You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If the unthinkable happened and Rodgers was sacked.....

Bjornebye

Especially when they have been licking his arse majority of the time he has been here. A foreign manager and they would have been calling for him to be sacked halfway through the first season.

Maybe thats it, he is surprised that they can turn so quickly.

Exactly.

He has had them eating out of the palm of his hand for a long while, now that the media are showing their true colours, and questioning him and his methods he is struggling to accept it.

The press have'nt even satrted yet either.......

Exactly.

He has had them eating out of the palm of his hand for a long while, now that the media are showing their true colours, and questioning him and his methods he is struggling to accept it.

The press have'nt even satrted yet either.......

You sound like you cant wait for them to 'start.'

• Upvote 1

You're giving him to much credit.

Even when he stumbles on something, he turns the rock back over and moves on.

Witness Kolo and Lucas after Madrid.

So if we, for arguments sake, accept that he has now "cracked it", with no out and out striker, what will you say tomorrow, if Balotelli Borini or Lambert starts ahead of say Markovic?

Rinse and repeat all the way through the side.

He has given himself NO base to work from this season.

Who is saying he's 'cracked it'? So I wont be saying tomorrow what if this, that or another striker starts.

Every manager changes formation, tactics and personel.

You sound like you cant wait for them to 'start.'

Not at all. Id rather see the team put together a run of wins, and the press run back under there rocks.

Its just past experience tells me that once they smell blood they usually go for the jugular.

If his name was Brendinho Rogerio they would have gone to town on him by now. Like posters have said above, the press tend to go easy on one of their own for as long as they can.

The press have'nt even satrted yet either.....

He has wisely and skilfully bought a lot of credits with the Press, Oliver Kay ran a full page in his defence today in The Times.

I have no problem with a bit of self confidence and arrogance, he is short on a track record, so belief is all and has already carried him further than I think he thought he would get.

The LC win has bought him vital breathing space, I hope he uses it well.

There were calls for his head in the first six months, he was also making similar comments last season and not getting criticised when he was saying things would be tougher for him because he had no playing history meaning people would jump on him quicker because of no proven history.

Hes right about the foreign comment anyway, Sam sets up defensively against Chelsea last season and is criticised for playing stone age football when mourinho done the same at anfield last year he was praised as some kind of tactical genius.

We are referring to the press. None of them were wanting him sacked at the point.

The only one who criticised Fat Sam for that game was Mourinho himself. If Fat Sam actually won something with his tactics then no one would give a shit.

• Upvote 2

A new contract with a release clause. Surely that gives it away. If the club weren't preparing for him to leave then they were idiots.

I think this was the case, what other explaination is there for failing so miserably to 'replace' him? Sanchez was a pure opportunist target for us once Barca came in for Suarez, having no other options after him proves that imo.

if we were looking at replacements that early it would have been all - 'Should we not have been trying to persuade Suarez to stay every day of the week, not giving up without a fight straight away and eg. tying up a Sanchez deal? '

Things might have changed at Barca. ok it didnt work but if the club gave up on him that easily they would have been pilloried.

He has wisely and skilfully bought a lot of credits with the Press, Oliver Kay ran a full page in his defence today in The Times.

I have no problem with a bit of self confidence and arrogance, he is short on a track record, so belief is all and has already carried him further than I think he thought he would get.

The LC win has bought him vital breathing space, I hope he uses it well.

Use it well depends on whether we get a result against the Arse tomorrow. Lose it and he will be pilloried. As for his less than amiable persona at the pressie then I daresay he had a massive bollocking from the owners. He's in that zone now where he will get scrutinised after every game . It rarely ends well

if we were looking at replacements that early it would have been all - 'Should we not have been trying to persuade Suarez to stay every day of the week, not giving up without a fight straight away and eg. tying up a Sanchez deal? '

Things might have changed at Barca. ok it didnt work but if the club gave up on him that easily they would have been pilloried.

I think the bite changed things, even Gerrard said before that he had a hope he would stay but after seeing that knew Suarez would engineer a move out.

The fight to keep him from the club seemed to go as they were sick of the bad press, if the bite hadn't have happened we would have got the full release clause.

As for having replacements lined up we had the money and were looking but there wasn't much talent around. Remy we went for but there was issues, Sanchez went to arsenal because they are more established then us at this point and always get cl, Falcao wasn't worth 20m or more for a season with his injury issues and although Eto would have been a good addition fans throwing hissy fits when we were linked probably killed it and made us go for Balotelli the big name fans wanted.

