You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

11 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

What kind of signing? A final destination you mean? 

Yeah, to a large degree if I have the same I understanding of that term as you. It bucked the trend in terms of age profile and the size of the club he arrived from and he’ll likely finish his career with us. 

In a way though, players who don’t see us as a final destination have generally been better for us. It’s often the difference between Luis Suarez and Adam Lallana. 

Still, I think it’s a bit of a red herring at the moment. We don’t have huge problems keeping our best players in their best years. And they’ve won everything they can win with us.. That will probably all change post-Klopp. 

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

The situation we have found ourselves in with Salah (and Mane before he left for pittance) is awful. It's borderline amateurish.

The concept that one of the best players in the world (who carries a personality of unrelenting self-belief and a justified high self-worth) was going to "blink first" in the contract stand-off is laughable. You're not negotiating with Jordan Henderson. 

If you were 20K-30K apart in negotiations, then fair enough, maybe let it drag out. But what's evident is that we are nowhere near close on valuations, and as such have snookered ourself. It's justifiable for the club to decide not to break their wage structure to spend 300k p/w on him (justifiable...but I think many on argue on here as being myopic) but then why the fuck not just be brave with that stance and put him on the market this summer? If the club think they're clever enough to replace him with somebody who wants 150Kpw, then back yourself.

He will end up going to PSG, Real, Bayern or City. If you think he won't go to City then you're bilnkered. They will all offer attractive money, so it will be about the project. Bayern will entice him with Mane link up; Real will entice him with CL and La Liga promises; PSG will entice him with Mbappe and co; City will entice him with Pep and Haaland.

You either sell him or you pay him what he wants. Anything else and you are taking a massive L. Quite literally your biggest asset walking out of the door for free can never be spun as a good thing.

Lionel Messi says hello.

7 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Oh really, where have I made that argument then? The only thing that isn't nuanced is your reading comprehension. To quote my original post:

On your initial paragraph, whilst we're rating the difficulty of replacing him, is it easier to replace him with $0m or $75m? 

Absolutely none of the attackers we have bought play in Mo's position. He is a right sided left footed forward. Jota definitely doesn't operate there, Nunez is left aligned if anything and Diaz quite evidently a left-sided forward first.

If you actually read what I am saying, it's not that we should sell him, it's that it's a disgrace we have gotten ourselves in this position. That position is not just about Salah - if you know you're going to run Salah's contract down, sell Firmino (who would also leave on a free next year) and extend Mane. 

I can't be bothered going back and forth on this because you don't actually read words, but the be all and end all is that letting Salah, Mane and Firmino all run down their contracts and walk on frees is bad from a business and sporting standpoint. We'll probably end up extending the one player who we shouldn't have, and that's Bobby.

There's no reading comprehension issue. You think the situation is a disgrace. By definition, not being in that situation would be us giving him what he wants.

I'm not even thinking about the other option, which is selling him now, for the reasons given; notably, we have already lost Mané. It's too stupid a move to even think about. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

There's no reading comprehension issue. You think the situation is a disgrace. By definiton, not being in that situation would be us giving him what he wants.

I'm not even thinking about the other option, which is selling him now, for the reasons given; notably, we have already lost Mané. It's too stupid a move to even think about. 

It's not though is it? That is, by definition, only true if you rule out the other option.

6 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

It's not though is it? That is, by definition, only true if you rule out the other option.

Well, I'll rule it out, because willingly putting ourselves in the position of having to replace Salah and Mané's attacking output in one summer is really dumb, and secondly, Salah himself will resist leaving because he'll want the bigger wages and signing on fee he would get once he's out of contract. He said a month ago he is staying.

So yeah, ruling it out. Although, you never know with how irrational football is.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Well, I'll rule it out, because willingly putting ourselves in the position of having to replace Salah and Mané's attacking output in one summer is really dumb, and secondly, Salah himself will resist leaving because he'll want the bigger wages and signing on fee he would get once he's out of contract. He said a month ago he is staying.

So yeah, ruling it out. Although, you never know with how irrational football is.

That's fine, but please don't tell me I mean something because you are ruling something else out. Cheers.

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

Champions league is worth more than the extra 10k seats they have. 

So they've given three players ridiculous wages while being out of the champions league and we can't afford to do it for one? 

I didnt/don't want it to be Salah, but absolutely did want Mane to stay. 

They're guaranteed 500k extra a week, as a minimum. They probably make double that on corporate too. That's how they paid Ozil and Aubameyang.

We're not guaranteed jack shit from the CL.

