You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Inter are about to sign M'Vila, Casemiro & Dodo, we're about to sign Bertrand, Lovren & Matt Jarvis or something. And we're playing in the Champions League. And our best player is leaving us. I'm gonna moan as fuck:D

We haven't been linked with Matt Jarvis at all.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps they went for players who wanted Premier League football, but weren't chased by higher teams for a variety of reasons.

It just seems odd that last year Spurs DoF got a lot of credit for swaying the likes of Lamela, which indicated that he was highly saught after, yet when we have targets eager to come here, like Salah and Kono, we struggle to get the deals over the line.

Mate, this summer, we could well be signing Markovic, Origi and Lovren. They would be on par with Spurs signings last summer.

We need a higher level of signing which means that we will be competing with at least one CL club. Thats where the problem lies.

Mate, this summer, we could well be signing Markovic, Origi and Lovren. They would be on par with Spurs signings last summer.

We need a higher level of signing which means that we will be competing with at least one CL club. Thats where the problem lies.

Markovic is bordeline world-class, Lovren is fucking average, Origi is a very exciting player. The problem is we need immense players NOW, and there are no available ones now, except Sanchez, who prefers arsenal.

• Upvote 2

I see your point, but when the road was clear of CL clubs, as it was with Salah and Kono, we couldn't finalise the deals.

I guess, like many, I swallowed the line that getting back into the CL would mean we were likely to bring in a higher calibre of player. Thus far it's looking debateable.

I've got confidence in Rodgers though.

every time we have finished 2nd we hve been shocking the next year our transfer deals have been average to be kind lallana has no cl experience can is hardly world class lambert is a squad filler we need 3 world class players and they stillhavent arrived

I don't think we would take half the price of Aspas in only a year? Where do they say they got this figure? They could have pulled it right out of their arszes, as they always do.

Well given the fact he looks like he's been on hunger strike and went a whole league season without shoring a goal I think we'd do well do get half.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps they went for players who wanted Premier League football, but weren't chased by higher teams for a variety of reasons.

It just seems odd that last year Spurs DoF got a lot of credit for swaying the likes of Lamela, which indicated that he was highly saught after, yet when we have targets eager to come here, like Salah and Kono, we struggle to get the deals over the line.

There's a reason teams like Manchester city were able to buy world class players when they were nowhere. For me that tells you everything you need to know about the importance of champions league football for a year or two. Suarez left CL to join us without it. Spurs weren't quite at the level of spending City were, but they put enough money on the table for their clubs to say yes and more money in wages than anyone else. As soon as there was more wages on the table (Willian) they lost the player.

I walked past Aspas on my way to work when he'd just signed and was staying at a hotel. He was waiting to be picked up for training with pacheco and Alberto. He just looked weak and fragile with bones sticking out everywhere under his t shirt. Even compared to pacheco. Fuck knows how we signed him. You would have taken one look at him and sent him straight back to Spain.

There's a reason teams like Manchester city were able to buy world class players when they were nowhere. For me that tells you everything you need to know about the importance of champions league football for a year or two. Suarez left CL to join us without it. Spurs weren't quite at the level of spending City were, but they put enough money on the table for their clubs to say yes and more money in wages than anyone else. As soon as there was more wages on the table (Willian) they lost the player.

See, I'm not convinced money was the dominant factor. I think it's important, but I also think all of those players moved because they were convinced of some kind of footballing project. Both City and Spurs sold themselves to players on the idea that they were going to break the top four and win things. There were even stories last year that one Spurs transfer - I think it was Lamela - hinged on other quality signings arriving first.

From that Di Marzio fella. Lucas going on loan?

Napoli are focusing their attention on the midfield. After that the Gonalons deal collaped, now they are negotiating Lucas Leiva. They like the Liverpool’s midfielder a lot, Reds have opened to his depature. Livepool are willing to accept the formula of the loan, as requested by Napoli, because the Brazilian didn’t play a lot last season because of injuries. Napoli target Lucas Leiva, there are the premises to start a negotiation. There will be updates in the next weeks.