in him'

"I can't believe I killed Samuel L Jackson, I must turn myself in. No, go and kill some kids instead. Okay."

The immaculate conception storyline was horrific too. I actually thought Kylo Ren in TFA was what Anakin should have been like.

Ep II was interminable.

Ep III was better.

Ep I had by far the best duel.

My own rankings thus far would be:

1) ESB

2) ANH

3) Rogue One

4) ROTJ

5) TFA

6) ROTS

7) TPM

8) TLJ

9) AOTC

10) Han Solo film it'll be shite.

This is a complicated list.

For every positive step forward the new Start Wars film takes (for example, the saber scene with The Force siblings and Snoke and the classy use of The Force girl going into the dark cave like Luke did in Empire Strikes Back), it jumps back five with things like terrible scripting, hammy acting, primitive CGI, laughably unbelievable events and TV-style production.

I'm glad I saw it in the cinema as I didn't watch The Force Awakens in the cinema but I kind of wish I had done it the other way around.

I'm also curious to know if Ade Edmonson was in the film as one of the guys on the Star Destroyers really looked and sounded like him. 

This is a complicated list.

It looks shit yes in actual English:

1) The Empire Strikes Back

2) A New Hope

3) Rogue one

4) Return Of The Jedi

5) The Force Awakens

6) Revenge Of The Sith

7) The Phantom Menace

8) The Last Jedi

9) Attack Of The Clones

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Return Of The Jedi

Revenge Of The Sith

Attack Of The Clones

The Phantom Menace

That's it. I don't class the Disney films as Star Wars. They're corporate fan films and completely miss the mythology of it.

It's like people thinking post Season 11 Simpsons counts in ranking the Simpsons as a show.

• Upvote 2

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Return Of The Jedi

Revenge Of The Sith

Attack Of The Clones

The Phantom Menace

That's it. I don't class the Disney films as Star Wars. They're corporate fan films and completely miss the mythology of it.

It's like people thinking post Season 11 Simpsons counts in ranking the Simpsons as a show.

I've never really watched The Simpsons, what is wrong with it post season 11?

To say the prequels are good is completely fanciful. To say you enjoy them, that's another thing altogether. I like Masters of the Universe with Dolph Lundgren but it's not a good film; the same goes for the prequels. There's as much nonsense in Attack of the Clones as in Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith combined. It seems a viewpoint to take for the sake of being contrary or even to demonstrate that it shows a deeper understanding of these movies.

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Return Of The Jedi

Revenge Of The Sith

Attack Of The Clones

The Phantom Menace

Take a day off.

• Upvote 1

To say the prequels are good is completely fanciful. To say you enjoy them, that's another thing altogether. I like Masters of the Universe with Dolph Lundgren but it's not a good film; the same goes for the prequels. There's as much nonsense in Attack of the Clones as in Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith combined. It seems a viewpoint to take for the sake of being contrary or even to demonstrate that it shows a deeper understanding of these movies.

It's a matter of personal taste.  I don't think Clones is nonsense.  The action sequences are great and the plot makes sense.  It's certainly not a stance I take for the sake of being contrary; I've always liked them.  And I think they've aged very well.  I don't claim to have a deeper understanding of Star Wars. 

Star Wars for me is an almost exclusively cinematic experience.  I've read the Zahn trilogy, but I can barely remember what happens in it as I only read the books once and that was when they were released.  Beyond that I've played a few video games based on the original trilogy.  But as I say, my experience of Star Wars is wholly cinematic.  I have no knowledge of the Expanded Universe.

Is Dicko being contrary ranking Sith and Menace above The Last Jedi?  Of course not, it's just personal taste.

I'm happy for people who get more out of the new movies than I do.