You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

What was the milk bit about, Rey gave Luke a really funny look when he drank that milk?

Seemed completely bizarre to me that bit, was it just meant to be bizarre?

I think so, but is that not just like Bantha milk?

The tone of the film, by the way, was about as far from that established in the second half of TFA and Rogue 1 as possible.

At various points in TLJ I thought that half of the point of Rogue 1 was that heroes die to advance causes - but almost every punch in The Last Jedi was pulled. 

• Upvote 1

At various points in TLJ I thought that half of the point of Rogue 1 was that heroes die to advance causes - but almost every punch in The Last Jedi was pulled.

Did you miss one of the major characters dying/sacrificing themselves at the end to advance the cause and respark the rebellion?

I thought that was pretty evident personally?

Yeah the whole thing about Kylo and Snoke is that we’re always told about how the dark side apprentices will kill their master eventually to gain control and become even more powerful. It’s been mentioned so many times now.

The only time we have seen that in film before TLJ is with Vader and the Emperor - although Vader only killed his master for the sole goal of saving Luke from being fried.

So although some people have been up in arms about the scene it actually stacks up as to how it’s always been told.

Would have been nice to have had a bit more Snoke and his backstory but Snoke is obviously not crucial to how the end of the trilogy turns out

That actually reads like a Donald Trump interview. Snoke wasn't just some random villain, he was the architect of everything that happened in the intervening years, from the rise of the first order to the turning of Ren, to make out he just dispensed with him to accelerate a plot point is lazy and a bit shit.

Nowt wrong with what happened, but I suspect not explaining his back story - nor why Ren was so dissatisfied with the current arrangement beyond the couple of bollockings he'd received - strikes me more as that they couldn't be arsed thinking of anything.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That actually reads like a Donald Trump interview. Snoke wasn't just some random villain, he was the architect of everything that happened in the intervening years, from the rise of the first order to the turning of Ren, to make out he just dispensed with him to accelerate a plot point is lazy and a bit shit.

Nowt wrong with what happened, but I suspect not explaining his back story - nor why Ren was so dissatisfied with the current arrangement beyond the couple of bollockings he'd received - strikes me more as that they couldn't be arsed thinking of anything.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Surely that is the fault of TFA though? Basically it was the scrolling text at the start of the screen that told you 30 years had passed and about the First Order and the Resistance. Finn’s story could have shown more back story of how the new stormtroopers were created, adding a bit of heft to the new bad guys. Wouldn’t have needed too much.

I'm no SW aficionado but got to see the latest film the other day when the kids dragged me along, As a piece of cinema I thought it was the weakest so far.  Rebels running from the New Order, getting discovered , scarpering again whilst in the background Luke spends most of the film dithering about getting involved. Too long , weak plot and just a series of things shooting at other things.  

That’s exactly what he did so that they could get away?

Even Poe pointed that out in the film.

That ending was kind of triumphant rather than sad though, wasn't it? I don't think anyone comes away feeling devastated.

My point is that they pulled punches with Leia, Finn and Rose. The end was that character meeting his destiny.  Losing any of the others would have been a bigger blow. 

That ending was kind of triumphant rather than sad though, wasn't it? I don't think anyone comes away feeling devastated.

My point is that they pulled punches with Leia, Finn and Rose. The end was that character meeting his destiny. Losing any of the others would have been a bigger blow.

With Leia, Luke came back to help her on a couple of occasions first waking her up from her coma and then coming to their need at the end. I guess that was a big part in Lukes story returning to the Force and redeeming himself by saving the others.

If she would have died earlier then that changes and his reason for getting involved again would have been diminished. I can see why she didn’t die with that in mind, despite Carrie Fisher dying and I guess they’ll be a time shift in the next one and she has already passed away and the resistance has grown in numbers again.

The Finn bit I was surprised by. Thought that maybe they should have gone through with that one though.

You have to be concerned about the 9th movie after TLJ. I'm just not sure how they can rescue this trilogy now. It's a broken, steaming mess with a final battle between Rey and Ren seemingly the only option left for a story. No need for a 150 minute film, make it 80 minutes and you'll have more than enough to close this chapter.

You have to be concerned about the 9th movie after TLJ. I'm just not sure how they can rescue this trilogy now. It's a broken, steaming mess with a final battle between Rey and Ren seemingly the only option left for a story. No need for a 150 minute film, make it 80 minutes and you'll have more than enough to close this chapter.

