You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

I watched it in 3D which turned out to be a mistake, the film looked dark and blurred in many parts. I'm going again today and will watch it in 2D.

Agree with this 100%

It was hard to read the place names and watch in 3D to be honest. I wouldn't habe watched 3D but i was going with someone else and it was the best time to make

Just got back and not read the thread since it came out. However, first impressions: really enjoyed it but not right up there - 8/10.

Need to see it again but there are a couple of negatives more in my mind than positives at this stage: the two returning CGI characters were shit (especially the second); and where were the Bothans? One of the most poignant lines in the entire Star Wars universe is rendered redundant now. Also James Earl Jones' voice has lost some of its resonance and richness with age.

Overall, good stuff though. Good characters, both main and minor, that were well cast and the settings were ace.

Just got back and not read the thread since it came out. However, first impressions: really enjoyed it but not right up there - 8/10.

Need to see it again but there are a couple of negatives more in my mind than positives at this stage: the two returning CGI characters were shit (especially the second); and where were the Bothans? One of the most poignant lines in the entire Star Wars universe is rendered redundant now. Also James Earl Jones' voice has lost some of its resonance and richness with age.

Overall, good stuff though. Good characters, both main and minor, that were well cast and the settings were ace.

The Bothans were probably getting ready to steal the plans for the Second Death Star in Return of the Jedi.

• Upvote 1

Brilliant, can't fault it. The final scenes in it had me so fired up I watched the opening scenes of A New Hope as soon as I got home.

Disagree with Paul on the CGI thing too, I thought that was remarkable and opens up a whole new world of possibilities for other movies.

A dead Peter Cushing still out acts the entire cast. A true legend of the screen.

As for the snobbery of the acting profession, it pisses me off too, but then I think back and many of my favourite acting performances of all time were from privately educated greats. Talent is talent, after all.

Still pissed with the modern day Eton/Oxbridge educated acting fraternity we currently have to endure, most of whom are not fit to lick the clinkers of the McGuinness, Cushing and Lee of the past.

Loved Rogue One, far superior to last year's Force Awakens. I thought Felicity Jones was terrific.

• Upvote 1

I think the CGI characters could be done better if they didnt linger to long on them, should just show them briefly or from behind, maybe walking around and not focusing so much on their faces.

Agreed. The technology broke the spell for me. I was locked into that world, especially as the sets and cinematography created a very gritty, realistic feel. Then seeing those two characters made me go, "Oh yeah - CGI".

Loved it - better than the Force Awakens for me.  Darth Vader was really disappointing for me:

The scene at the end was a bit too comical and pandering to light sabre fan boys. They just should have had him with stormtroopers like at the beginning of Star Wars - it looked like a bad video game. Tarkin was great, Princess Leia was a nice touch, but she was a bit too static for me - she would've been more dynamic seeing as she's in the frantic midst of an escape!

Other than that, great escapist stuff!

Loved it - better than the Force Awakens for me.  Darth Vader was really disappointing for me:

The scene at the end was a bit too comical and pandering to light sabre fan boys. They just should have had him with stormtroopers like at the beginning of Star Wars - it looked like a bad video game. Tarkin was great, Princess Leia was a nice touch, but she was a bit too static for me - she would've been more dynamic seeing as she's in the frantic midst of an escape!

Other than that, great escapist stuff!

I loved that Vader scene, it was darker/brutal then usual and he looked like a proper villain. 

• Upvote 1

No, tons of cgi scenes put me of for a while, some of the scenes in the new Hobbit film are terrible and i have to get into he movie again after a brief "confusion". I think that a huge deal with SW. eps 1.2.3 are because they are so shit at their CGI and everything looks fake, it also makes it worse that the dialogue is bad and some actors have nothing to work with. 

Saw this opening night, MUCH better than TFA, thought it needed the Star Wars fan fare tbh. The much talked about cgi as poor but good attempt. The end I don't like...

Doesn't fit with Vader dialogue from a new hope...

Darth Vader: [addressing the Tantive IV's captain, whom he is interrogating] Where are those transmissions you intercepted? WHAT have you DONE with those plans?

[holding Captain Antilles off the floor, the Captain's feet are dangling at Vader's knees]

Captain Antilles: We intercepted no transmissions...

[gasps]

Captain Antilles: ... This is a consular ship... We're on a -

[chokes]

Captain Antilles: diplomatic mission...

Darth Vader: [shouting] If this is a consular ship, WHERE is the ambassador?

[Antilles dies before he can answer, and Vader throws the man's body against the wall, narrowly missing 2 stormtroopers]

Darth Vader: Commander, tear this ship apart until you find those plans! And bring me all passengers, I want them ALIVE!

Shouldn't the tantive iv been on that mission to enlist the help of an old Jedi?

Good overall though.

I really dont get this cgi characters took me out the film. I loved the films and just took in the characters and didn't care. Feels like people just oicking holes in the film because thats what people do these days

That's not what I do ever. The reason you don't get it because you have a different opinion to me.

That's not what I do ever. The reason you don't get it because you have a different opinion to me.

Im not calling you out personally on it. Just talking in general terms. I feel people in general always want tobmoan about the big film releases these days. Everyone seems to want to be a critic

Loving every part of a movie but saying that two CGI characters were not executed good enough is hardly being a film critic. Never mind about that now, this movie is a must for every action sci-fi movie fans. Go to the cinema and enjoy the two and a half hour with some popcorn. 

• Upvote 1

Going to see this over the break with Mrs G and kids. Looks like a great family film. I'm a big Star Wars fan - not like some on here, mind (!) but I love the whole thing. I'm no expert whatsoever on the cgi stuff, but as a potential customer I have swerved various films in recent years because it is too overdone and I struggle to engage at that point. But I can't wait to see Rogue One. I'm glad for the recent reboot and potential for spin off films like this one. I've got a nice little bond going on with my lad at the moment, so I'm sure we'll discuss this at length over the school break.

• Upvote 2