You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Middle East Thread

Red Phoenix

How much of that 1947 land do Palestine still have control of now?

Unfortunately for them, much less than they would have had they not tried to destroy Israel on multiple occasions. Wars have that tendency to redraw maps, don't they.

• Downvote 1

Unfortunately for them, much less than they would have had they not tried to destroy Israel on multiple occasions. Wars have that tendency to redraw maps, don't they.

Destroy a country with the backing of a world superpower with weapons light years behind theirs?

You are now saying that if Palestinians misbehave the punishment is to have land taken off them and being invaded. Shame this only works one way though.

• Upvote 1

I always find it interesting when SD wholeheartedly supports Netanyahu and his crimes against UN conventions and humanity. 

When the majority of Israel, including members of his own party, high ups in the Israeli security forces and most of the leaders of Israel's allies believe he is endangering Israel with his actions.

It's weird. 

I always find it interesting when SD wholeheartedly supports Netanyahu and his crimes against UN conventions and humanity.

Yes, I'd be interested to see that too, as I'm quite sure I've done no such thing.

Lying or just stupid?

There is a gulf between supporting liberty and democracy, which is something I'm happy to be associated with, and "wholeheartedly support[ing] Netanyahu and his crimes against UN conventions and humanity", which I'm quite sure I've never done. I'd like Jose Jones to support that claim, and while we're here, Zonkoville can explain why he's negged me for stating a fact too.

There is a gulf between supporting liberty and democracy, which is something I'm happy to be associated with, and "wholeheartedly support[ing] Netanyahu and his crimes against UN conventions and humanity", which I'm quite sure I've never done. I'd like Jose Jones to support that claim, and while we're here, Zonkoville can explain why he's negged me for stating a fact too.

See, any Israel or Middle East thread on here.

Don't see, any criticism from you about Israeli any actions.

Do see, posts from you belittling needless deaths and war crimes.

Don't see, any acknowledgement or even entertainment of the thought that recent Israeli aggression, primarily carried out under Netanyahu rule, might be bad for Israel in the long run.

So absence of criticism is now the same thing as wholehearted support?

You learn something new every day.

Don't recall belittling needless deaths and/or war crimes either, but doubtless someone will pull up a joke from six years ago or something as "evidence".

As a general rule I now try to avoid these threads, if I'd done that from the start I'd have a rep score of about 2,000 and be much happier as a result. As you can see, even the most modest explication of reality can get a person negged to buggery.

The people of Israel are fucking idiots, the most retarded 'democratic' nation in the world.

Please start an embargo and isolate this country from the world, because that's what it deserves.

Signed,

An (ashamed) Israeli.

• Upvote 3

The people of Israel are fucking idiots, the most retarded 'democratic' nation in the world.

Please start an embargo and isolate this country from the world, because that's what it deserves.

Signed,

An (ashamed) Israeli.

One for you today brother. Might hit some of the right spots:

Who the hell made you the boss?

We placed our chips in all the right spots

But still lost

Any shithead who had ever walked

Could take the ship and do a much finer job

This fit like clothes made out of wasps

Aw, fuck it I guess I lost

Israel votes for violence, oppression and murder?  Who'd have thunk it?

Likud got 23%, the same proportion of votes as the Lib Dems did in our last election. Perspective.

Still, it could be worse, 44% of Israelis could have voted for Hamas.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Likud got 23%, the same proportion of votes as the Lib Dems did in our last election. Perspective.

Still, it could be worse, 44% of Israelis could have voted for Hamas.

This is a prime example of your bias. There was absolutely no need to have a dig at the Palestinians. It wasn't relevant in any way. What Israeli's do or don't do isn't judged against what Palestinians do or did almost a decade ago, partly out of desperation of their enforced situation.
  • Upvote 3

I reserve the right to make a joke every once in a while, especially (ironically) at the expense of another poster who really is demonstrating gross bias.

And you know what, maybe you should judge what one set of people do against what another set of people do more often. People are people.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I reserve the right to make a joke every once in a while, especially (ironically) at the expense of another poster who really is demonstrating gross bias.

And you know what, maybe you should judge what one set of people do against what another set of people do more often. People are people.

I didn't read it as a joke, to be honest.

As for judging against others. I think it's fair to judge things in context and objectively against reasonable expectation. For example, you can't expect people who are poor, terrorised, and under siege to act the same way as those who who are rich, secure, and free. You can't expect the same expression and practice of democratic principles in all scenarios. That's why democratic freedoms in this country were suspended when we were under siege. The rise of certain types of politics comes from circumstances.

• Upvote 1

Judging the actions of the oppressor and the oppressed against each other doesn't seem particularly fair.

Describing one side as oppressor and the other as oppressed isn't exactly taking a neutral stance, is it.

I didn't read it as a joke, to be honest.

I compare Likud to the Lib Dems, and you don't think I'm joking? Strewth.

As for judging against others. I think it's fair to judge things in context and objectively against reasonable expectation. For example, you can't expect people who are poor, terrorised, and under siege to act the same way as those who who are rich, secure, and free.

Rich and free I'll give you - they are living in a capitalist democracy after all - but there are clearly a very great number of Israelis who feel anything but secure (I wonder why...) which is why they vote for people like Netanyahu.

Not the objective. Irrelevant.

How amusing. Fairness underpins my very being.