You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Celtic / Neil Lennon

Bjornebye

There's no reason, relatively speaking, why Celtic or Rangers shouldn't be dripping in cash and positioning themselves as regular group stage qualifiers for the champions league.

There's absolutely no shame in them restructuring their clubs and following the blueprints of the likes of Sevilla and Villareal with the added bonus of them not having to compete with the Valencia's, Barcelona's, Atletico's and Real Madrids.

With a good scouting system they could be hoovering up players from all over Europe developing them and selling them on to the cash rich mid table Premier League clubs and beyond (Wanyama signed for 900k sold for 12 mill as an example) instead of signing up average players with no potential who are good enough for the short sighted aims each season. The same with managers to an extent.

There's no reason, relatively speaking, why Celtic or Rangers shouldn't be dripping in cash and positioning themselves as regular group stage qualifiers for the champions league.

There's absolutely no shame in them restructuring their clubs and following the blueprints of the likes of Sevilla and Villareal with the added bonus of them not having to compete with the Valencia's, Barcelona's, Atletico's and Real Madrids.

With a good scouting system they could be hoovering up players from all over Europe developing them and selling them on to the cash rich mid table Premier League clubs and beyond (Wanyama signed for 900k sold for 12 mill as an example) instead of signing up average players with no potential who are good enough for the short sighted aims each season. The same with managers to an extent.

I've been saying that for a few years now. What a stage to kick off your career, particularly if you play a few old firms. Anything after one of them would be a doddle. 

The youth drug culture, lazy parenting and playstations are massively to blame for the decline. When I was a kid you would be playing football for hours, now even in summer you would barely see a kid kicking a ball.

I agree, when I was young, id be out on quiet streets or park until it got dark, but that doesn't happen anymore, i reckon its more fear that parents want the kids in, fear of them getting snatched.

Lack of facilities also, there is an area next to Glasgow Airport, must be 10 - 12 decent sized pitches. What do they do in the summer?...Remove the goalposts entirely. Fucking eedjits.

• Upvote 1

I agree, when I was young, id be out on quiet streets or park until it got dark, but that doesn't happen anymore, i reckon its more fear that parents want the kids in, fear of them getting snatched.

Lack of facilities also, there is an area next to Glasgow Airport, must be 10 - 12 decent sized pitches. What do they do in the summer?...Remove the goalposts entirely. Fucking eedjits.

Tried turning up to play on them one afternoon when I was a teenager with a handful of pals. Told to get lost by the groundskeeper - apparently they weren't to be played on except on a Saturday for the structured clubs. Draw your own conclusions.

• Upvote 1

Tried turning up to play on them one afternoon when I was a teenager with a handful of pals. Told to get lost by the groundskeeper - apparently they weren't to be played on except on a Saturday for the structured clubs. Draw your own conclusions.

Same happened to me when I went for a little kick about on the Nou Camp, no wonder they'll never be successful as a club

St Patricks would be relegated in the SPL. Plain and simple. 

Wanyama didn't look like Yaya Toure up there. Of course he looked better though because the EPL is a far better league. 

I'm not saying the standard is close to english football, Celtic apart most teams are league 1 standard, maybe a few lower championship but to compare it to the irish league is ridiculous. 

Pats are a league one standard.

Setanta sports ruined the spl they paid big money for the t.v rights then went bust / couldn't afford to pay what they promised a few years back. Celtic and Rangers and even Hearts went out and bought a lot of players on good money relying on that money that (along with miss management at board level) is why 2 of those clubs are now struggling to exist. The Scottish F.a really need to come up with something soon otherwise to many big (ish) Scottish clubs will fold They need someone who can boost the profile of the game and bring in sponsors (Barry Hearn type, look what he did for snooker and darts). As for Neil Lennon anyone on here who's played football manager could win what he's won in that league he'd struggle badly in the Championship here poor tactician in my opinion, People will mention Barca at Celtic park ect.. But I felt that was the fans who pulled them over the line in those games as much as Lennon on another night Barca could / should have scored 6 same as Ac Milan the previous season.

Setanta sports ruined the spl they paid big money for the t.v rights then went bust / couldn't afford to pay what they promised a few years back. Celtic and Rangers and even Hearts went out and bought a lot of players on good money relying on that money that (along with miss management at board level) is why 2 of those clubs are now struggling to exist. The Scottish F.a really need to come up with something soon otherwise to many big (ish) Scottish clubs will fold They need someone who can boost the profile of the game and bring in sponsors (Barry Hearn type, look what he did for snooker and darts). As for Neil Lennon anyone on here who's played football manager could win what he's one in that league he'd struggle badly in the Championship here poor tactician in my opinion, People will mention Barca at Celtic park ect.. But I felt that was the fans who pulled them over the line in those games as much as Lennon on another night Barca could / should have scored 6 same as Ac Milan the previous season.

Wouldn't go as far as to say he would struggle. He was tactically a very good player and I watch Celtic, trust me he isn't bad at all. Celtic nearly got a result at the Nou Camp the year they beat Barca as well. Look at the squad compared to the teams he has got results againt. 

The SPL is a damp squid without the other lot. Fucking pointless every year until they return, thats not Celtic or Lennon's fault. TV money has still been pumped in even without an old firm which I think has saved it. 

Not saying it should happen as it would ruin the league but if the old firm joined the english league (even starting in league 1) they would both be premier league title challengers within 6/7 years. They are far too big for scottish football which is a shame. 

Lennon will do fine. he has put up with all sorts of shit from fucking bigots since he has been there and deserves to be acknowledged for that. Not many people would carry on if a bomb and bullets are sent to your house or getting attacked on the touchline. 

No one should have to put up with what he had to (with the bullets and bomb incidents) and maybe that along with the poor league played a big part in him deciding to call it a day up there,(I forgot about Barca away) I still don't think he's a premier league manager certainly not on a regular basis maybe if he got the right club at championship level a sleeping giant so to speak who have had a lean few years and maybe have a few quid to spend he could make promotion but I just couldn't see him keeping that club up maybe I'm wrong (its happened before- not often tho ;) ) He might thrive in a more competitive league.

They really shoulda just picked a random season ticket holder and let him manage the team.

They were always going to appoint a real manager as they need to maintain the facade that Scottish football is of a reasonable standard. The sight of some random skaghead steering the team to treble glory would surely cause the entire edifice to crumble.

• Upvote 1