You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

I mentioned this earlier on in the window.  I think it will take us a few seasons of being back in it before the Torres' of this world start signing for us again.  That's if we can achieve that.  Players like Reus will dismiss us out of hand at the moment I think.  I'd convinced myself we would get that type of player once we got back in but that's not the case.  We've just made ourselves the front runner when competing with Spurs for players.

You can't blame them either.  A lot of these top players won't be spending their time watching MOTD every week etc.  We may just be a flash in the pan in terms of league position etc.  I obviously don't think we are but until we are in the knockout stages of the CL and rattling some of the big guns again these type of players won't pay us any attention.

Money talks above everything else. They wont pay us any attention at all unless we are offering big bucks.

It doesnt help that Monaco, PSG, Chelsea and City have parked top class players on their bench.

They will never get that. But that might not stop teams inquiring if they will take less.

His agent who is also his brother seems to be making noises about no contact from Barcelona, so therefore inviting that, but also then alerting others. 80m is way too much though.

The Guardian:

"Liverpool have completed their seventh signing of the summer after landing Javier Manquillo on an unusual two-year loan from Atlético Madrid. The 20-year-old defender underwent a medical on Merseyside earlier this week and has finalised a transfer from the Spanish champions that may allow Liverpool to make the deal permanent, for a fee of around £5m, should he settle in English football. Atlético can break the loan arrangement and recall Manquillo for a fee next summer while Liverpool have an option to buy the player outright in 2016."

If he has a decent season, we'll lose him next summer?

Does that mean if he has a good year they have to pay us to take him back to Atletico? but after the second year regardless of whether he goes back to Atletico or stays with us we can buy him for a fee?

Heres an easier explanation -

300px-Irish_600kg_euro_chap_2009.JPG

"He's ours"

tug%20of%20war.jpg

"No he's ours"

Manquillo

manquillo.jpg

"Nooooooooooooooo"

His agent who is also his brother seems to be making noises about no contact from Barcelona, so therefore inviting that, but also then alerting others. 80m is way too much though.

No doubt. 24 goals in 44 apps last year for Napoli...might be worth a look. But in no way shape or form should we bid anywhere near 80mil, as you've indicated. 

I'm mostly pleased with all our transfers this summer, it's a weird one this year tho. All the signings so far have been good and positive, however if we don't buy a world class attacker it's going to seem like a disappointing window. It's that finely balanced.

I am willing to bet most lads are not asked with the history of most women. If we did sit and think who has been there, well. Anyway if Carlton Cole has slept with over 1000 women there is a high chance that someone reading this thread has had his sloppy seconds even you El.

Me and C-Diddy are bang bros. We routinely go on the piss around that London finger cuffing pissed up tarts, big mamma's is how we role. Occasionally we let Dwight Yorke join us but he makes us look bad and poor Carlton ends up in the corner wanking by himself, born water carrier that lad.

• Upvote 2

Story on the express site that Higuain has a transfer fee clause of £80m.

That can't be right, they also reckon us and Arsenal are after him.

At that price they can frigging have him.

I wouldn't even want us to buy him at a 3rd of that price.

Offer to take him on loan for a year and we'll pay that price after, honest.

Bizarre transfer all around. If he's shit, we pay his wages for 2 years and then Atletico take him back. If he's good, we get a bit of money for developing him and then Atletico take him back.

What's his role going to be here? Have we signed a 20 year old with virtually no experience of first team football that Atletico don't seem to rate very highly to be our first choice right back? Is he here to add depth to a position in which we already have 3 senior first team players? Is he another highly rated prospect at right back, to go along with McLaughlin and Randall?

I'd like to see a youtube video before jumping to conclusions, and not just any one, it has to be at least 3 minutes long and have terrible music, at least a third of which is just upclose footage of him running with his name at the bottom, and the rest is 18 replays of a goal he scored once, with some misplaced passes also bizarrely included.

• Upvote 6

I see some quotes are floating around today that Ilori says he wants to stay and earn his place.

I for one would be more than happy with him as fourth choice CB.  After watching him for Granada last season against Barca I'm pretty excited about his potential.  The problem is that we'd have to clear out an awful lot of players ahead of him for there to be a space.  I assume Coates is on his way, but Agger and probably Toure would need to leave as well.

I suppose Toure could stay as 5th choice, especially if Rodgers does want to experiment a bit with 3 at the back, but otherwise I'd be happy to see Lovren/Skrtel/Sakho rotating and then Ilori as injury cover behind them.

Don't see anything wrong with the manquillo deal...we're getting a player on loan for 2 years which we will have paid a loan fee for, they have the option to break the loan after 1 year and reimburse us part of the fee, if we keep him for the second year we then have right to buy.

Just like any other 1 year loan deal followed by a 1 year loan deal with the option to buy, what's the problem?