The problem is that Rey has already beaten him twice. The story has absolutely nowhere to go

I went last night myself. The first third or so is poor. The acting feels really ham. Overall by the end I enjoyed it as an experience. It’s Star Wars at the end of the day and that’s what got it over the line for me enjoyment wise. I’d avoided everything so wasn’t aware of these laughable reviews of it being the best one ever etc. I really just don’t like the direction the story has gone in. They had so much good material, characters and ideas from the expanded universe and they’ve basically just ignored them. I was expecting them to retcon the expanded universe because it would have been ridiculous to try to fit around it. What they’ve done though is come up with a completely new storyline and characters which they give so little depth to and if you aren’t going to use the ready made ideas to base the films on then at least you should be coming up with something equally as interesting and they haven’t even come close.

The first film was clearly based on Harrison Ford saying I’ll do this film but only if you kill the character off so I never get asked a question about it ever again and oh, I’m refusing to work with Mark Hamill. This just feels like a bit of a hangover because they have no idea where they are going with the story.

Spot on.

They’ve made an absolute hash of the story which is my main problem with it.

The rebels/republic should be on the front foot. They’ve taken down the emperor and Vader yet you can now fit the size of the rebellion in the Falcon. It’s just makes the whole original trilogy pointless. They should have had various newly trained jedis some of who Luke was failing to control. The empire should be in pieces with various admirals running their own fleets trying to get its shit back together. Instead they’re just doing the same shit as before with another Emperor type figure who’s just filled the Emperors role with no storyline or intelligent back up into where the fuck he has come from. It feels like they’ve put some Zak Snyder style dickhead who hasn’t got a clue in charge of it.

I know they were probably hamstrung with demands from Ford about the first film but they could have done a lot better than they have. That’s not going into the various sub plot dead ends and nonsense they’ve added in the two films.

Yep. I think they fundamentally fucked up the plot. Where do they go now for the third film in this trilogy? Especially with Carrie Fisher no longer included.

The whole Skywalker saga is now over, but one film too soon. It’s set up well for opening the Star Wars universe up to new stories and characters, but there’s nothing left of the Anakin/Luke/Leia tale - unless there’s a ham-fisted twist and Rey really is Ben’s twin sister.

• Upvote 1

Just watched it in IMAX 3d. It's well shot. But...

Disney have made a fucking mess of the story and this has totally ruined it.

- still no idea who the fuck Snoke is/came from

- where's the Knights of Ren that were mentioned in TFA

- still no idea how Maz got Luke's lightsaber, and then it being so unimportant to Luke that Luke chucks it behind him.

- Phasma? What's the point?

- Del Toro character was shite. Actually the whole idea of leaving the scene of entrapment to go to some space Monte Carlo on the off chance they could get a hacker to help, who didn't in the end, was fucking nonsense.

- Yoda scene was cack. Basically still telling Luke off for looking to the future. But I thought Luke was now a Jedi Master? Clearly not judging by this scene.

Rey, Kylo and Poe are the films saving grace. Luke too except the Yoda scene.

Overall it's just bollocks. Better than TFA, but still bollocks.

Agreed.

Not since I realised there are far more important things to worry about and get pissed off over.

You’re so cool and chilled and mature about this stuff that you keep coming back to tell everyone their opinion is over the top. From what I can see, you’ve now posted your point (it’s kids stuff: calm down) about ten times. That’s not at all provocative when people clearly feel dramatically different about the whole thing to you, is it?

I fundamentally disagree with you that things have gotten better. Directors now substitute excessive camerawork for action and tension, plotlines move so fast that characters are paper thin cutouts, the humor is forced, rather than situational, the excessive use of CGI has ruined the feeling that you're watching something of human ingenuity, the music has gotten significantly worse. Everything feels artificial and nothing is patient enough to draw you in and tell a morality tale like the old films used to.

Completely agree. It’s a rare film that combines the old and the new brilliantly. That’s why I really love Winter Soldier. It gets narrative, characterisation, dialogue, mood and pacing absolutely spot on while simultaneously smashing it with its use of action and film-making techniques. Civil War is almost as good at those things too.

The rest of the Marvel movies range between OK and entertaining for me, but those two - and especially TWS - are cracking films.