6 hours ago, m0e said:

They're guaranteed 500k extra a week, as a minimum. They probably make double that on corporate too. That's how they paid Ozil and Aubameyang.

For the last two sets of financial results the matchday revenue average:

Arsenal = 89m euro

Liverpool = 82m euro

https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/transfer-news/uk-premier-league/2022/03/deloitte-football-money-league-2022-10-clubs-who-make-most-matchday-revenue

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Arsenal = 89m euro

Liverpool = 82m euro

https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/transfer-news/uk-premier-league/2022/03/deloitte-football-money-league-2022-10-clubs-who-make-most-matchday-revenue

Nobody fucking cares. 

11 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Thiago probably got a fat signing on fee or some other scheme ,which is a way that a lot of top teams get around reduced wages and so on. 

I don't know he did. There was no suggestion at the time. We got him for the 180-200 we paid for him because that's his market rate. I know our fans want to see him as this midfield version of Messi or something, but he's nowhere near that level and is always crocked, so he just fitted into our pay structure because of that. 

9 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I would say, the one thing other factor in all of this is the rather inevitable recession. All macro indicators point to a really rough 12 months. I wonder what that means for football next season.

I dunno if it's an immediate problem due to the fact our demand outstrips supply and the way we sell tickets way in advance. Longer term though with new TV deals and commercial deals it could certainly have an impact. 

8 hours ago, m0e said:

Arsenal do about £15m per year more than us on match day without CL. They turnover about £150m less over all though. Just to put that in context, that's about 6 players on half a million per week. 

3 hours ago, Daisy said:

Arsenal = 89m euro

Liverpool = 82m euro

The difference, I would presume, is more than made up for in the difference between our European revenue and theirs??

24 minutes ago, Moo said:

The difference, I would presume, is more than made up for in the difference between our European revenue and theirs??

Yes we make significantly more with champions league, but can't afford anywhere near their wages

20 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Yes we make significantly more with champions league, but can't afford anywhere near their wages

Arsenal Wages 

2020 - £225 mil

2021 - £237 mil

Liverpool Wages

2020 - £325 mil

2021 - £314 mil

Arsenal have far more young players on their first or second contract than we do and have recently cut the squad back to it's bare bones shedding almost every high earning player in the squad (which isn't reflected above) precisely because it was crippling their wage structure and providing no value.

Their latest signing, their highest profile signing in the last two years, is on a wage of less than £200k a week.

In short, what are you banging on about you dribbling malcontent.

18 minutes ago, Daisy said:

You don't care that we can't compete with rivals with less money than us? 

What are you fucking on about? We can’t compete? Have you watched any football in the last 7 years?

You really are a special type of Troll. Get back underneath your bridge. 

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

What are you fucking on about? We can’t compete? Have you watched any football in the last 7 years?

Got beat by Spurs in the transfer window last year and Arsenal this year, still not as bad as getting beat by Everton in the transfer window of 2017 mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

If you think that the trophy haul Klopp has in his time here is worthy of his talent then that's good for you. I think it's a fucking disgrace. He's outcompeted Arsenal with his hands tied behind his back. 

8 minutes ago, Daisy said:

If you think that the trophy haul Klopp has in his time here is worthy of his talent then that's good for you. I think it's a fucking disgrace. He's outcompeted Arsenal with his hands tied behind his back. 

I don’t even know what point you’re trying to make. 

I don’t care either. Like all your other posts, it’s likely complete horse shit.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Arsenal Wages 

2020 - £225 mil

2021 - £237 mil

Liverpool Wages

2020 - £325 mil

2021 - £314 mil

Arsenal have far more young players on their first or second contract than we do and have recently cut the squad back to it's bare bones shedding almost every high earning player in the squad (which isn't reflected above) precisely because it was crippling their wage structure and providing no value.

Their latest signing, their highest profile signing in the last two years, is on a wage of less than £200k a week.

In short, what are you banging on about you dribbling malcontent.

Are you saying having lots of good players and paying them accordingly costs more than having a couple of good players and paying over the odds to keep them? It’s almost as if Liverpool are better at this football thingy than Arsenal are.

3 hours ago, Daisy said:

I'm no lover of FSG.

In any other era Klopp would have 3 titles, quite possibly at least a second Champions League (assuming the ability to actually rest some players instead of chasing City in the league) and with him signing a new contract the possibility of being close to Paisley in terms of trophies won if not surpassing him.

However, there is this slight problem a little bit down the M62 who are bankrolled by a country, committing financial rule breaches all over the shop and buying a 100 million quids worth of full backs seemingly every summer which totally skews how the world works now. 

• Upvote 6