You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spite

Section_31

I think historically, Liverpool have never really been in City's radar (and vice versa) simply because they've been a country mile apart on the football front.

I think the usual 'scousers v mancs' raises it head now and then, but not a lot of venom in it.

Now though, the league is between City and Liverpool (in all likelihood) and so one set of fans is going to be over the moon and the other set seriously upset. That's always going to be recipe for aggression.

I do know a fair few morons who support City and just 'hate' scousers. They tend to be the same set of morons who hate Leeds, or United, or anybody they choose after a few too many beers. Most of them also 'claim' to be former season ticket holders back in the old Maine Road days... I've heard it all before. Their saggy arses and overly worn remote controls tell me they've not been to a match in years. Every club's got 'em. We're no exception.

You can spot these lads a mile off.... if you talk about your own team, they haven't much to say, but the moment you mention a rival, they have bucket loads of utter crap comments and myths about them. It's almost like they decided to support a team ONLY in order to have a pop at every other club.

• Upvote 1

People from Nottingham absolutely hate Liverpool and there is an attitude amongst people I know that's "anyone but Liverpool". I went onto a Forest forum recently and found this:

http://www.forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27791&start=1

I live in Nottingham now, have done for nearly 20 years and you're right. My boss is a big Forest fan who still holds differing opinions to me on lots of subjects, football related.

Anyway, screw them all, great season, and it's not over yet.

I go on others forums quite a bit. Everyone hates us. Reading the comments about rivalry with City, Spurs etc is not the way I see it. We all hate United more than anyone and that's about it. Yeah Chelsea are a gang of cunts and every other club has got a reason to be disliked but you don't hear songs at Anfield about Brummies, Geordies etc like you do at these clubs even when they come to town. These aren't rivalries we've created or are really involved in other than around a match day with them but if you read the forums it's scouser this and scouser that. I've written about it on here before. It's not a club thing it's a city thing.

It's the new racism. It's not socially acceptable to have a go at people based on their skin colour any more but it is acceptable to say exactly the same things just based on where people are born though so idiots will do that instead.

• Upvote 4

I go on others forums quite a bit. Everyone hates us. Reading the comments about rivalry with City, Spurs etc is not the way I see it. We all hate United more than anyone and that's about it. Yeah Chelsea are a gang of cunts and every other club has got a reason to be disliked but you don't hear songs at Anfield about Brummies, Geordies etc like you do at these clubs even when they come to town. These aren't rivalries we've created or are really involved in other than around a match day with them but if you read the forums it's scouser this and scouser that. I've written about it on here before. It's not a club thing it's a city thing.

It's the new racism. It's not socially acceptable to have a go at people based on their skin colour any more but it is acceptable to say exactly the same things just based on where people are born though so idiots will do that instead.

I have a gander on other forums too. Weirdly we get the most respect from United fans. They really like Rodgers and our style of football. Seen positive feedback from Sunderland's, and that's mostly because of Hendo and Migno.

Nottingham   fellas are cunts to a man.

I once knew one.

Annoying toothless old crone, but had an amusing accent and said something almost-funny, occasionally.

He also drove a National Express bus.

But even he couldn't have parked it as effectively as Reg "Jose" Varney did at Anfield last Sunday.

Nottingham Forest hate us because we competed with them for titles & european cups albeit briefly

There's also Brian Clough, we hate him, he hated us and is like Bill Shankly to them

The John Aldridge/Laws thing

Hillsborough, from what I can gather theyve never been the most sympathetic club, obviously including their best ever manager

If they weren't so irrelavent We would hate them back

Did we hate Clough prior to Hillsborough ? I know he was a gobby bastard but I thought he had a grudging respect for us? Even told his son Nigel to sign for us. I read his autobiography and he blames our fans and when asked to apologise by the mayor of Liverpool to apologise he said "he should be more interested in getting half of Liverpool back to work". Coming from Middlesborough, that 100 percent employment utopia.

He seemed to become more of a tit the older he got, especially twatting pitch invaders.

to be honest I don't even remember him as a manager but just assumed he always hated us, although he made a tenuous apology (provably told to) in a magazine about 10 years later

He was consumed by his own arrogance (and booze) . Great young manager at Derby and really shook up the establishment . Not quite sure how much of the hard work was done by Peter Taylor but it was sad to see him descend into a parody of the man he was.

I've found most neutrals have backed us, whether it's because we play attractive football, or because we are now the underdogs, or a combination of factors, I don't know. I've also noticed a definite backlash against MU, with most non MU fans wanting to see them 'knocked off the perch'. MU fans response to this seems to be along the lines of 'if you think were arrogant just wait til them cunts win something'. It would be interesting to know how low a league position MU fans would hypothetically trade for us not winning the league, I reckon a fair few would prefer LFC 2nd and MU relegated to LFC first and MU second.

I'd also say that the majority of neutrals hate MU more than they hate us, and because MU have always measured their success not in terms of trophies won, but by comparison to Liverpools downfall, neutrals don't see MU's failure as complete without Liverpool's comparative success. The mancs can only lame themselves for this backlash, it's no secret that they have always seen the most important competion, as not the league or even Europe, but the 'we finished above the scousers' cup. I have no doubt that this prevelant small time attitude played a massive part in fergusons naming of Moyes as his successor.