You can try and persuade Suarez to stay and look for potential replacements, doing both is just basic competence, Suarez leaving was always on the cards so why wouldn't you quietly look around and identify potential players to fill the void should he leave?

I think this was the case, what other explaination is there for failing so miserably to 'replace' him? Sanchez was a pure opportunist target for us once Barca came in for Suarez, having no other options after him proves that imo.

Either that egos got the better of them after last seasons performance. I remember there were people on here quoting stats of how we won more matches with Sturridge in the team  and that we needed to give Sturridge a chance and just buy a back up striker

Either that egos got the better of them after last seasons performance. I remember there were people on here quoting stats of how we won more matches with Sturridge in the team  and that we needed to give Sturridge a chance and just buy a back up striker

It's madness but there were quite a few fans that didn't seem to realise how massive Suarez was for us, we all talk some shit and get things wrong but Suarez? really? how could anyone not see it?

There were quite a few fans saying during last season that they wanted Suarez to go in the summer, how perverse was that? watching us tear teams apart in a way we haven't really seen before and then to think that, insane, they are the truly clueless fans amongst us and i hope they are happy now.

I cant think of any other top strikers that were available to us who we should have got, maybe Jackson Martinez but he is massively overpriced.

That's why we have scouts (at least that's the theory) fact is the club should have been preparing for Surarez's departure after his request to go to Arsenal. Most of us here felt it was inevitable, and given his importance it should have been an ongoing and top priority of the scouting dept.

Just like we should be looking for Sterling's replacement now.

• Upvote 3

I cant think of any other top strikers that were available to us who we should have got, maybe Jackson Martinez but he is massively overpriced.

So because you can't think of anyone that means there wasn't much talent around? there is always talent out there and it's upto the people at our club who are paid very well to identify and recruit that talent, they failed miserably as usual.

We are referring to the press. None of them were wanting him sacked at the point.

The only one who criticised Fat Sam for that game was Mourinho himself. If Fat Sam actually won something with his tactics then no one would give a shit.

Managers get praised when they're doing well and slated when they're doing poorly. It's as simple as that. 

Maybe foreign managers get more praise for 'tactical victories' but they also get far more shit when it goes wrong. Just ask Benitez or AVB, or even Wenger in recent years. So if Rodgers isn't happy that he wasn't given enough praise by the media for his tactical innovation against Bournemouth then he should be grateful he's had more of a free ride for the previous few months and his regular tactical disasters this season. 

• Upvote 2

That's why we have scouts (at least that's the theory) fact is the club should have been preparing for Surarez's departure after his request to go to Arsenal. Most of us here felt it was inevitable, and given his importance it should have been an ongoing and top priority of the scouting dept.

Just like we should be looking for Sterling's replacement now.

Nail on Fucking head.

As soon as Suarez made eyes at Arsenal,we should have been looking, sounding out agents. Etc.

But we sell him in July and then wait till the back end of august to address a position in which a great lump of the cash received should have been spent on.

Utter incompetence,  thats before you factor buying strikers who dont fit your system.

• Upvote 2

So because you can't think of anyone that means there wasn't much talent around? there is always talent out there and it's upto the people at our club who are paid very well to identify and recruit that talent, they failed miserably as usual.

Im talking about top proven strikers that were available to us, apart from the ones I mentioned I cant think of others and dont remember other suggestions coming from people on this site at the time.

As I said I agree we should have been prepared for his exit, we should have forced sanchez to come here like owen to newcastle but when that didnt come off there wasnt much available and it was a difficult market.

We should have atleast got a smaller name striker who had pace and runs the channels as backup.

Im talking about top proven strikers that were available to us, apart from the ones I mentioned I cant think of others and dont remember other suggestions coming from people on this site at the time.

As I said I agree we should have been prepared for his exit, we should have forced sanchez to come here like owen to newcastle but when that didnt come off there wasnt much available and it was a difficult market.

We should have atleast got a smaller name striker who had pace and runs the channels as backup.

You cant force someone to come who does'nt want to come.

Depending on the ambition of the player, first you have to provide evidence that you can consistently dine at the top table ( champions league/ League challenge),

Then you factor in wages and players who he will be playing with.

Then you need a manager who has the pull in world football or the ability to convince the player of his vision.

Sanchez went to Arsenal. End of story. People need to stop crying over spilt milk.